Page 594 of 669 FirstFirst ... 94494544584590591592593594595596597598604644 ... LastLast
Results 8,896 to 8,910 of 10031

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not seeing a difference.
    Then there isn't much I can do for you

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    There is a difference between the effects of Krakoa and Krakoa/mutant culture.

effects of Krakoa would include some kids killing themselves for fun, lots of down time, being able to travel where ever you want, free food

Mutant culture would be things like the Crucible, battle marks, language, Clothes, mutant magic, mutant music

One is a byproduct the other is a deliberate creation of customs
    Time only tells the difference: some things are kept at all costs as a part of an identity, other things are discarded without a second thought.

It’s a bit annoying when the state or someone says: “This is culture.”
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Time only tells the difference: some things are kept at all costs as a part of an identity, other things are discarded without a second thought.

It’s a bit annoying when the state or someone says: “This is culture.”
    It happens IRL a lot. children tend to bastardize the culture their parents taught them. Thy keep the parts they like, and ditch the rest. Which over time results in cultural evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not seeing a difference.
    There's a difference because they say so.

I think the Weapon Plus program could be Marvel's answer to the Suicide Squad, or even, have heroes/villains voluntarily work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I think the Weapon Plus program could be Marvel's answer to the Suicide Squad, or even, have heroes/villains voluntarily work with them.
    Yeah, it's weird... the IDEA of the group works, but.... they've been used for way too much evil... despite being the origin of more than one hero.

I mean I like what’s been done with it too, I just think it can go further.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to disagree here.

Mainly because i fail to see enough thematic overlap between the two, beyond the usage of prisoners for shady government interests.

The basic concept of the Suicide Squad is that of a super hero themed penal military unit, with a name that implies a high risk/low survival rate mission parameter. Basicly The Dirty Dozen with super villains to name another popular example.

It's a platform to tell ongoing stories and to progress or explore character.

Because the Suicide Squad stories are primarily about the characters involved, allowing super villains to be more explored than they could be as pure antagonist, which when done right can either humanize them without downplaying their capacity for evil or downright reinforce why they are villains with no excuse.

The basic concepts of the Weapon Plus programm meanwhile is, as the name implies, about creating human beings as living super weapons, which can both involve modifying allready existing people (Captain America, Weapon X) or creating them from scratch.

However it's not a platform to tell ongoing stories, but an antagonistic force which primarily serves to explain where heros and villains got super powers or modifications from.
    A monster factory, which keeps spawning offshots and successors like a genie that can't be put back into the bottle anymore, not a singular team or system in which villains can be forced to perform dirty deeds for the government (even Team X was more a testing system to find candidates than a penal squad).

It's telling that the programms from which the different "Weapons" originate tend to have allready failed or been destroyed by the time their "results" start showing up. Because their main purpose is to provide an origin for characters, not being the reason they are currently doing missions (unless they are against a Weapon Plus programm).

And in all of this Marvel allready had a few Suicide Squad counterparts which were much closer thematically. X-men's own Freedom Force which actualy predates the modern usage of the Suicide Squad name by DC by two years (Uncanny X-men #199 in 1985 vs. Legends #3 in 1987) and the Thunderbolts in some incarnations come to mind.

So overall, i doubt it would make much sense to force the Weapon Plus Programm into a narrative role, which it was never meant to be used, especialy when viable alternatives allready exist.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-22-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Mainly because i fail to see enough thematic overlap between the two, beyond the usage of prisoners for shady government interests.

The basic concept of the Suicide Squad is that of a super hero themed penal military unit, with a name that implies a high risk/low survival rate mission parameter. Basicly The Dirty Dozen with super villains to name another popular example.

Because the Suicide Squad stories are primarily about the characters involved, allowing super villains to be more explored than they could be as pure antagonist, which when done right can either humanize them without downplaying their capacity for evil or downright reinforce why they are villains with no excuse.

The basic concepts of the Weapon Plus programm meanwhile is, as the name implies, about creating human beings as living super weapons, which can both involve modifying allready existing people (Captain America, Weapon X) or creating them from scratch.

However it's not a platform to tell ongoing stories, but an antagonistic force which primarily serves to explain where heros and villains got super powers or modifications from.
    A monster factory, which keeps spawning offshots and successors like a genie that can't be put back into the bottle anymore, not a singular team or system in which villains can be forced to perform dirty deeds for the government (even Team X was more a testing system to find candidates than a penal squad).

It's telling that the programms from which the different "Weapons" originate tend to have allready failed or been destroyed by the time their "results" start showing up. Because their main purpose is to provide an origin for characters, not being the reason they are currently doing missions (unless they are against a Weapon Plus programm).

And in all of this Marvel allready had a few Suicide Squad counterparts which were much closer thematically. X-men's own Freedom Force which actualy predates the modern usage of the Suicide Squad name by DC by two years (Uncanny X-men #199 in 1985 vs. Legends #3 in 1987) and the Thunderbolts in some incarnations come to mind.

So overall, i doubt it would make much sense to force the Weapon Plus Programm into a narrative role, which it was never meant to be used, especialy when viable alternatives allready exist.
    It’s been done before. There was a series called Weapon X and it featured Sabertooth, Sauron, Wolverine, Cable and Deadpool. They did missions and all that. It was pretty good from what I remember. Tieri wrote it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Dare we say, the eXpendables?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Dare we say, the eXpendables?
    We dare indeed.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Funny thing is that there's a LOT of Mutants you could put into an eXpendables team.

Don't we already have the Hellions ? Maybe replaced by the Pit team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Don't we already have the Hellions ? Maybe replaced by the Pit team ?
    Yeah, with as many X-characters as there are, you could do several teams like that.

I'm about to commit apparent blasphemy but i'm loyal to a good writer and ride or die. When i say i read 85% of Xmen stuff i only read like 20% of morrison stuff and i didn't read whedon stuff until after it finished. I was one of the undesirables, YES, i was one of the ones who followed Claremont's runs and didn't consider him the "side" writer during the Morrison and Whedon years, his book was the main line to me because it was the book that i would go to buy and got the quality i was looking for. Random unpopular opinion confession.

I did try it though, Morrison run in particular was not for me. Some standout issues but hey, i consider it what everyone expects to win an oscar with.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-14-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/