Page 71 of 664 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171571 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 9955
    BANNED

Oh poor underepresented white guys. Always the villain and definitely not usually the center heroic figures of the stories.

...Man, what is it like in fantasy land?

But he/she is not wrong per se. The majority of villains are in fact white guys. The fact that they are also disproportionately represented on the heroic side doesn’t change that. I say we could have more diverse villains as well as heroes. In fact, I’m quite interested in Persephone because she appears to be a black female. Rare in the villain field.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's not so much that writers don't want to take risks with minority characters, it's just that they're judged differently when they do so because of double standards. White men in comics, as in life, often can get away with doing blatantly immoral and sadistic acts while still being portrayed as edgy and badass, whereas anyone else trying to do the same would instantly be branded a psychopath.
    I hadn't thought about it eXactly like that, really, but there's certainly a lot of legitimacy in what you say. Straight, white male characters are afforded carte blanche like no others, with little to no worry of blowback, and that's some eXclusive crap. And it's never gonna change, if people keep buying into & rationalizing the reasons for it being that way. The status quo needs to be challenged, when inequality being eXcused as unfortunate but understandable, is an accepted part of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    But he/she is not wrong per se. The majority of villains are in fact white guys. The fact that they are also disproportionately represented on the heroic side doesn’t change that. I say we could have more diverse villains as well as heroes. In fact, I’m quite interested in Persephone because she appears to be a black female. Rare in the villain field.
    Yes we know. Some folks like to see "the other" as the villains. But let there be more than one heroic "diverse" character on a team and it's a national crisis.

Why wouldn't there be way more white male villains for way more white male heroes?

Ugh.

Meanwhile folks have to beg for Storm to not get knocked out in every issue. Lol
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 10-07-2018 at 05:31 PM.

I think people are okay with taking more risks with characters of color when a) there are more characters of color and b) you hire more talent that are POC.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Meanwhile folks have to beg for Storm to not get knocked out in every issue. Lol
    I wonder about this.

When characters display a great amount of power or score a convincing win(s) over certain characters, we tend to impose a certain degree of expectation in regards to that character's fighting proficiency.
    And that's to be expected.

However, the thing about fighting, actual real-life fighting, is that it's largely unpredictable.
    Sure, a person who is trained and has ability will win most of the time, but it is still a dangerous and wild situation where anything can happen.
    You can have the best plan, the best strategy, the best training, and still fail. All it takes is one misstep - one 'Zig' where you should've 'Zagged' - and it's all over.

Many times, comic book fights feel like a foregone conclusion, especially with the X-men.
    Storm, Wolverine, Magneto, and Jean all feel practically invincible. So when the story needs for them to lose an altercation, to a significant portion of the fandom, it will always feel like Out-Of-Character writing.

I don't know if that's what's happening with Storm (it could be really egregious), but it might offer an explanation. I remember a while back Teen Jean got taken out or took somebody out via head kick(?), and everyone was howling with disbelief. I'm not saying we should buy Galactus being taken out by the Prowler via karate chop, but humans do lose fights sometimes.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Unpopular opinion: I am all in on Marvel creating an another junior X-Team with all-new characters.

Kind of start from scratch. Make most of the Academy X/Morrison crew villains or live lives outside of the X-Men and handpick three or so to actually promote and market as the 'next big thing' ie Kamala, Miles, and Nova in the main squad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Oh poor underepresented white guys. Always the villain and definitely not usually the center heroic figures of the stories.

...Man, what is it like in fantasy land?
    Actually is both

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I think people are okay with taking more risks with characters of color when a) there are more characters of color and b) you hire more talent that are POC.
    I think is a very complex issue, I've laid out a side of the story, but I'd like to hear your opinion on having more diverse villains and how'd certain story would change or be perceived if the lead was race bended

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Actually is both
    Actually neither of those sarcastic points are true. Hence the reference to fantasy land.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    I think is a very complex issue, I've laid out a side of the story, but I'd like to hear your opinion on having more diverse villains and how'd certain story would change or be perceived if the lead was race bended
    It is a complex issue, because for minorities everything negative one of us might do implicitly reflects poorly on all the rest of us, whereas white people face no such problems. That so many minority super villains have been portrayed as racist caricatures in the past doesn't help matters either.

Genosha should go back to its mutant slaving regime.

All alternate futures should compressed into DOFP. Cable and Bishop should Infinity Warp into a single, surly, black mutant cyborg.

Mojo is delightfully weird, and I hate he’s from an alternate dimension bent on bad, old ideas about entertainment culture.

I kind of liked the X-Men movie costumes from the OG trilogy. I think they fit the covert ops style they were going for.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I think Cyclops is boring in the same way Captain America is boring, but it doesn't make either boring to read. They just aren't exciting personalities, probably partially because of who they are and what they represent meaning they're under a ton of constant pressure to be calm, rational, measured, etc.
    IMO, every team *needs* a couple of 'boring' stable people who aren't all edge-y or controversial or temperamental or argumentative. If *every* member of the team is a fractious 'doesn't play well with others' drama queen like Wolverine has sometimes been, it stops being a 'team' and starts becoming an episode of The Real World, scripted for maximum 'totally not scripted' fights and arguments and misunderstandings.

As such, Cyclops (or Captain America, or Colossus, or Wonder Man) may not bring the big, big drama, but, IMO, they are vital, since they ground the team and allow those who *do* bring the big, big drama to shine. If everybody is a raving nutjob, then the 'whacky one' has to be doubly whacky and go full screaming-Deadpool-diva to even get noticed.

Put a bunch of people who fly off the handle all the time or hog the spotlight with their dramatics, on the same team and I think it would be a hot mess. Some more reasonable sorts need to be in the mix to temper the metal and / or herd the cats.

That said, I could read a one-shot with a team including three or four high-drama sorts like Kitty and Quentin on a team with Wolverine attempting to be the 'adult in the room' and silently acknowledging what a thankless job Scott had, all those years...

Monet St. Croix should not have telepathy, telekinesis, or anything considered traditional "psychic powers".

A flying super-strong super-tough super beauty with super intelligence is quite enough --and basically the casual expression of her brand kit.