Page 597 of 668 FirstFirst ... 97497547587593594595596597598599600601607647 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,955 of 10013
    BANNED

Saw this one on Twitter and agree, and I don't think it should be unpopular but I bet it is:

Kamala Khan wouldn't have the level of popularity she has if she'd started as a mutant because the X-editorial wouldn't have tried pushing a brown character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Saw this one on Twitter and agree, and I don't think it should be unpopular but I bet it is:

Kamala Khan wouldn't have the level of popularity she has if she'd started as a mutant because the X-editorial wouldn't have tried pushing a brown character.
    Suggesting that the X-men shouldn’t absorb a major minority character into their fold where they would probably be destined to be the gal a Sentinel beats up in the background of one panel and deny X-fans the schaudenfraude of having mutants absorb all of the remaining popular Inhuman characters like the Thing? Saucy!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I don't think that's unpopular- it's pretty obvious.

there is some truth to this objectively. The x franchise has a lot more characters of color and therefore they could have just used those during marvel's diversity push around 2014/2015 which was hit and miss but i wont dive into the reasons why it was presented as all wrong and creating mutant characters at the time would not have done much for their movies. So add to the fact the inhumans were mainly white and their movies were mainly white they needed some super powered characters of color and thus influxed the inhumans with them via Kamala, Romeo, Finn, Moasic so they then had some diversity in those properties for other media. I believe Finn even showed up on Agents of Shield.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't think that's unpopular- it's pretty obvious.
    I mean if she started on as an X-character, I think it would pretty likely that her origin would have been New Jersey hating her, her family hating her, her needing to be rescued from both by the X-men and all other minority aspects being subsumed by the fact she is a mutant.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn't that have required her to be the responcibility of the X-office, rather than being an independent character who just happens to get the "mutant" origin for her super powers, which is what she would have likely been?

Being a mutant does not mean a character has to be the involved in the X-men line of comics after all. It's just the source of their powers. Or at least it used to.

Considering all those once existing minor characters with mutant as quick cheap origin for their super powers, which Joe Q. was seemingly so annoyed about, were seldomly ever the responcibility of the X-editorial unless they were created for or used by the X-men line of comics, i don't see how this should have been the case for Khamala either if she had been created in a time where the Marvel higher ups weren't actively trying to replace mutants with inhumans over movie rights.

She would have been like Molly Hayes in Runaways. Perhaps the X-men would have guest appeared for an issue, but then things would remain independent as usual.

I kinda wish we could go back to those times.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-16-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Wouldn't that have required her to be the responcibility of the X-office, rather than being an independent character who just happens to get the "mutant" origin for her super powers, which is what she would have likely been?

Being a mutant does not mean a character has to be the involved in the X-men line of comics after all. It's just the source of their powers. Or at least it used to.

Considering all those once existing minor characters with mutant as quick cheap origin for their super powers, which Joe Q. was seemingly so annoyed about, were seldomly ever the responcibility of the X-editorial unless they were created for or used by the X-men line of comics, i don't see how this should have been the case for Khamala either if she had been created in a time where the Marvel higher ups weren't actively trying to replace mutants with inhumans over movie rights.

She would have been like Molly Hayes in Runaways. Perhaps the X-men would have guest appeared for an issue, but then things would remain independent as usual.

I kinda wish we could go back to those times.
    Yeah, it just worked better. making all Mutants x-characters just... broke the fictional setting. There's just too many non-X Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I mean if she started on as an X-character, I think it would pretty likely that her origin would have been New Jersey hating her, her family hating her, her needing to be rescued from both by the X-men and all other minority aspects being subsumed by the fact she is a mutant.
    She probably would have avoided this if she was still launched with her solo series and presented as a legacy to Captain Marvel. It would have likely just been a swap of the background Inhumans stories getting replaced with mutant stories. That all being said… one of two things would have eventually happened once steam from her solo series ran out:

1) She would have had her mutant origins retconned like Wanda, Pietro, Squirrel Girl, Quake, etc.

2) She would have been roped into the x-books (like what’s happening to Firestar right now and what happened to her during Amazing X-Men) even if there isn’t really space for her. Her fate as a purely X-office character could range from background character to canon fodder. If she got REALLY really lucky she could be the Kitty Pryde/ Jubilee type character for one X-Men run.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 07-17-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    She probably would have avoided this if she was still launched with her solo series and presented as a legacy to Captain Marvel. It would have likely just been a swap of the background Inhumans stories getting replaced with mutant stories. That all being said… one of two things would have eventually happened once steam from her solo series ran out:

1) She would have had her mutant origins retconned like Wanda, Pietro, Squirrel Girl, Quake, etc.

2) She would have been roped into the x-books (like what’s happening to Firestar right now and what happened to her during Amazing X-Men) even if there isn’t really space for her. Her fate as a purely X-office character could range from background character to canon fodder. If she got REALLY really lucky she could be the Kitty Pryde/ Jubilee type character for one X-Men run.
    I doubt she would have gotten the Champions slot if the X-office was interested. Maybe as a latter addition but she wouldn’t have been one of the founding members

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I doubt she would have gotten the Champions slot if the X-office was interested. Maybe as a latter addition but she wouldn’t have been one of the founding members
    Hmmmm it's hard to say because Champions did have a founding mutant member. It's hard to speculate too much because the Marvel landscape around promoting mutants and who gets to be a mutant would have to be VERY different for that to have been part of her origin.

Astonishing Member

Hmmmm it's hard to say because Champions did have a founding mutant member. It's hard to speculate too much because the Marvel landscape around promoting mutants and who gets to be a mutant would have to be VERY different for that to have been part of her origin.
    I mean, it is worth noting that Marvel put young teenage Cyclops on their hyped up current Champions line-up when he had no historic connection to the Champions name whatsoever.....when ACTUAL previous Champion member Bobby Drake also had a young counterpart in the middle of a coming out narrative at the exact same time. Sooooo, there is a definite irony there, given that they quite willfully skipped the opportunity to spotlight the literal ONLY member of the 05 who was part of a broader marginalized community at the exact same time when he was first exploring that aspect of his identity. It doesn't suggest much for the likelihood they'd be any more progressive-minded about giving a mutant version of Kamala Khan greater opportunities for visibility by way of sharing her with the Champions book, were she overseen by the X-offices then.

Astonishing Member

The time-displaced O5 were also getting a massive push at that time. I doubt Kamela would be considered if the X-office has relegated her to the same level of push as Dust or Pixie during that time in comics.

Ultimate Member

No lies detected.

Storm says HI. What was that book that did her better than her own franchise even at the expense of the lead????

What about Sunspot? We can throw in Firestar too.

For all the gripes about the Inhumans-there were plenty of diverse ones.

Flint has a story arc (trade) to himself-what black mutant can boast that since New X-Men Academy ended?

You can't scream you are diverse and it's only wallpaper and every team you toss out is a little too white for some.

If you are not going to use them-let other offices use them and let them go.

You know looking at a lot of the upcoming stuff i actually was struck with something that to me feels like now an apparent fact. A lot of writers who happen to be male and white catch a lot of flack because when there is a group working in one line you really can't unsee the changes they do to the landscape when it comes to diversity. When i think of the team of Hickman/Leah/Tini/Duggan and see and think of the casts not all had diverse teams but over all there was a diversity there. Now if you compare that to the team of Duggan/Ewing(he does his best)Tini/Gillien you just don't see it, you can just look at the books and see it. and it made me think of people and how they feel like victims when they are catching flack but then it's like do you look at the landscape you created compared to the landscape that was there. It's kind of interesting to me that i've never had that thought before. I mean we all say we need more diverse writers to add diversity which is true but i never really thought about how when so many of one kind get together, their visual is so similar. This also extends to artists. Just a rando thought. lol *ninja vanish*

And according to hickman himself, the sells were there. and when i say diversity i mean women, people of color, lgbtq+ overall.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/