Page 69 of 673 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169569 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 10085
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Storm is incredibly overrated and extremely boring.
    I think there's always the issue that an extremely powerful character doesn't bode that well in a weak setting, that's why she gets nerfed or KO ed easily

BANNED

I think in some to many ways, Storm has become a prisoner of her iconography, and everything she represents.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    I think in some to many ways, Storm has become a prisoner of her iconography, and everything she represents.
    Please elaborate, you've got something going on there

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    That's how I'd describe Cyclops. Storm just hasn't had anyone willing to give her a plot in decades.
    I think Cyclops is boring in the same way Captain America is boring, but it doesn't make either boring to read. They just aren't exciting personalities, probably partially because of who they are and what they represent meaning they're under a ton of constant pressure to be calm, rational, measured, etc. That's why I thought mutant revolutionary Cyclops was an organic next step for the character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I found Wolverine's X-Force far more entertaining that any Cable lead X-Force, even when that is his baby.
    I didn’t know that’s an unpopular opinion. I enjoyed Wolverines X-Force waaaay more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I think Cyclops is boring in the same way Captain America is boring, but it doesn't make either boring to read. They just aren't exciting personalities, probably partially because of who they are and what they represent meaning they're under a ton of constant pressure to be calm, rational, measured, etc. That's why I thought mutant revolutionary Cyclops was an organic next step for the character.
    All of the X-Men are under pressure to be measured. Most of them are capable of tearing everything up if they let themselves go. It's not an uncommon trait.

Right, but not all of them have the public title "Leader of the X-Men." Except Storm (and now Kitty). If the team is supposed to be the shining example of mutants as a positive force for good in the world, Cyclops has to be the most perfect example of that as a figurehead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Please elaborate, you've got something going on there
    Well, I think these days creators are pretty apprehensive about doing anything too dramatic and/or drastic with her, for... reasons. And I also think moderate to casual fans, have been conditioned to shy away from engaging in most conversations involving her, due to some unending, eXtreme posturing by a vocally aggressive contingent of her fanbase. With them, it seems to be more about Storm the infallible feats machine, and less about Ororo the flawed, multifaceted character. Hence why she's often labeled as boring, and complained about as just being... there. Most the time, only the surface qualities of Storm get any play in the modern day, and even then... it's usually done in a decidedly superficial way.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbz_A View Post
    I didn’t know that’s an unpopular opinion. I enjoyed Wolverines X-Force waaaay more.
    X-Force and Uncanny X-Force (Wolverine's killing squads basically) are generaññy well regarded tittles for most of the fanbase, The Dark Angel Saga by Remender in particular, but some people still prefer Cable as the leader (nothing wrong with of course is just a difference of opinion), i found Logan's tennure far more interesting than anything that Nathan did with that group. Logan leading a buch of people as damagrd and dysfuntional as him, was a lot of fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Right, but not all of them have the public title "Leader of the X-Men." Except Storm (and now Kitty). If the team is supposed to be the shining example of mutants as a positive force for good in the world, Cyclops has to be the most perfect example of that as a figurehead.
    The majority of your popular longtime X-Men and some of the youngers can lead and they're not exactly running around being delinquents (besides Logan). Power and responsibility is pretty much a thing for every X-Man. Pretty basic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Well, I think these days creators are pretty apprehensive about doing anything too dramatic and/or drastic with her, for... reasons. And I also think moderate to casual fans, have been conditioned to shy away from engaging in most conversations involving her, due to some unending, eXtreme posturing by a vocally aggressive contingent of her fanbase. With them, it seems to be more about Storm the infallible feats machine, and less about Ororo the flawed, multifaceted character. Hence why she's often labeled as boring, and complained about as just being... there. Most the time, only the surface qualities of Storm get any play in the modern day, and even then... it's usually done in a decidedly superficial way.
    To add to the Storm conversation: the latest, most interesting thing about her character is the fact that she’s not comfortable and might actually resent with the school aspect of Xavier’s Dream methodology.

I’d love to read a more thorough examination of this characterization, as it puts her in opposition to the standard cookie cutter expectations of X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    To add to the Storm conversation: the latest, most interesting thing about her character is the fact that she’s not comfortable and might actually resent with the school aspect of Xavier’s Dream methodology.

I’d love to read a more thorough examination of this characterization, as it puts her in opposition to the standard cookie cutter expectations of X-Men.
    Whereabouts has this been hit upon? It seems like they've always portrayed her as being one of the biggest proponents of Xavier's ideology in all respects, right up there with Jean & Cyke/Kurt & Kitty. So is it just the school bit she's possibly developing a distaste for, or the Professor's whole peaceful coeXistence mantra altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    For my money, Scott wasn't 'edgy' for a while.
    The characterization was more of a "heavy is the head that wears the crown" type - he was making tough choices in terrible situations for very understandable reasons.

He didn't get "edgy" until the mutant revolution shtick.
    To me, that stuff just came off as a very public and dangerous mid-life crisis.

I think Storm is boring because of her fans.
    They're pretty toxic and won't accept any characterization that doesn't treat her as some kind of all-powerful reincarnation of Gaia, the mother spirit of the Universe.
    And if you disagree with them, it's because you're obviously a racist sexist monster.

Praise be!!

<yawn>
    The storm fans you talk about could be Black Panther and Storm fans, people who like them as a couple.

It’s from the recent “Should the X-Men be teachers” thread still on the front page. I’m on a phone right now or I’d supply links to the first mention. Anyway, it was yogaflame’s assertion from how she was written by Claremont in X-Treme X-Men v1... specifically during the Schism arc of that series. I’m sure it was primarily written to separate the tone, goals, and intention of both books.

In any case, like you I assumed Storm would be a good student of Xavier’s and fully support his school as an extension of his dream... but it’s VERY interesting if she’s instead having her own unique perspective regarding his ideology versus methodology.

I don’t think she’s written that way for all the reasons you list, but given the time and author of XXM, it’s compelling. Storm having a unique opinion among the X-Men of the X-Men mission can only be a good thing for her character. No?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    The storm fans you talk about could be Black Panther and Storm fans, people who like them as a couple.
    Nah, Storm fandom's been like this since before Reginald Hudlin ever wrote a comic.