Page 645 of 669 FirstFirst ... 145545595635641642643644645646647648649655 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,675 of 10026
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You're so committed to that line, I love it. Ride it til the wheels fall off babe.
    It's not untrue. Once Marvel decided "mutants actually aren't really human" that ship sailed

No one can take your own unique version of reading comprehension away from you.

If otherworld has been around for over 2 million years and is the nexus of all reality how is it possible mutants are withbreed there but all mutants are supposedly deviants. @_@
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I can buy mutants as a persecuted species in the Marvel Universe, but I don't buy them as a good metaphor for any real minority, actually I feel this idea of mutants serving as a metaphor for persecuted groups is just a way of Marvel having their cake and eating it too.

Instead of using black, asian or LGBTQ+ characters they have Kit or Cyclops getting side eyed by some bigot. Instead of discussing racism or homophobia they talk about how Betsy suffers prejudice for her X-gene.

It reminds me of that Warren Ellis story, where a tech genius born with health issues and desfigured by radiation, went after the X-Men because they all looked like supermodels and movie stars, but walked around crying about how people didn't like they could brainwash them or pulverize a building with their eyes.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 04-25-2023 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    What outcome are you talking about ? That we readers only saw known characters being ressurected ? Yeah, I don't think we would care seeing random genoshans going out of eggs (although we COULD have if we still had X-Factor. Still mad about it)
    Well, how many minor characters haven't been?

If you were cheering on old woman Storm in SATB, you might have been cheering on a villain.

She skipped resurrection avoiding Sinister’s corruption but some clues may show she was still corrupted.

In XMR, she refuses to accept a throne. In SATB, she’s confined to something like Xavier’s chair. But really, with the devotion showed to her, and her actions before death, it’s more like a throne.

In 80s X-Men, Storm was instrumental to releasing New York from Kulan Gath’s reality warp regardless of the lives involved or affected. In SATB, she rationalizes the Sinister universe has life, too, and should continue even if it is evil. She isn’t indifferent, she took steps to ensure the Sinister universe is protected in its corrupted form.

Uhmmm. This wasn't a reality warp though. This is just how reality went with a chance to reset it. But everyone lived out their natural lives according to how the story was plotted here.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    If you were cheering on old woman Storm in SATB, you might have been cheering on a villain.

She skipped resurrection avoiding Sinister’s corruption but some clues may show she was still corrupted.

In XMR, she refuses to accept a throne. In SATB, she’s confined to something like Xavier’s chair. But really, with the devotion showed to her, and her actions before death, it’s more like a throne.

In 80s X-Men, Storm was instrumental to releasing New York from Kulan Gath’s reality warp regardless of the lives involved or affected. In SATB, she rationalizes the Sinister universe has life, too, and should continue even if it is evil. She isn’t indifferent, she took steps to ensure the Sinister universe is protected in its corrupted form.
    No, she protected the lives of people living in the Sinister universe, not all of whom were corrupted. Good lord, talk about a bad faith interpretation fhaklhfklafhlahfaklfa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    What really stunned me was the resurrection thing. The hate some felt raised as though a badge was being taken away with each mutant rebirth. It was the cancerverse, that was answered, it was clones, though lorna was used a vehicle to show it wasnt. Then it was there are no stakes, like wtf it's a comic. And so on and so forth until they HAD to judge them, make them deviants, i don't know maybe creators are completely plugged out but you can't ignore the things you read and then stories showing up basically giving the wank job of a lifetime to conform to those things when the story itself doesn't make much sense and is literally out of left field.
    How was Lorna used to show they're not clones? I missed that part and I've been waiting for a writer to eventually address that.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

No one can take your own unique version of reading comprehension away from you.
    Hey it was Marvels editorial decision to make it from "mutants are a type of human" to "mutants are as different from humans as an alien species"

Hell even the literal Inhumans didn't go the "well they aren't really human actually" route

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    How was Lorna used to show they're not clones? I missed that part and I've been waiting for a writer to eventually address that.
    i believe it was in house of X or powers but i don't really feel like getting my hardcover. Lorna is with Magneto when a mutant gets brought back and he goes through explaining it and she mentions them being clones and that's when they talk about the id. i think there is a data page too.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

I disagree. If you replace superhuman abilities with some other trait, the metaphor stands, especially with the puberty element re: LGBTQ people. As far as society was concerned, I was a normal little boy like any other until I realized I was gay. I agree that the potential for mutant powers to be uncontrollable, dangerous, or both adds to the nuance around the topic but that makes it even richer, not less understandable. There's no good answer for how to deal with mutants, but sentinels and sterilization definitely aren't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I agree. The element of superpowers increases the stakes and adds some additional complications to the equation, but it still works perfectly fine as a metaphor. It especially doesn’t need to be a 1:1 comparison now that there are more diverse characters throughout Marvel comics.
    True, the narrative potential to draw comparisons between aspects of being a mutant in the Marvel universe and various real world situations is well known and the element of the super natural does add an additional interesting dimension to it.

It also strongly plays into the classic super hero ideal of "personal responcibility". With the additional aspect that unlike freak accidents and so on, mutants never had the chance to avoid gaining their powers (or what their powers would be).

However to me, that's more a quality for an "indirect" metaphor than a direct one, simply because the super power aspect also creates a situation in which using too direct comparisons to the real world, robs the story of important in universe considerations.

Though, i might misunderstand the difference between a direct and indirect metaphor here.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, how many minor characters haven't been?
    I'm sorry I really don't get what you mean.

I'm human, so don't make me take a side in a conflict between humans and the protagonists... because you'll lose.

(this goes for the apes of Planet of the Apes, too)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I'm sorry I really don't get what you mean.
    did you read the thread about who HASn'T been res?