Page 633 of 669 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,495 of 10028

Marvel has already proved 100x that they aren't letting flying brick Rogue go. I'm not sure how she's being "sidelined" when she's never not been in a book since the Krakoan era started and is back on the Uncanny Avengers but, I'm not bitter over the existence of Synch or Hope, so. We have 5 million telepaths running around but Rogue's fans swear she's the only power mimic allowed to exist. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like Rogue has been terribly underserved by being stuck with Carol's powers for so long, that she's pretty much the iconic flying tank girl for the X-peeps these days, when that *isn't her damn mutant power*. I'd love if she'd joined the X-Men and Xavier had devoted a half-freaking second to helping her learn to control *her own* mutant power (which even Joseph, a clone of Magneto, managed to spend more time working on!). But no, he just sort of let her muddle along, not really helping her at all, because she was 'more useful' as a flying tank who was stuck unable to go anywhere else due to her lack of control.

Remember when Storm lost her actual mutant powers, and *still* was a kickass useful member of the team? I think Rogue could ditch the Carol Danvers-powerset entirely, and still be a capable X-Man, learning to focus her own mutant power to refine it to steal memories, but not life-force, or share powers without knocking people out, or knock people out without downloading their personality into her noggin. 'Cause she's basically got three different touch-based powers, all wrapped up in each other, and if she could actually *choose* which, if any of them, triggered when she touched someone, she could totally rock.

But no. She was stuck for years and years using someone else's powers (IMO, more successfully than Carol herself did, during much of that time...), and mired in the angsty 'can't touch nobody' phase long past it being a sympathetic trait and well into it being kind of tired and boring and making characters that could have helped her with it (like Xavier) look like asses for not even trying.
    The worse thing to happen to Rogue in the lsat 20 years was losing her Ms. Marvel powers. She is just too iconic with them and seems off-model when she doesnt have them. Granted I did think it lead to some interesting uses and development of her under Carey, I dont want to go back to that. She is in a good place right now and I dont think they need to rehash the status quo of her losng that powerset again

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    TBH about Monet I really wish the Penance plot had been completely dropped. Hama's "explanation" that she was "the real Monet" made no sense, and it took one of the better aspects of the M character away. I am STILL pissed off at it.
    I thought he made it make sense and he did best with a crazy plotline. It salvaged Monet as a character and I dont think she'd still be around today had that not happened
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-04-2023 at 09:03 AM.

I feel like Rogue has been terribly underserved by being stuck with Carol's powers for so long, that she's pretty much the iconic flying tank girl for the X-peeps these days, when that *isn't her damn mutant power*. I'd love if she'd joined the X-Men and Xavier had devoted a half-freaking second to helping her learn to control *her own* mutant power (which even Joseph, a clone of Magneto, managed to spend more time working on!). But no, he just sort of let her muddle along, not really helping her at all, because she was 'more useful' as a flying tank who was stuck unable to go anywhere else due to her lack of control.
    That’s forever been my head canon, honestly. And I think it’s interesting as hell as a concept, because Xavier didn’t even have to be consciously doing it for it to still be true.

Remember when Storm lost her actual mutant powers, and *still* was a kickass useful member of the team? I think Rogue could ditch the Carol Danvers-powerset entirely, and still be a capable X-Man, learning to focus her own mutant power to refine it to steal memories, but not life-force, or share powers without knocking people out, or knock people out without downloading their personality into her noggin. 'Cause she's basically got three different touch-based powers, all wrapped up in each other, and if she could actually *choose* which, if any of them, triggered when she touched someone, she could totally rock.

But no. She was stuck for years and years using someone else's powers (IMO, more successfully than Carol herself did, during much of that time...), and mired in the angsty 'can't touch nobody' phase long past it being a sympathetic trait and well into it being kind of tired and boring and making characters that could have helped her with it (like Xavier) look like asses for not even trying.
    Claremont also ran with some interesting ideas on that topic with powerlessness in his original X-Treme run (and again, with the newest), which is always a cool way to explore the interiority of a character.

I also think it’s a fascinating topic to broach, since the first two times they depowered her back in the ‘80s, she was either assaulted or faced threats of it. That’s a lot to unpack psychologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Totally agree. Marvel seems to be unable to let their nostalgia go and keep returning Rogue to the same powerset. First Ms.Marvel's, then Sunfire's and now Wonder Man's. And I've lost track of how many times she learned to control her power, then lost control, gained it again, lost again, ad infinitum.

IMHO the best portrayal of Rogue in the last few decades was in X-Men Evolution where she actually used her power all the time, instead of retaining someone else's powerset forever.
    For me, it’s not even about wanting the flying brick to disappear. I love ‘90s era, too. I totally get it.

It’s more about wondering why there’s been a limitation to storytelling specific to her character when there are so many unique approaches one could take. Especially claims that her original powerset gets ignored because it’s “boring” and/or “OP” (lol), yet somehow that’s never an issue when it comes to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Marvel has already proved 100x that they aren't letting flying brick Rogue go. I'm not sure how she's being "sidelined" when she's never not been in a book since the Krakoan era started and is back on the Uncanny Avengers but, I'm not bitter over the existence of Synch or Hope, so. We have 5 million telepaths running around but Rogue's fans swear she's the only power mimic allowed to exist. Okay.
    I mean, yeah, she’s existed in some Krakoa books? She’s expensive IP with a new animated show out this fall. Marvel execs aren’t gonna let her fully wink out, no matter how much current editorial wishes both she and Gambit were gone lol.

Sidelined = being entirely erased from Destiny/Mystique’s story. You know, her mothers, who’ve been a huge part of not just her history, but also her current life.

This isn’t writers ignoring an unpopular retcon, or a one-run deep cut, or even something changed because of a popular recent movie - but their entire history together. And that’s odd.

This goes beyond just the Inferno chop - because yeah, cuts happen. Page space is finite, I get that. But having no interaction with Destiny other than those two pages in Duggan’s team book last year, until March’s exec-mandated mini— and still, zero interaction with Mystique? This entire era, when there are dozens of titles out every month revolving around the same few characters? The daughter they loved and raised together doesn’t garner even a thought or mention during all the SOS business?

Huh.

I won’t get into the Uncanny Avengers of it all, since maybe this time it’ll be different - but last time, she showed up there because the X-Office didn’t want her… and, again, weird, since her mothers are such central characters this era. Hope springs eternal she could maybe still exist peripherally in the X-universe this time.

I’ll keep shouting until I’m hoarse that I’m not here for Power Fantasy Football; I just want interesting stories about characters I like, hopefully not ignoring important relationships they’ve developed.

Anyway.

Until I get the dirt when more writer NDA’s expire, I’m sticking with my theory that Rogue shoved the current editor into his locker back in middle school or something.

Who do i have to pay for a book of mutants going around repairing damaged or destroyed planets. this is the biggest wtf for me after planet sized. like the potential.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I've come to realize Sinister is the Neegan of the X-verse and much like how too much Neegan destroyed walking dead imo it became a chore watching him skate on everything or watching characters lose every ounce of spine to fall for his uncharasmatic talk just so they can be lazy and don't have to farm or build or do anything but steal, that is sinister to the x-verse right now.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I've come to realize Sinister is the Neegan of the X-verse and much like how too much Neegan destroyed walking dead imo it became a chore watching him skate on everything or watching characters lose every ounce of spine to fall for his uncharasmatic talk just so they can be lazy and don't have to farm or build or do anything but steal, that is sinister to the x-verse right now.
    Yeah I'm quite done with Sinister especially after Sins and I hope they just make him a full on villain. I'm not thrilled that all 4 will be present after the event but I think Stasis will be the main player as he was taken out of Sins very early and is with Orchis. But I need the mutants to not forgive or ignore what diamond Sinister has done this time.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Don’t know if its unpopular but both scott and logan were better off when jean was death especially scott. And scott may not like utopia era scoot but in imo it was great character progression from 90’s scott into the 10’s

Astonishing Member

Opinion:
    The Krakoan Age under Hickman marked the greatest opportunity for Marvel as a whole, not just the X-Men, to escape the prison of ‘world outside your window’ and Marvel time and editorial were cowards, cowards I say, for not seizing the opportunity

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Opinion:
    The Krakoan Age under Hickman marked the greatest opportunity for Marvel as a whole, not just the X-Men, to escape the prison of ‘world outside your window’ and Marvel time and editorial were cowards, cowards I say, for not seizing the opportunity
    The bigger problem is the entire concept was incredibly flawed from the foundation. It's NOT something that a new status quo should be built around. And it only works because the rotten parts of the core are either ignored or handwaved away off-panel rather than addressed in-story.

Opinion:
    pure facts. so many locations, locales, dimensions created for ALL heroes to explore and yet "No, we scared of beyond the outside the window. our fans need to feel safe with what they know." but eh.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Secret Wars too. Would had loved if Marvel stayed on BattleWorld instead.

Astonishing Member

Opinion:
    And yet the "Nation of Krakoa" concept could only exist or be justified thanks to how the Marvel Comics universe is forced to stagnate under the "world outside your window" mandate (combined with people in charge of the comics interfering because of personal grudges).

So it would have been somewhat ironic if this would be the status quo allowed to break the mandate, because it would raise the question of why this rather than any other one in the 60 years of publishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The bigger problem is the entire concept was incredibly flawed from the foundation. It's NOT something that a new status quo should be built around. And it only works because the rotten parts of the core are either ignored or handwaved away off-panel rather than addressed in-story.
    It's telling that Hickman seemingly only had a 3 year plan and promised to "put the toys back in the box", giving the implication of an elaborate rise and fall of a nation story, rather than trying to create a promised land that is meant to last generations.

Which is a foundation that is unlikely to be fixable without starting from scratch again.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Secret Wars too. Would had loved if Marvel stayed on BattleWorld instead.
    Would the readers have though?
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-14-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is true with any power set actually. Super strength flight telepathy, oh everyone can have those( to the point that flying spitting in face of any law of physics conceivable is considered...mundane by many fan and writers as well) but a unusual power...oh it DEFINE the character only Him/Her can have it! Because a superabilitybis th eonly thing we care about the character apparently...I mean if more people with Spider power weaken OG spiderman that mean Peter does ot have much under his belt to appeal readers other than his spider powers. Is weird limited view of fictional characters.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    pure facts. so many locations, locales, dimensions created for ALL heroes to explore and yet "No, we scared of beyond the outside the window. our fans need to feel safe with what they know." but eh.
    Yeah the " world outside the window" as well as the sliding timeline kind put an heavy limit to where the stories can go naturally. And as the world outside window change, many stories simply do not make sense anymore anyway. But considering that even a simple " being married" is seen as freaking heresy by Marfel editorial staff( I do not know how the Richards, the Summers or cage family avoided being "singled" albeit seem that as for Scott and Jean they are working toward that...)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    This is true with any power set actually. Super strength flight telepathy, oh everyone can have those( to the point that flying spitting in face of any law of physics conceivable is considered...mundane by many fan and writers as well) but a unusual power...oh it DEFINE the character only Him/Her can have it! Because a superabilitybis th eonly thing we care about the character apparently...I mean if more people with Spider power weaken OG spiderman that mean Peter does ot have much under his belt to appeal readers other than his spider powers. Is weird limited view of fictional characters.
    It seems like some characters get 'been there, done that' in the view of both readers and writers, and any sort of legacy can do 'everything X can do, plus Y!' New Spider-clones get all of Peter's powers, plus toxic stingers or a poison bite or organic webs or invisibility or blasts. Even Daken, the first 'new Wolverine' got pheromones, *in addition to* everything Logan could do.

But not always, other spin-offs, like Namorita, cannot explicitly do (IIRC) everything Namor can do, plus some other stuff. Which may be part of why she isn't as successful as Akihiro or Miles?