Page 61 of 673 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't want X-factor to come back without Peter David.
    I kinda agree. As in, X-Factor can't come back with any writer. You need a great writer who respects continuity very well for that, someone like Ewing.
    The first issue of Multiple Man seemed silly, quirky, zany to me, something X-Factor never was.

omg I loooooooooooooove EWING. I hardly think that opinion fits with the thread title but I'm saying it regardless. He. Is. So. Good.

Boisterously Confused

The X-Men work best as an oppressed underground organization. Their focus should be finding "at risk" young mutants, who they shelter and train to safely use (conceal) their powers, so those mutants can safely return to society, whether they choose to live "out" or not.

I'm aware that view can be called regressive, but comic universes have niches. The X-Men are neither the FF, nor the Avengers. Give them their own space.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It was in issue 27 or 28, when Daken remarks that cloning tech has advanced considerably in the 20 years since she was born.

And no one was talking about Adultclops.

I know. I was saying my first thought was that the person who talked about X and Tyke were referring to the older Scott, which would be weird and wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    This will be my first time posting this, so here it goes

1. Ta-Nehisi Coates is the only one besides Claremont who can write Storm.
    2. 90's X-men is overrated, there were some golden things about it, but never understood a large amount of nostalgia.
    3. There should have been a third school available for mutants during Schism apart from Wolverine and Cyclops with Storm as headmistress.
    4. Shogo is an excellent addition to Jubilee and I loved her parenting and superhero lifestyle.
    5. They should have never broken up Charlotte and Archangel. I found the dynamic interesting and would have loved to see him adopt Timmy as his son.
    6. As much as Marvel loves the 05 I would love to see them in different teams and places in the MU then just being with your teenage friends.
    7. Wolverine could have worked as Headmaster if he wasn't written as Holier than thou and made mistakes around everybody. Also, the constant Cyclops Hate got boring quickly.
    8. After Beasts pettiness with Cyclops and other things *Illuminati... cough* I don't know if I could ever forgive and read him again. I find solace in the old beast.
    9. Havok's inversion was unnecessary and an awful way to show Cyclops is a villain when you disregard actual people who have been victimized, murdered, marginalized, stripped of their rights, and have survived through genocide. Seeing the ways they push back is not villainy its survival.
    10. Havok's infamous speech could have worked if it was re-written (take out M-word is divisive) and whoever was in charge understood or studied real-life groups that have formed due to a shared aspect like disabilities, sexual preference, or victims of colonization. Those things don't change and they stay with you forever. This could of been avoided if someone sat down with Rick and explained that words like queer can be words of pride for a large group of people. Same as mutant or insert [group here].
    11. Archangel was a better villain than Apocalypse and should have lived longer becoming a villain for both Wolverine, Cyclops, Magento, and the Teen 05.
    12. Teen Angel has done nothing compared to the other 05 (besides a power upgrade that doesn't do much for him) and feels like wasted space. As much as I like the character he should have done things to uncover his future. Maybe he could have met the Apoc Twins. Perhaps it would of been better if he died during Battle of the Atom and caused some deep consequences and a motivation for the 05 to fix what went wrong.
    13. Cyclps and X-23 would of been a better couple than Angel and X-23.
    14. Wolverine and Storm would of been a better couple if she wasn't placed to pimp up Wolverine.
    15. Fantomex could of worked as a character if he wasn't made to be Gambit 2.0
    I got over the 90's EXTREME X-men pretty quick.

BANNED

It's not going to get better it's only going to get worse and if you don't like it now save yourself the time, money, and emotion and just stop reading now.

Now that Disney's getting the movie rights back, we might just see another renaissance for the franchise. I feel like there's really only been two great periods: Claremont original run(main course), and then the New X-Men/X-Treme X-Men era with Morrison and Claremont again(dessert). The original run is pretty horrible, the 90's are pretty much just circling a drain, and the modern era almost complete garbage. It is hard to be optimistic, but if there were to be a reason to be, the movie rights coming back are it. At the very least I look forward to better movies, and maybe a new animated series and video games again. It may be that a brand new day is on the horizon for this franchise, but we shall see....
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Now that Disney's getting the movie rights back, we might just see another renaissance for the franchise. I feel like there's really only been two great periods: Claremont original run(main course), and then the New X-Men/X-Treme X-Men era with Morrison and Claremont again(dessert). The original run is pretty horrible, the 90's are pretty much just circling a drain, and the modern era almost complete garbage. It is hard to be optimistic, but if there were to be a reason to be, the movie rights coming back are it. At the very least I look forward to better movies, and maybe a new animated series and video games again. It may be that a brand new day is on the horizon for this franchise, but we shall see....
    These are not things that can be controlled.

Nobody has ever decided to just do an all-time classic run on a book. Many have tried, but it doesn't work like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    These are not things that can be controlled.

Nobody has ever decided to just do an all-time classic run on a book. Many have tried, but it doesn't work like that.
    Also, Claremont's return wasn't EVEN a classic, either.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's when there was only one X-Men book: Uncanny X-Men. There was one unofficial spin-off: Dazzler. New Mutants and X-Factor came later and after that Wolverine and Excalibur as part of Marvel's "premiere books" since those two were published on Baxter Paper. There were also the occasional mini-series. I would like to see the X-Universe return to this format. Have the Uncanny X-Men as the main book. X-Factor return as it was right before it ended when it became the Suicide Squad of the Marvel Universe by having Havok lead a group of criminals. This time it does not have to be just mutant criminals. Wolverine could return as the only solo book.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I fear very much for the opposite. That the movies will destroy and reboot and the comics will follow suit, making things bland, undoing progress, all in an effort to be more accessible to casual and new readers and fans.

I do agree that the early 2000s were something of a creative boon for the comics but that was precisely due to Marvel's financial troubles, out of desperation to try to regain relevance they got rid of the comic code compliance and started to hire actually pretty interesting creative talent and editors took their hands off to a degree. It didn't last, and old fans whined like crazy over the changes.

Now Marvel is in the opposite situation largely. And they stopped caring at all about the books by now, it's merely a way to inspire enthusiasm for the movies, shows, or other merchandise/games. But they care enough about the books for editors to mandate a "return to glory" which when you try to simply emulate some other period without truly understanding what made it successful, is artificial and regressive.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 06-28-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Jeen's hairstyle and costume are my favorite iterations of Jean Greys look
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

I'd love to see Icarus and Wither brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'd love to see Icarus and Wither brought back.
    This absolutely .
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

It could well be that things don't get better, but I do think the Claremont era and the Morrison era do show signs of intentional shifts, largely because things weren't working. The original run just didn't connect with the audience, so Marvel intentionally switched things up, with the specific idea of bringing in an international team to appeal to a global market. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum delivered a largely new cast in Giant Sized based on this mandate. Now, it was a bit of serendipity that Wein was moved up to a higher editing position and allowed intern Claremont to go crazy with what he had started, and it was of course unknown then that would lead ultimately to the greatest superhero continuity, with the best selling comic to this day, of all time. But the initial intention was to shake things up and sell more, and they lucked out both creatively and financially.

The Morrison era was also intentional in that you had the X-Men movie just come out, Marvel in dire straights coming out of the 90's reorganizations/bankruptcy, and again, they knew they needed to shake things up, and they took a marginal inspiration from the film(the large school with the X-Men as teachers in black leather outfits) and let Morrison go wild with it. In both cases Marvel definitely tried, intentionally, to shake things up, and in both cases it worked. I think the conditions are right for a new phase, with the movie rights coming back to Disney/Marvel. They know the potential of this franchise, and they've pretty much spun as much gold as they could from the Avengers straw(which was a huge feat, let's be real). I think we might yet just see 3rd great rise from the ashes for the X-Men. But who knows, maybe it is all just garbage from here on out. As someone who appreciates the potential of this franchise, I hope it does get better.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!