Page 6 of 655 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    -I care more about the NXM than the majority of adult X-Men these days and I'd rather read about them. I would trade any one of the X-books we have now for one about them.

-i don't mind X-23 as Wolverine but her costume looks absolutely horrible and doesn't suit her at all. I hope it gets a redesign sooner than later.

-I vastly prefer Emma Frost over Jean Grey.

-Hope Summers should be taking an active role in the current crisis.

-I don't want the X-Men movies to touch the Phoenix saga again. They tried once and failed, it's time to move on. There's plenty of other stories to choose from.

-it doesn't seem to be an unpopular opinion, but JLaw was awful as Mystique.

Yes. Even more awful was her character was completely rewritten so she came across as a blue Katniss Everdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post

-it doesn't seem to be an unpopular opinion, but JLaw was awful as Mystique.
    That is the most uncontroversial statement I have ever heard in the history of the Internet. XD

More controversial views from me:

- I vastly prefer the X-Men as teachers rather than the generic superhero team they were in most of Claremont's run (although the presence of the New Mutants, Kitty Pryde and Xavier/Magneto/Stevie Hunter etc as teachers made it work) and the 90s animated series. Sadly the 90s animated X-Men seems to be the most iconic for a lot of people

- Also related to the above, because the 90s animated series is so iconic, some people find it difficult to accept when the X-Men are made teenagers, ala X-Men Evolution and X-Men Apocalypse. For them, the X-Men were always adults. This is unfathomable to me considering the teenage experience and the school is an integral part of the mythology and the mutant metaphor, and was how this entire franchise got started.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I completely agree that you NEED to pick and choose and apply "headcanon" ( I would just say your own imagination and ability to interpret scenes ). People who only take the panels literally are kind of... nuts in my opinion. You NEED to use your own imagination to expand on the material, fill in gaps, make SENSE out of everything.

Great points about how a lot of the more recent comic storylines actually DID have a lot of great sense to them and DID fulfill long-running character arcs like you said about Rogue, Bishop, Cable, and so forth. People keep trashing all X-comics since the early 90s... it's gotten insanely out of hand and needs to stop. READ THE ACTUAL MODERN COMICS people dont just assume they suck. They are great if you pay attention!!!
    Yes. YES. I think being able to choose your own headcanon is the reason why this franchise is so interesting. I have to actively engage with the material otherwise a lot of things as written just don't make sense. It's work, but in an enjoyable way if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Edit: At this point also I believe it is actually MORE controversial to say "Claremont was a really good writer" than the reverse !!! Weird stuff is happening in the fandom
    I know right? Being a newcomer to the hardcore fandom, it is amazing how much some of the opinions of hardcore fans differ from the greater Internet. Claremont is the most obvious example. Goes to show that there are so many layers to X-Men fandom since the franchise spanned so many years and so many generations.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    - Also related to the above, because the 90s animated series is so iconic, some people find it difficult to accept when the X-Men are made teenagers, ala X-Men Evolution and X-Men Apocalypse. For them, the X-Men were always adults. This is unfathomable to me considering the teenage experience and the school is an integral part of the mythology and the mutant metaphor, and was how this entire franchise got started.
    I cannot agree enough. There's also how Evolution showed that mutants were integrated with society. They faced persecution and hardship but they still hung out with regular people.This was something Claremont did, too.

After him though, from what I've read in the 90s and onward, the X-Men became a sort of cabal that keeps to itself when it isn't saving the world. You do not promote peaceful coexistence by hiding away in your mansion fort and only interacting with "your own kind."

Dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but X-Men Evolution is great and it has my favorite Rogue.

- Cyclops is an extremely boring and and forced character, if not the most boring character in the X-Men replete with antiquated character cliches and boring hyper-masculinity tropes--and Claremont was of the right mind to discontinue the aforementioned character's narrative progression during the '80s. The worst thing that happened to Cyclops and the X-Men as a whole was his (and editorial's) refusal to completely relinquish his position on the team. The character's trajectory since the inexcusable desertion of his fatherly and marrital duties, has been nothing more than a co-option of integral plot-points stolen from characters such as Havok and Storm, in a puerile attempt at making him seem 'edgy', 'cool', and some other grimdark adjective. Unfortunately editorial's plan has worked, and many are under the impression that Cyclops' growth since the Apocalypse fiasco was of genuine origin. Lmaaaao. What a boring fraud.

- Fickle and fake X-Fans that bought titles for a long period of time under the penmanships of Bendis, Fraction, Aaron, Humphries and Austen are the reason why the X-Men have experienced a malaise of horrid stories from the 2000s till NOW. Their inability to discern between an objectively bad story that would be detrimental to the franchise going forward, and an average-to-amazing story, is why Marvel thinks that they can shackle real X-Fans with any tom dick and harry and call it a day--regardless of how utterly unfamiliar the writer is with the X-Men, its characters and its fundamental story themes. Such fans have killed the franchise, especially those who bought Bendis titles, complained about them, and still proceeded to buy more Bendis titles.

- X-Men evolution is the best X-Men adaptation ever.

- Emma Frost never should have been drafted into the X-Men's ranks in anyway shape or form--save for her being an adversary. At best she could have maintained her academy, but she should not have been allowed onto the main team. That was a big mistake, and judging by what looks like an involuntary absence on her part after an extensive period of prominence, I think she is now paying the ultimate price.

- Emma never should have gotten together with Scott. It was the worst thing that could have happened to her character.

- Cyclops is not worthy of women.

- Not sure how unpopular this is, but Mystique should have been killed infront of Rogue by either Sally Blevins or Wolfsbane. Consdering the amount of deplorable things she's done, the fact that she's seen many a light of day since the 2000s is...baffling, to say the least.

- The X-Men need NEW, fresh-faced, multi-cultural writers that have of yet to be established in the industry. AKA another later 70s/early 80s Claremont as others have said. We've been seeing things from veritably the same perspective for an age, now, they're due for a change.

- This has already been said in some way shape or form--the current crop of X-Men, including Teen Jean Grey, should be replaced by an amalgamation of the New Mutants, the New X-Men, Polaris, Sage, Bishop and Marrow.

- PAD is a boring and overrated writer.

- I would have liked to have seen a Claremont-written mini or solo issue (nah, a mini would be more fitting and filling) focusing on Stevie Hunter and the story of her knee.
    Last edited by DavidMunroe; 06-26-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post

Dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but X-Men Evolution is great and it has my favorite Rogue.
    Her cliff scene with Kurt and Mystique is legendary.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Frenzy is the hottest X-Woman.
    Thats about right. Like Gambit and Wolverine, she came to believe in the mission of the X-Men without "needing" their help or owing them something. If she would end up dying I'd believe it would happen in the defense of people around her. She went from a violent lunatic villain, to a violent sassy hero.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I can't understand why Sage and Frenzy are fan 'favourites'. A Claremont retcon pet character and a mercenary murderess? Really now, people. Really now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Agreed with Iacobusleao saying you don't like Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique is one of the most non-controversial statements imo. Disliking a actor performance is not controversial at least to me

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    - Not sure how unpopular this is, but Mystique should have been killed infront of Rogue by either Sally Blevins or Wolfsbane. Consdering the amount of deplorable things she's done, the fact that she's seen many a light of day since the 2000s is...baffling, to say the least.
    That's not going to happen. Espcially with the movies. Mystique is too popular a character to be killed off imo. Not to mention a dumb business decision to do as well. If a comic company is promoting a character both in comics and in movies. You just don't kill that character off. Even as a fan of Mystique I see your point. Yet if they do kill her it's only to bring her back stronger than ever. As apparently in the Marvel Universe coming back from the dead gives a character a upgrade in power level.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    - The X-Men need NEW, fresh-faced, multi-cultural writers that have of yet to be established in the industry. AKA another later 70s/early 80s Claremont as others have said. We've been seeing things from veritably the same perspective for an age, now, they're due for a change.
    The era of many companies taking a risk or at least one where profit is not guaranteed is over imo. Marvel and most comic companies are going to play it safe and keep with storylines that sell well. Not ones that innovate. As much as I like Rocky their no way now that movie would be greenlight now. Not without major changes and certainly not with Sylvester Stallone as the main star.
    Last edited by sureshot; 06-26-2016 at 09:48 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

I don't like Marvel heavy handed one sided racism toward mutants. Non-mutants being given a free pass on racism yet mutants are considered the root of evil. Which Marvel keeps rehashing over and over again. So the 10ft tall orange talking rock is not to be feared as he got his power from cosmic radiation. Yet the human looking mutant that fires ruby optic blasts should be attacked and possibly killed because he got his power from nuclear fallout. That makes so much sense. You want to show me racism as a comic publisher and do it properly. Then portray everyone and anyone. Non-mutant and mutant suffering the same levels of both. Spider-man being subject to attack adds by the Daiuly Bugle is nothing compared to what Mutants have been subjected to imo.

I don't like how people react to Sentinels in the Marvel Universe. Given how people react negatively to the use of drones and anything that gives the military a edge against opponents. Yet no one says anything when a giant killer anti-mutant robot rampages through a neighborhood. Let alone the cost of those things and the amount of taxpayer money used to build them. Or non-mutants go on a rampage yet are never used against them.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    I think its time for the sentinels to go away. They have become uninteresting antagonists over the past few years.Or at the very least, have the humans of the marvel universe actually protest them. I don't think people of today would be okay with giant racist terminators causing collateral damage- usually moreso than mutants- while they are hunting mutants.
    Ever hear of the drone program? People don't mind flying robotic killing machines as long as they are out of sight and are only killing random brown people. If we had super-powered people(who also have a habit of causing property damage, etc) in our world, I don't seen Sentinels being that much of a stretch.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

A few more:

It breaks my heart whenever someone says they prefer Jean with Wolverine than Scott. It really does.

People need to let go of the whole 'Scott leaving Maddie and his kid' thing. Seriously just stop.

On a related not, it's not a good excuse to hate him. Other characters have done worse things.

Wolverine's past is not that horrible.

X-men are basically soap opera with superheroes. And I like that.

Kitty should never have grown up.

Magneto is a terrorist. Plain and simple.

Any x-men who calls Cyclops a hypocrite automatically becomes a hypocrite.

I don't want a reboot of the movies, but if it happened I wouldn't mind much.

I have a sick fantasy. I want an issue where Spider-man beats the living **** out of Wolverine. (If it already exists, please tell me.)

Wolverine is totally not the best there is at what he does.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 11-20-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    A few more:

It breaks my heart whenever someone says they prefer Jean with Wolverine than Scott. It really does.

People need to let go of the whole 'Scott leaving Maddie and his kid' thing. Seriosly just stop.

On a related not, it's not a good excuse to hate him. Other characters have done worse things.

Wolverine's past is not that horrible.

X-men are basically soap opera with superheroes. And I like that.

Kitty should never have grown up.

Magneto is a terrorist. Plain and simple.

Any x-men who calls Cyclops a hypocrite automatically becomes a hypocrite.

I don't want a reboot of the movies, but if it happened I woudn't mind much.

I have a sick fantacy. I want an issue where Spider-man beats the living **** out of Wolverine. (If it already exists, please tell me.)

Wolverine is totally not the best there is at what he does.
    Jesus... Somebody on these boards is gong to hate you

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think you're a fan of the X-Movies not the X-Men. Consider that my controversial opinion.
    And your opinion is wrong. Objectively wrong. Factually wrong. Not one single basis in reality for your opinion.

Luckily, my fandom isn't based on your acceptance, or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    And your opinion is wrong. Objectively wrong. Factually wrong. Not one single basis in reality for your opinion.

Luckily, my fandom isn't based on your acceptance, or lack thereof.
    I was kinda exaggerating a bit. But you do seem to think the movies are a lot better than the comics, what is, ugh...

I don't.

I do think some things in the movies are better. I have preferences from both mediums.

And even if I do, how does that make me less of a fan just because I enjoy the movies and prefer some aspects of their take