Page 603 of 657 FirstFirst ... 103503553593599600601602603604605606607613653 ... LastLast
Results 9,031 to 9,045 of 9846

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Well, technically, if you die, but can come back, and your resurrection method can be destroyed, then you're not really immortal, are you?
    It’s not about the technique, it’s the way it changes them as characters. The way they fight, they see life… How relating to characters that are so far from you?

But anyway, X-men since House of X/P10 aren't trying to parallel the struggles of a minority in real life in the past or present. It's more of a what if if one of those minorities suddenly not only stroke rich, but got advantages (most) of the other side doesn't have, and how would the world react to it.
    They are no more a minority of humanity. The mutants that are still among the “humans”, yes, but the story is not about them…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It’s not about the technique, it’s the way it changes them as characters. The way they fight, they see life… How relating to characters that are so far from you?

They are no more a minority of humanity. The mutants that are still among the “humans”, yes, but the story is not about them…
    That second part is the point they are making Zelena.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    I know outside the us some of the minority issues is hard to understand how it doesn't stop or whatnot. But just because we have "voices" doesn't necessarily mean we are heard, so yes comics like this can be a good thing for people like me. Plus it's always been the X-men. If you want straight up heroes with powers do power things theres like 1000 books for you.
    are you saying all perspectives of race and gender must come from the United States? That what they say is a "voice" is what all other members of that group must accept? who put them in charge of telling the rest of the world how to treat each other?

Amazing Member

There was a certain comic that used rats as an analogy for the plight of real-life minorities and it worked pretty well.
    that comic was at least made by a person of the same group he was talking about. instead of the current x men run where the two headliner books are written by two white dudes telling us how we should feel about blacks and gays.

you really comparing Mouse to Krakoa?

Gillen, Ewing, Williams are all queer. I think Spurrier and Howard too (could be wrong with that). Ayala is trans and not white. Lavalle maybe straight (dunno) but no white either.
    I think of all of them, only Duggan and Percy aren't part of minorities, as far as I know.
    And that's not counting the artists, which we should.

Also as far as I know queer readers actually appreciate the analogy and like where the franchise is at for the moment (I certainly do).
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 09-26-2022 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    That second part is the point they are making Zelena.
    You are a minority if you are treated as a minority. It’s not who you are.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You are a minority if you are treated as a minority. It’s not who you are.
    In Trinidad I'm Black...not a minority.
    I'm also gay...considered by the global, socially accepted definition as a minority.
    Should I move to the US I would most certainly be considered and treated as a minority, doubly so as being Black and Gay.

It is that treatment by the rest of society than defines the very existence of those considered to be the minority...even if they/we don't personally see ourselves as such.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Israel?

10char
    Yeah, this is clearly one of the inspirations. Of course, criticisms on Israel comes both from genuine concerns about their policies and actions (many just awful), as well as from blatant antisemitism (depending on who is doing the criticism or why)

That said, the fact that Krakoa is not a previously occupied land is one of the reasons why it isn't a perfect analogy, but isn't trying to be.

I don't enjoy X-stories mixed with Otherworld and Captain Britain's lore. I can't grasp what it is exactly that bores me to hell. It's the reason I just couldn't get into Excalibur in Dawn of X. It definitely is my least favorite story-arc of Remender's X-Force. I haven't read Claremont and Davis' Excalibur, so there's still hope. I loved Moore and Davis' Captain Britain though
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don't enjoy X-stories mixed with Otherworld and Captain Britain's lore. I can't grasp what it is exactly that bores me to hell. It's the reason I just couldn't get into Excalibur in Dawn of X. It definitely is my least favorite story-arc of Remender's X-Force. I haven't read Claremont and Davis' Excalibur, so there's still hope. I loved Moore and Davis' Captain Britain though
    Me too. I'm currently re-reading X-Men and related titles from Giant-Size X-Men onwards and Excalibur was the first one I dropped. I just didn't enjoy it. The strange thing is, I like Captain Britain as a character, but Otherworld and all that side of things just doesn't appeal to me at all. That's one of quite a few reasosn that I'm not on board with Betsy's current direction.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I lost a lot of respect for Steve Orlando in the Marauders annual. Using villains as a way to scapegoat fans is a hacky move, it wasn't clever when it was Superboy prime, it wasn't clever in that, and it isn't clever in the nonsensical Young Justice thing going on now. It just makes the writer look like a baby who can't take criticism.

There's a big difference between meta commentary and literally making fans you don't like into the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I lost a lot of respect for Steve Orlando in the Marauders annual. Using villains as a way to scapegoat fans is a hacky move, it wasn't clever when it was Superboy prime, it wasn't clever in that, and it isn't clever in the nonsensical Young Justice thing going on now. It just makes the writer look like a baby who can't take criticism.

There's a big difference between meta commentary and literally making fans you don't like into the bad guys.
    I'm sorry sir, but this thread is for controversial opinions.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Oh lol I didn't know that most people didn't like Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Oh lol I didn't know that most people didn't like Orlando
    Well, I'd not say the majority dislike Orlando as a whole, but I'm struggling to think of any examples of that sort of meta-commentary that were actually well received.

Astonishing Member

LOL I do like Orlando, but I keenly remember my objections to Remender's commentary in Uncanny Avengers so fair's fair in that respect.