Page 87 of 655 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187587 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 9824

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Eh. Remember how the X-Men had a LITERAL PR team during Utopia and it still made no great difference?
    They had PR to try and fix their already horrible public perception which was built off of several years worth of being hated and looked down upon. Cyclops hiring a PR firm for a few months wasnt going to make a dent in that

It doesnt help when you have politicians with agendas that rally up people and spread their hate. It shouldnt be too hard to buy as this literally happens all the time in real life. From the first issue, Magneto's attack on Cape Citadel gave them ammunition to spread anti-mutant proaganda and for any progress the X-men have made to detract from that, tons of evil mutants have set them back. They've made it a habit of taking in those same villians that the public have seen be terrorists and murders and its no surprise that people are confused and hate them. It would be like the US government taking in Osama Bin Laden and trooping around with him like he was our own

The Avengers are backed by the government and even when questionable things go wrong for them, they tend to be quick to clean it up and have an amazing PR team to keep public perception high. They have the government helping them out which comes with privileges that the X-men arent afforded
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-01-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Eh. Remember how the X-Men had a LITERAL PR team during Utopia and it still made no great difference?
    It started to work. Then AvX happened and Cyclops declared himself ruler of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It started to work. Then AvX happened and Cyclops declared himself ruler of the world.
    Except that isn't what happened... at all...

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

The X-Men were the villains in the second half of the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Except that isn't what happened... at all...
    I'm exaggerating, but she essentially became their propaganda machine.

Last edited by LordUltimus; 02-01-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

My controversial opinion: The X-Men have possibly the best ensemble casts in all of superhero comics.

How is that controversial? Well, one of the things people seem to like to argue about is whose favorite is better. Yet, there are a lot of characters. Many of them who engage with the same themes, strengths and flaws, but who resonate with different people in different ways. And not everyone will like or get every character. However, that doesn't mean they're bad characters. There are far fewer "bad characters" than all the message board fights and "Worst X-Men" listicles would have people believe.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    My controversial opinion: The X-Men have possibly the best ensemble casts in all of superhero comics.

How is that controversial? Well, one of the things people seem to like to argue about is whose favorite is better. Yet, there are a lot of characters. Many of them who engage with the same themes, strengths and flaws, but who resonate with different people in different ways. And not everyone will like or get every character. However, that doesn't mean they're bad characters. There are far fewer "bad characters" than all the message board fights and "Worst X-Men" listicles would have people believe.
    Thats not a controversial opinion on an X-men forum board

I get what he’s saying tho. X-Men is chock full of difficult people, all interacting and challenging the others to accept and understand them. Wolverine is problematic AF, but his continued exposure to other strong personalities and heroic ideals is Character Growth. I think what goes wrong is when we spend too much time talking about powers, and expecting exemplary teamwork. X-Men is best when it’s neckdeep in personality conflict.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats not a controversial opinion on an X-men forum board
    Well, this post kind of stems from my recently writing a long thread on Twitter explaining why I thought Jubilee is one of the best characters in X-Men (despite her frequent appearances on "Worst X-Men" lists). And while I was glad that I got the person to understand my reasons even if he didn't see it the same way, I think maybe there's a point where we have to accept that some people just aren't going to get why you think a character is great. And there are lots of people on here that get a little too defensive of their faves (I've probably been one of them myself). So, maybe more a commentary on the fans than a controversial opinion.

You want a real opinion. Okay, here goes:

I don't care who was right. You know what I'm talking about.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That's not an unpopular opinion.
    You mean you haven't heard about how FOX made the X-Men costumes better and more realistic? I want to come to your world.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I don't think that's ever been controversial. The X-Men have been popular as long as I've been reading and that's been a very very long time. I'm not even talking about the ones who read X-Men exclusively but general comics readers. Though, there are plenty of X-Men fans that seem to only carry a torch for 1-2 characters while trashing everyone else. There was a poll recently that asked "Are you an X-Men or a X-Man fan." And X-Man won by a landslide. People talk about Wanda and the Avengers and their responsibility for the deaths of mutants then talk about the X-Men in some of the most degrading ways like some sort of Darwinism going on. Some wait for the next X-Death with bated breath with polls and everything. There is irony and then there is real irony that comes tumbling down on top of you like an avalanche.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Cyclops looks better without the full head covered. The Jim Lee era look is the best look he ever had. Every costume since they goes back to the head condom look is just not good. The worst by far was giant red x across his face costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Cyclops looks better without the full head covered. The Jim Lee era look is the best look he ever had. Every costume since they goes back to the head condom look is just not good. The worst by far was giant red x across his face costume.
    Jim Era look being the best may be controversial, but I think overall most people prefer him without condom head.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Unpopular/Controversial Opinion #145,558

Everything that we know about the X-Universe is a sham. The X-Men never existed. Charles Xavier was killed by his stepfather, Kurt Marko, in a drunken fit of rage. What we've been experiencing these last few decades are psionic simulations -- think of them as terminal psionic secretions, or echoes of mental death rattles -- brought to you by the fading embers of Charles' psyche. His mind was so powerful that it created a reality that did not exist. In the real 616, Charles was the only mutant. The only mutant. And he is gone.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Unpopular/Controversial Opinion #145,558

Everything that we know about the X-Universe is a sham. The X-Men never existed. Charles Xavier was killed by his stepfather, Kurt Marko, in a drunken fit of rage. What we've been experiencing these last few decades are psionic simulations -- think of them as terminal psionic secretions, or echoes of mental death rattles -- brought to you by the fading embers of Charles' psyche. His mind was so powerful that it created a reality that did not exist. In the real 616, Charles was the only mutant. The only mutant. And he is gone.
    Hello sir may I introduce you to the what if? thread?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Jim Era look being the best may be controversial, but I think overall most people prefer him without condom head.
    I can vouch for this.