Page 638 of 669 FirstFirst ... 138538588628634635636637638639640641642648 ... LastLast
Results 9,556 to 9,570 of 10029
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Which is just another one the narrative problems about mutants and their supposed power.

It's canon that technology exists that renders mutant powers useless and it doesn't matter if they are omega or not. And it's not even something special and a one of a kind type of thing like the Ultimate Nullifier. It's the kind of stuff anybody with money and some connections can come up with.

But then you also have Magneto proclaiming they have new gods. Okay.
    This narrative would work and be coherent if it would be actually shown as hubris and a reminder that they are other formidable forces out there who won't just roll over. But that's not really what we are getting. Instead we have this weird mix where mutants are getting wanked like Sins of Sinister currently but we also have stuff like the scans that I showed, X-Force and many other instances where mutants are getting clowned on. Mutants terraform Mars but they also cower in fear from big robots.

Like what is it? Pick a lane in your narrative. This is the kind of stuff you see when you have different writers but they are not actually in sync with each other and there isn't even really an excuse for that. This is one franchise with one office overseeing it all.
    Im not a Hickman fan but he clearly had a vision of what he was going for even if someone of it was questionable. I don't think the current X-office has a vision at all. Hickman created a playground and now the others are just playing it. No offense to anyone by the way. The writers are decent themselves but the feeling of things being coherent is missing and has been missing for quite some time.
    Agree. Power dampeners are so weird. And instead of technology they seems to work more like magic, especially in case of mutants with no organic body like Rockslide, Mercury, Iceman in ice form, Emma in diamond form, Colossus in metal form, etc. How can you block x-gene in someone with no genes at all, because their body is now made of stone, or ice? Or whose body is apparently works only because of their powers like Fever Pitch, Glob Herman, without their powers they should just die on the spot. Or how dampeners works on shapeshifters, sometime they revert to their normal form, in other cases they are stuck and can't revert back.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The "reality" is the fictional story in which they're framed. There's no Orchis "IRL". If Hickman wrote them in-story as difficult to attack and get rid of then canonically that's what they are.
    Does it makes sense...? Enh! It's superheroics...nothing makes much sense if you were to examine under a micro-scope.

Thing is...we haven't seen Orchis acting in full capacity as a singular organisation. So far they've been lurking gathering information and increasing their membership while certain individuals take little stabs here and there. But there really hasn't been a full-on concerted attack at least not until the pending FoX where they're slated to make their move.
    On the one hand I agree, it is all just fiction, so whatever writers wants to write they would write. But on the other hand, it is the same world, so it should work by the same rules, otherwise it's just falls apart and nothing have any meaning. If in one story Magneto can bring meteors and bombard Mars with them, then there should be an explanation as to why he can't just summon few more and obliterate Orchis with them. Or why Lactuca and Exodus together can move entire island from one planet to another with pinpoint accuracy, but can't teleport Orchis station into the center of the sun. Or why Jean can defeat a freaking god of fear and nightmares with barely any effort, but can't just find and brainwash everyone who works for Orchis to forget about their hatred and become good people. She don't have a problem with mind controlling entire race (Brood) to stop them from killing, so brainwashing some genocidal humans should be also no problem.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Hickman gave a brief (yes, seemingly implausible) explanation as to why they and Magneto failed to take down Orchis on those many attempts. I suggest you read Inferno. If you choose not to believe it or agree with it...take it up with Hickman? I don't know what to tell you.

As for Jean...She's not the one mind-controlling the Brood. Broo is. And he is probably the only one who can given the King Egg and his Brood genetics.
    I suppose she could mind-control the human Orchis operatives but what about Omega Sentinel, Nimrod, T-Moira 10?
    How long do you expect her mind-control to last? Or do you think she should be sitting in a room somewhere just spending all her time making sure her mind-control of the entire Orchis bases don't falter and break?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Jott (and nostalgia in the X-line in general) need a hard "no." Like harder than Joe Quesada when he is being rude about a redhead character hard. Stop it. No!

On a related note to the first opinion: stop grouping the New Mutants together in teams. People get older and stop hanging out with the same people from high school. It happens. FFS.

After giving it some thought, chimeras, like all character amalgamations, a concept Marvel does every other Tuesday, are lame. We don't need Green Magneto or Redcrawler or Magiklossus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the omega thing/list is picked up again in Fall of X. I believe the list was created for a specific purpose that was left dangling along with other plot points but since it sounds like they're circling back on a lot of early things, that could be one of them.
    Hmmm. I agree that it was created for a specific purpose. But I think that purpose was the terraformation of Mars which already happened obviously.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

The "reality" is the fictional story in which they're framed. There's no Orchis "IRL". If Hickman wrote them in-story as difficult to attack and get rid of then canonically that's what they are.
    Does it makes sense...? Enh! It's superheroics...nothing makes much sense if you were to examine under a micro-scope.

Thing is...we haven't seen Orchis acting in full capacity as a singular organisation. So far they've been lurking gathering information and increasing their membership while certain individuals take little stabs here and there. But there really hasn't been a full-on concerted attack at least not until the pending FoX where they're slated to make their move.
    Wait. What?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Fantastic Member

Hickman gave a brief (yes, seemingly implausible) explanation as to why they and Magneto failed to take down Orchis on those many attempts. I suggest you read Inferno. If you choose not to believe it or agree with it...take it up with Hickman? I don't know what to tell you.

As for Jean...She's not the one mind-controlling the Brood. Broo is. And he is probably the only one who can given the King Egg and his Brood genetics.
    I suppose she could mind-control the human Orchis operatives but what about Omega Sentinel, Nimrod, T-Moira 10?
    How long do you expect her mind-control to last? Or do you think she should be sitting in a room somewhere just spending all her time making sure her mind-control of the entire Orchis bases don't falter and break?
    I remember Inferno, but it was just a short remark. And it is exactly what I'm talking about, there is no consistency. They write characters uber-powerful in one book, and in another they are useless. There should have been a data page, or several that describes dozens of different attempts to destroy Orchis and why they failed. Kind of how back then when Gillen was first time writing the Uncanny X-Men and they needed to stop Juggernaut. He showed various different plans and combinations of different mutants. But now to stop Orchis their best plan is to keep sending X-Force on suicide missions. It is just lazy writing.

As for Jean, I hadn't said what she is mind controlling Brood, I said what she have no problem (i.e. moral problem) with entire race being mind controlled, to make them behave differently. So, she should have no problem as well with rewriting minds of everyone who works for Orchis to forget about their hatred and become good people. I'm not suggesting for her to constantly mind control them, but to completely rewrite their memories and personalities once.

Wow people really are blaming hickman the guy who brought new life to this franchise, for the mediocre crap writers are doing after him. This literally like when we blame morrison for what we got after new x-men before the messiah era.

I blame marvel and editorial and their support of a broken system. Hickman was basically allowed to do what he want except apparently end something successful and from there editorial did everything they could to stifle and hold down the books including getting rid of all the writers who wanted to play in the sandbox and replacing them with writers that wanted to judge with another franchise and here we are. marvel allowed that, hickman got to sit back and look like a prize while they dismantled it. i remember the "marvel is allowing me to play in the sand box later and basically do what i want." not his fault but this destruction was long planned and would have happened sooner but those pesky digital sales and fan excitement got in the way. I know i'm already pulling back from marvel cause this has the same feel. And i'm being strategic in what i preorder like the books marvel don't want you to be able to subscribe to. Scarlet Witch 5, Red 11 and 12, and Avengers #1 in the long run though it's more upfront i will save because other books i can easily jump off and on when things go left.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-20-2023 at 03:21 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Agree. Power dampeners are so weird. And instead of technology they seems to work more like magic, especially in case of mutants with no organic body like Rockslide, Mercury, Iceman in ice form, Emma in diamond form, Colossus in metal form, etc. How can you block x-gene in someone with no genes at all, because their body is now made of stone, or ice? Or whose body is apparently works only because of their powers like Fever Pitch, Glob Herman, without their powers they should just die on the spot. Or how dampeners works on shapeshifters, sometime they revert to their normal form, in other cases they are stuck and can't revert back.
    I can actually ignore the actual working of them since the mutant powers themselves are basically magic. A single gene deciding if you have a longer neck or have control over elemental forces has nothing to do with science even the in-universe they try to paint it that way. It's fair that a counter to them is on equal grounds because of it. Though you bring up a good point about how the interactions with mutants who are no longer fully human should work.

But the way these elements are used in the stories is really infuriating. Like what's stopping all the human villains of equipping everything and everyone with it? Nothing. There is no given story reason for this. The bases of the villains should be untouchable because of it.
    X-Force died countless times attacking the Orchis base but realistically the entire base should be outfitted with a power dampener that makes any attack suicidal to begin with. And just like that you have actually given a plausible and in-story reason as for why the villains remain untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I blame marvel and editorial and their support of a broken system. Hickman was basically allowed to do what he want except apparently end something successful and from there editorial did everything they could to stifle and hold down the books including getting rid of all the writers who wanted to play in the sandbox and replacing them with writers that wanted to judge with another franchise and here we are. marvel allowed that, hickman got to sit back and look like a prize while they dismantled it. i remember the "marvel is allowing me to play in the sand box later and basically do what i want." not his fault but this destruction was long planned and would have happened sooner but those pesky digital sales and fan excitement got in the way. I know i'm already pulling back from marvel cause this has the same feel. And i'm being strategic in what i preorder like the books marvel don't want you to be able to subscribe to. Scarlet Witch 5, Red 11 and 12, and Avengers #1 in the long run though it's more upfront i will save because other books i can easily jump off and on when things go left.
    I honestly would solely blame the X-Office. It's clear the problem lies with them. Hickman still has ties to Marvel after all. He is given two new series where he is given free reign again after all. But Kelly Thompson has also said that she actually wanted to write a X-book but the office kept shutting her down. It's obvious how much she likes and understands the characters if you look at her work on Captain Marvel. Many are saying the characters are better written there then they are in the actual X-books. While I personally don't like bringing it up it's also quite apparent the office isn't really diverse. You can ironically almost see this as an allegory for how people with different views are not welcome.
    Last edited by Galerion; 04-20-2023 at 04:22 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I can actually ignore the actual working of them since the mutant powers themselves are basically magic. A single gene deciding if you have a longer neck or have control over elemental forces has nothing to do with science even the in-universe they try to paint it that way. It's fair that a counter to them is on equal grounds because of it. Though you bring up a good point about how the interactions with mutants who are no longer fully human should work.

But the way these elements are used in the stories is really infuriating. Like what's stopping all the human villains of equipping everything and everyone with it? Nothing. There is no given story reason for this. The bases of the villains should be untouchable because of it.
    X-Force died countless times attacking the Orchis base but realistically the entire base should be outfitted with a power dampener that makes any attack suicidal to begin with. And just like that you have actually given a plausible and in-story reason as for why the villains remain untouchable.

I honestly would solely blame the X-Office. It's clear the problem lies with them. Hickman still has ties to Marvel after all. He is given two new series where he is given free reign again after all. But Kelly Thompson has also said that she actually wanted to write a X-book but the office kept shutting her down. It's obvious how much she likes and understands the characters if you look at her work on Captain Marvel. Many are saying the characters are better written there then they are in the actual X-books. While I personally don't like bringing it up it's also quite apparent the office isn't really diverse. You can ironically almost see this as an allegory for how people with different views are not welcome.
    I can't disagree with any of this. Bu the part that makes me think it's beyond the x-office is because shops were not ordering the reboot, they were happy to have x-men as the stepchild and attack it's apparrent diversity so why would the x-office kill it's own momentum, sales, and critical acclaim just to go back to the same. But there is no rights somewhere else now so it really makes you wonder.maybe a mad dash to be relevant or shape the movie verse before the checks are out of reach.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    I remember Inferno, but it was just a short remark. And it is exactly what I'm talking about, there is no consistency. They write characters uber-powerful in one book, and in another they are useless. There should have been a data page, or several that describes dozens of different attempts to destroy Orchis and why they failed. Kind of how back then when Gillen was first time writing the Uncanny X-Men and they needed to stop Juggernaut. He showed various different plans and combinations of different mutants. But now to stop Orchis their best plan is to keep sending X-Force on suicide missions. It is just lazy writing.

As for Jean, I hadn't said what she is mind controlling Brood, I said what she have no problem (i.e. moral problem) with entire race being mind controlled, to make them behave differently. So, she should have no problem as well with rewriting minds of everyone who works for Orchis to forget about their hatred and become good people. I'm not suggesting for her to constantly mind control them, but to completely rewrite their memories and personalities once.
    I know what you meant...I was pointing out that it's two different scenarios because of what and who's involved, requiring two different approaches. Think of it as a nature vs nurture difference between the Brood and Orchis.

Jean wouldn't do that.

Emma, absolutely...but not Jean. Canonically rewriting personalities and minds never stick and...that still doesn't take care of Nimrod, OS and T-Moira 10 everybody else are just "support staff"
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I want the polygamy angle played up more. I want to see Jean and Scott as non monogamous but still married, I want it spelled out not between the lines that logan and jean and scott and emma are both fully couples and it isn't a sex thing (well not ONLY a sex thing) but they all have hard core feelings for each other and lean on each other... and as such scott and logan and jean and emma being paramours act like siblings.

I also want some members of teh mutant nation to not be cool with it. I want an open an honest discussion of what it means to be poly right in a book.

Heck I want Gambit and Rogue to 'defend' it but be wrong thinking it is just a sex thing... cause they don't mind bringing a third in but they are still just a couple.

I also want someone like stark to make a joke about it and have someone like steve rogers get REAL uncomfortable and not know how to react.

I don't want this to be "X-men 37 the poly issue" I want it to unfold across multi titles slowly but openly.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

This entire comment needs to be on a billboard.

The X-Office being, by far, the least diverse one at Marvel will never not be super depressing to me lmao.

What's more depressing is how many people come out of the woodworks to defend the X-Office's perpetual homogeneity like it's their job. White supremacy culture where? Bro culture where?