Page 82 of 663 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182582 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 9936
    Mighty Member

I hate the mutant discrimination angle. Either that part of the mutant aspect should be downplayed or go away entirely.

"But real minorities and race relations don't work that way."

To which I say, that's exactly the point. Look, I know fiction reflects reality, but sometimes, fiction needs to make concessions with reality since

A) We read comics to get away from reality in addition to emotional attachment.
    B) Excessive darkness leads to audience apathy and contempt.

Every single terrible future the mutants fight against never feels like they've changed the course of history. It only feels like they're delaying their own genocide at the hands of the next big threat. It stops being triumphant and only further makes the X-Men look inept at their jobs and makes the humans of the Marvel Universe dumber than dirt, moreso than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont mind that for Shatterstar but I would say Rictor shouldnt have been turned gay. It would have been better had he been bi
    I prefer Rictor bi and Shatterstar pansexual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Every single terrible future the mutants fight against never feels like they've changed the course of history. It only feels like they're delaying their own genocide at the hands of the next big threat. It stops being triumphant and only further makes the X-Men look inept at their jobs and makes the humans of the Marvel Universe dumber than dirt, moreso than usual.
    This is the point. Humans are dumber than dirt, and we are only slowly staving off our own inevitable destruction, just look at the environment, that is our En Saba Nur, our Apocalypse. Even though we, as a species know it, we do little to nothing to really change it as we continue to ravage our planet's resources, and pollute it at the same time. Humans, as a species are unbelievably self-important, and in our arrogance and pride we continue to destroy the very thing that allows us to exist.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I hate the mutant discrimination angle. Either that part of the mutant aspect should be downplayed or go away entirely.

To which I say, that's exactly the point. Look, I know fiction reflects reality, but sometimes, fiction needs to make concessions with reality since

I actually agree with the last statement but also, we read to find answers and with really good writers, they use the mutant discrimination angle to paint a picture through graphic metaphor or whatever to posit an answer of sorts, and that's what make good use of the rich myths and characters available.

What I don't see is them worldbuilding with the xmen in the larger MU anymore and how they're affected by things like systemic and policy oppression, how codified it is in the very fabric of the society they live in and have to be heroes in so many other areas than just firefights and combat. The community angle needs diplomats and politicians and doctors and artists that are all fighting racism from every corner of society they operate from!

Challenge the Industrial Prison complex! There should be more pushback from science communities and academics and liberals trying to police mutant resistance and disprove their existence through reports and technocracy etc.
    What has the Xavier institute contributed to the World in ways mutants should be handled in the world? What are the lasting traditions of the Xavier institute's graduates and the programs created for and by them thus?

There's so much hatred in the world and it mutates and there's always going to be resistance to it and it mutates alongside, it's what mutants and specifically X-men rise to the challenge to fight or shirk away from

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I actually agree with the last statement but also, we read to find answers and with really good writers, they use the mutant discrimination angle to paint a picture through graphic metaphor or whatever to posit an answer of sorts, and that's what make good use of the rich myths and characters available.

What I don't see is them worldbuilding with the xmen in the larger MU anymore and how they're affected by things like systemic and policy oppression, how codified it is in the very fabric of the society they live in and have to be heroes in so many other areas than just firefights and combat. The community angle needs diplomats and politicians and doctors and artists that are all fighting racism from every corner of society they operate from!

Challenge the Industrial Prison complex! There should be more pushback from science communities and academics and liberals trying to police mutant resistance and disprove their existence through reports and technocracy etc.
    What has the Xavier institute contributed to the World in ways mutants should be handled in the world? What are the lasting traditions of the Xavier institute's graduates and the programs created for and by them thus?

There's so much hatred in the world and it mutates and there's always going to be resistance to it and it mutates alongside, it's what mutants and specifically X-men rise to the challenge to fight or shirk away from
    I like this post!!!

Fantastic Member

Rogue is a good character, but Ganbit just dragged her to the ground. Gambit and rogue has a few noisy fans, most people do not support this couple, For this reason the current sales. Gambit and rogue as an idea to die in the 90s.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    And Liefeld is a damn good artist.
    I don't know that I'd call him "good," but I can see why he was such a big deal back in the late '80s and early '90s. He's extremely dynamic and does come up with some interesting layouts every now and then. Honestly, outside of a few notable pieces, most of his work's been very consistent.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I couldn’t (respectfully) disagree more.

Regarding 616 humans being dumber than dirt”- many real life humans are the same. We repeat history with wars and conflicts over and over and don’t grow and learn as much as we should.

Regarding reading to escape. Well. You have a valid point if that’s your preference. But I don’t agree at all because I like to read things that mirror the real world - when it’s mirored in fiction it helps me think about it in ways I didn’t(or couldn’t) think about it in real life.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I don't know if it's unpopular but it's probably controversial that I hope that Beast dies in Disassembled.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I don't know if it's unpopular but it's probably controversial that I hope that Beast dies in Disassembled.
    I think most people would prefer Beast die than continue to be what he’s became these past few years.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Regarding reading to escape. Well. You have a valid point if that’s your preference. But I don’t agree at all because I like to read things that mirror the real world - when it’s mirored in fiction it helps me think about it in ways I didn’t(or couldn’t) think about it in real life.
    If that's your sentiment, more power to you. I just don't like how I feel like reaching for a bottle of wine every time a bad future has been averted since I know Ahab, Apocalypse, or a Sentinel is just sitting around the corner.

Speaking of real life parallels, does anyone else have a problem with how the mutant cure is almost always vilified as the death sentence of the mutant race. On one hand, you have total pieces of **** like the Stryker who would use it in a heartbeat. On the other, you have mutants like the kid from Ultimate X-Men who kills anyone within a certain radius of him.

If that's your sentiment, more power to you. I just don't like how I feel like reaching for a bottle of wine every time a bad future has been averted since I know Ahab, Apocalypse, or a Sentinel is just sitting around the corner.

Speaking of real life parallels, does anyone else have a problem with how the mutant cure is almost always vilified as the death sentence of the mutant race. On one hand, you have total pieces of **** like the Stryker who would use it in a heartbeat. On the other, you have mutants like the kid from Ultimate X-Men who kills anyone within a certain radius of him.
    I do agree that the idea of a cure is presented in a polAr manner every time which is sad.

In reality it would be a nice alternative for willing participants who choose it for themselves, in cases where their power is a danger to themselves or others and they can’t control it.

But I guess this doesn’t make for much conflict, keep in mind. And without conflict means no story. By nature, comics as an ongoing story can’t really get many clear cut happy endings.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

The issue in-universe with a cure is that the police are so absurdly anti-mutant that they would always use it on any mutant brought into custody, regardless of want. In essence, it would be a death sentence for mutant kind.

Secondly, it falls back to the "oppressed minority" angle, with real-life parallels to gay conversion therapy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post

Secondly, it falls back to the "oppressed minority" angle, with real-life parallels to gay conversion therapy.
    My problem is that there are limits to the parallels since gay people are not inherently dangerous to the public (despite what some politicians say), but a mutant who goes to sleep and can involuntarily pull nightmares into reality that go on rampages are inherently dangerous.

The fact that mutants need to be trained to manage their gifts by a specialized institute sounds more like behavioral therapy for autistic kids. I'm sure that's going to be an allegory one day.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 12-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.

My problem is that there are limits to the parallels since gay people are not inherently dangerous to the public (despite what some politicians say), but a mutant who goes to sleep and can involuntarily pull nightmares into reality that go on rampages are inherently dangerous.

The fact that mutants need to be trained to manage their gifts by a specialized institute sounds more like behavioral therapy for autistic kids. I'm sure that's going to be an allegory one day.
    There are limits, but the parallels are there in that it was something they were born with, that some despise simply because they were born that way, and are attempting to "cure" them of that without their consent. It's not a 100% translation of the issue, but it is extremely similar.