Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wonder Woman Should Be Gay

When I've made these threads for other characters I've suggested creating an alternate gay version of the character, but not here. The mainline, New 52 Wonder Woman should be gay. She should have a revelation that her current flirtations with dudes are not fulfilling and should eventually start batting for the other team.

Wonder Woman has always been a gay icon. She is the D.C. character it most makes sense to switch. And her relationships with dudes have always been boring, IMO, it might be a lot more interesting to have her explore other options.

I would be fine with bisexual, as well, but I'd rather have her just be gay.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    When I've made these threads for other characters I've suggested creating an alternate gay version of the character, but not here. The mainline, New 52 Wonder Woman should be gay. She should have a revelation that her current flirtations with dudes are not fulfilling and should eventually start batting for the other team.

Wonder Woman has always been a gay icon. She is the D.C. character it most makes sense to switch. And her relationships with dudes have always been boring, IMO, it might be a lot more interesting to have her explore other options.

No. She really should NOT be gay.

She's bisexual and pretty much always has been. Earlier writers just didn't want to state it too explicitly for fear of censorship.

Her whole concept is that she loves EVERYONE. She doesn't judge people (unless Johns is writing her.) And she protects everyone's rights to be who they are.

She is NOT a gay icon. She's very popular among the gay community because she represents a society built on love and acceptance of all people. But Dr. Marston never intended for her to belong to any one group. Like Superman, she belongs to the world. She belongs to everyone.

Making her gay cuts her off from potential stories and love interests. Do I mind if someone puts her in a fairly long-term relationship with a woman? Not at all. In fact, I'd probably enjoy that story unless it was incredibly badly written.

And speak for yourself. I've enjoyed most of her relationships with men. Her relationship with Superman is one of the few true bright spots in the New 52 for me.

This should just about sum it all up.

wonderwoman10c wonder woman loves everyone.jpg
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

No, she should bang anything.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I don't think she's speaking sexually there. There's a difference between loving all of humanity, in a general sense, and preference in who you want to have sex with.

BANNED

This again. [sigh]

I don't know why, but the idea doesn't work for Wonder Woman. This comes from a cheesecake fan with a great appreciation for HLA. Normally, for most attractive heroines (and sexy villainesses), I love it when they get frisky with another woman. Plus, lesbian relationships are usually more interesting than straight or gay ones.

But Diana's different. Maybe because its too obvious and trite, or some other reason I can't define. But I prefer Diana as straight, when with just about anyone else I'd be demanding she be pure out and out lesbian. She's just more interesting that way. It makes her separate from her sisters, as "the only straight woman on Paradise Island."

BANNED

I HATE that whole idea. So many times I've seen people say that because she comes from and island of women, she has to be gay and that's so cliched, closed minded and stereotypical.

It's readily apparent that Wonder Woman doesn't have to be gay herself, in order to be a gay icon. Besides it flies in the face of 70 years of established continuity.

I'm all for positive representations of the LGBT community in comics, but I don't feel like you should retroactively change a character's sexuality in order to appease a certain fanbase. That's a clumsy hamfisted approach that reeks of a political mandate.
    Last edited by Razor Tiara; 06-27-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I don't think she's speaking sexually there. There's a difference between loving all of humanity, in a general sense, and preference in who you want to have sex with.
    I didn't say it did talk about her sexuality.

But she loves everyone and doesn't judge people.

I also think you missed all the other stuff I said in my post. Diana was pretty much ALWAYS intended to be bisexual.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

When I've made these threads for other characters I've suggested creating an alternate gay version of the character, but not here.
    Let me guess, you cant read about a character unless he's like you? Well i'm a white, straight male (i am checking my priviledge as we speak) and i cant read about people who arent that. So i say WW should be male, Cyborg should be white, the only Lantern colour that exists should be white, and Batwoman should become straight. And male.
    The mainline, New 52 Wonder Woman should be gay. She should have a revelation that her current flirtations with dudes are not fulfilling and should eventually start batting for the other team.
    Her original role as intended by Marston was coming to our world and teaching us equality between sexes. She already comes from an island of perfect, immortal women, she's already a demigoddess, she was born/created by immaculate conception (till now) and she comes here to tell us how to do things. I'd say that if she were gay too, the first thing everyone would say is "how do you know anything about man-woman relationships, the very thing you are trying to preach to us about?"

So she HAS to be straight. She has to date Steve, she has to deal with men.

Batwoman was created as a gay character that deals with all the prejudices. Her origin is built around that, she was kicked out of the army because she was gay and her way to serve was to become a vigilante.
    Wonder Woman has always been a gay icon.
    Without being gay.

She is fighting for equality between the sexes, why cant someone fight for gay people without being himself gay?
    She is the D.C. character it most makes sense to switch. And her relationships with dudes have always been boring, IMO, it might be a lot more interesting to have her explore other options.
    Or they can just write those relationships better. But if Clark and Lois Lane bore you too, i'm sure we could turn them gay too.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 06-27-2014 at 08:49 AM.

No. She really should NOT be gay.

She's bisexual and pretty much always has been.
    First time i hear about this.
    Earlier writers just didn't want to state it too explicitly for fear of censorship.
    No, DC didnt allow Rucka and Simone to go through with it, so they pushed their own agenda with innuendos. Basically Simone cant NOT have someone in her book who isnt gay (it probably has to do with her knowing her fans too well). If she's writing the WW book, then guess what, WW is gay. Her mom too. I'm surprised her Batgirl didnt suddendly become one too.
    Her whole concept is that she loves EVERYONE. She doesn't judge people (unless Johns is writing her.) And she protects everyone's rights to be who they are.
    That doesnt make someone gay. If so, then Jesus was gay, Superman is gay, and so on.
    She is NOT a gay icon. She's very popular among the gay community because she represents a society built on love and acceptance of all people. But Dr. Marston never intended for her to belong to any one group. Like Superman, she belongs to the world. She belongs to everyone.

Making her gay cuts her off from potential stories and love interests. Do I mind if someone puts her in a fairly long-term relationship with a woman? Not at all. In fact, I'd probably enjoy that story unless it was incredibly badly written.

And speak for yourself. I've enjoyed most of her relationships with men. Her relationship with Superman is one of the few true bright spots in the New 52 for me.

This should just about sum it all up.

wonderwoman10c wonder woman loves everyone.jpg
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 06-27-2014 at 08:50 AM.

But what about her nonexistent male partner?
    BB

BANNED

I didn't say it did talk about her sexuality.

But she loves everyone and doesn't judge people.

I also think you missed all the other stuff I said in my post. Diana was pretty much ALWAYS intended to be bisexual.
    Like I said, even though I would prefer gay, I'd be okay with bisexual. Let's see her be bisexual.

BANNED

as far as i'm concerned, diana isn't even bi. she's never had a female relationship partner. people can argue subtext all they want, she's never had a relationship with a woman. now you could argue bi-curious with all the kinky bdsm but the fact that it never amounted to a full on relationship and the whole reason she left her home was for a guy just goes to show she prefers men. and the i love everyone bit really wasn't talking about sexual orientation.

and i'm with razor, you want an icon to represent a community, make one. stop changing characters for the sake of pc when it all it does is alienate the majority of people who loved the character the way they were before. it's the same reason people don't like nu-wallly, your essentially changing big parts of who they are and calling them the same person when in reality, they're just token shells of their former selves
    Last edited by kidstandout; 06-27-2014 at 08:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Let me guess, you cant read about a character unless he's like you?
    You're jumping to conclusions there. I am straight. I just like to read about a diverse range of characters.

BANNED

You're jumping to conclusions there. I am straight. I just like to read about a diverse range of characters.
    honestly your better served finding a new character instead of needlessly changing diana into a token

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    honestly your better served finding a new character instead of needlessly changing diana into a token
    As I've said in all of the other threads I've made about gay characters, whether a character is a token or not depends entirely on the writing and the execution, not race, gender, sexuality, or other features.