Page 621 of 673 FirstFirst ... 121521571611617618619620621622623624625631671 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,315 of 10085

One thing is that "genetically superior" doesn't necessarily means Master Race. Having more... "efficient" for lack of a better word genes doesn't mean you should have social superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I mean race science is still bad when the "good guys" do it.

Plus I mean it kind of undercuts the mutant metaphor a lot. Mutants can't be hated and oppressed and the Master Race
    Race science is bad in the real world because it's not actually science. Mutants having access to superhuman abilities via their genetics is not the same thing. It does make them superior to humans. They have never pushed a Mutants are the Master Race agenda, that was Magneto. Even in the Krakoan era they lend their superhuman capabilities to humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Race science is bad in the real world because it's not actually science. Mutants having access to superhuman abilities via their genetics is not the same thing. It does make them superior to humans. They have never pushed a Mutants are the Master Race agenda, that was Magneto. Even in the Krakoan era they lend their superhuman capabilities to humanity.
    Ah, but, if what Kang said is true, Mutants are doomed to become too unstable genetically to be viable. Can you call it "superiority" if you can't reproduce?

Considering that's a speculative comment made by someone known to lie and not based on current reality........................................... .................

Extraordinary Member

The Kang scene comes off as an over the top insult to whoever he is seemingly trying to belittle (and sounds like it was ripped directly from some sci-fi I have seen before).

Even if there is some timeline where it was true we have seen too many futures that all just contradict each other for any of them to be evidence in any discussion at this point. Just as there are too many origins and explanations of the 'mutant gene' to get hung up on any one in particular.

Astonishing Member

Do you guys not see the sublime irony of using one villain touting his race as inevitably superior (as in lacking the innate flaws he sees in mutantkind) to prove that mutants touting their race as inevitably superior is why they're wrong and doomed? I mean, I actually do hate the whole great replacement aspect of SOME mutant stories (it has never been NEARLY as everpresent in the franchise as the base staple theme of mutant oppression has been so I find it highly suspect that people who are like 'I don't agree mutants are always oppressed' are simultaneously like 'ALL MUTANTS want to replace humanity and think they're a master race' like hmmmmm isn't that an interesting dichotomy)....

But I'm just saying, Kang in that image is literally still citing why he thinks his race will 'win' in the end and some of you are unironically rallying behind it to be like here's why mutants are wrong when they say the exact same thing about THEIR race, listen to him, he's making points.

You lose credibility when pointing to everything that's wrong about the mutant picture (and there ARE criticisms to be made of stuff like the homo superior rhetoric) only to then turn around and point with praise to something like the Kang picture only ITS THE SAME PICTURE.

I mean. ahsklhfaklhfaklfhal

(Then again, I think the marginalization metaphor is more apt than ever, because I can't help but see interesting parallels in how the second mutants started EMBRACING their own identity as a united group, a lot of people suddenly decided oh wait, I can't relate to the emphasis they're putting on prioritizing solidarity among their marginalized group distinct from main society, and thus I find myself relating more to the non-marginalized majority aka Marvel humanity and so despite MY decades of being like 'mutants are people too who deserve not to be hunted by Sentinels' I find myself agreeing wait, actually they ARE a threat who should be put on registries and policed by outsiders to their own community. It smacks of 'the second a marginalized group stops being okay with scraps this is viewed as innately aggressive by non-marginalized society.')

Astonishing Member

Like I'm literally losing my mind here. You're like "mutants use Nazi ideology' while being like 'yes to this picture of a villain ranting about how mutants are unnatural and not a REAL part of human evolution (and yes I know they AREN'T real but let's not pretend he's not talking about from an in universe perspective) and will eventually be born out as an entire race of monsters.' WHO DO YOU THINK THAT SOUNDS LIKE? lmaaaaaaao
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 03-15-2023 at 10:43 AM.

It's just another way the Tiki Torch rhetoric has infected mainstream society to the point we have to argue against thinly-veiled white supremacist/heteronormative/patriarchal talking points. ABOUT X-MEN. "I liked them better when they had no hope of escaping oppression but kept trying and failing to appeal to the morality of their oppressors." Gee, I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It's just another way the Tiki Torch rhetoric has infected mainstream society to the point we have to argue against thinly-veiled white supremacist/heteronormative/patriarchal talking points. ABOUT X-MEN. "I liked them better when they had no hope of escaping oppression but kept trying and failing to appeal to the morality of their oppressors." Gee, I wonder why?
    People love an underdog. There's more story in a struggle than a success. There's no mystery there. No reason to look for weird racist reason to hate somebody.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    People love an underdog. There's more story in a struggle than a success. There's no mystery there. No reason to look for weird racist reason to hate somebody.
    Yes, but marginalized groups aren't innately SUPPOSED to be underdogs and when you act like they are, people who don't inherently view them as 'needing' to actionably be on a level below humanity before they can feel comfortable rooting for them are gonna be like you get why that's squicky and uncomfortable right? You're basically acknowledging you only want to root for this famous marginalization metaphor when there's no danger of them ever being on ACTUAL equal footing to society, and you honestly think that has no real world implications?

What he said.

Extraordinary Member

There is a lot of "putting words in people's mouths" to push every comment to some extreme just get outraged. It is weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    There is a lot of "putting words in people's mouths" to push every comment to some extreme just get outraged. It is weird.
    Or maybe 'not actually thinking through the implications of what they're actually saying/writing' could also be something that's happening here. I agree. It is weird.

Extraordinary Member

It is a tricky subject. Not everyone views or relates to the X-Men the same way. There are 60 years of stories and no consistent portrayal or interpretation. Yes there has been a common theme, albeit applied very thinly over large periods, and then sloppily thrown all over during others.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yes, but marginalized groups aren't innately SUPPOSED to be underdogs and when you act like they are, people who don't inherently view them as 'needing' to actionably be on a level below humanity before they can feel comfortable rooting for them are gonna be like you get why that's squicky and uncomfortable right? You're basically acknowledging you only want to root for this famous marginalization metaphor when there's no danger of them ever being on ACTUAL equal footing to society, and you honestly think that has no real world implications?
    You want to just come right out and start calling people racist for not liking the same fiction you do? It really seems like that's what you want. Have you not met your social media outrage quota for the day or something?