Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

SR = Absolute waste of time.

One viewing will always be one too many, for me

1 Reason not to revisit Supes Returns.

It's a retelling of Supes 78 with an extra 30 minutes of the Superkid. Seriously, they go shot-for-shot some times.

It's just like The Force Awakens. Like, can you folks tell people this so we can skip it and wait until you start actually coming up with new stories? Freaking waste of time and money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Found an article talking about it HERE
    Thanks for pointing that out. Apparently there was an alternate opening scene that cost 10M. At that price they should have kept in the movie. http://www.timothysykes.com/2013/11/...eleted-scenes/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRV_Mfgv3QU

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I still think that Kevin Spacey might be the best Lex Luthor the movies have had, and the fact he played it a little ott yet still threatening works far better to me than Eisenburg. Whenever I see House of Cards I can easil see him being a more ruthless President Lex Luthor instead. And listen to this Call of Duty: Advanced Warefare trailer where this could easily be a Lex Luthor speech...

In SR, Spacey played a rip-off of Gene Hackman.

In House of Cards he played the best Luthor that's ever been(esp. the first two seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I know what your saying mate. With I don't blame Cavil for BvS. Snyder went full Bat-Crazy with BvS. It's a Batman movie featuring Superman. Sad thing about both MOS and BvS is that for Superman's character there are shades of brilliance in how he acts and interacts with people.

All his scenes with Lois are great.

His scenes with his mom are also great.

You gotta admire Supes though. Even after Luthor bombed the Capitol, killed all those people, had Martha kidnapped, threw Lois off a roof and orchestrated a fight between him and Batman, Superman still chooses to save Luthor from his own monstrosity.

Again, because it was the right thing to do.

I really do feel that Superman gets a bad rap in these Snyder movies. Compared to the Superman of Superman II and Returns, Cavil Superman actually accomplishes a lot. But after BvS all you hear about is how bad Superman was and how awesome Batman was. A psychotic, murderous, paranoid, and extreme measures Batman was A-ok with nearly everybody, but Superman is the one who "needs fixing". Guy can't win for losing, I guess.
    I thought Cavill and Adams had zero chemistry.

I'd never go so far as to say that Superman Returns is a bad movie in the same way the last Fantastic Four movie was bad. However, this movie was forgettable for so many reasons. Turning Superman into a deadbeat dad and having him leave Earth for such a long time...it just makes no sense. On top of that, this movie is indirectly responsible for the craptastic results we got in X3, a movie that Simon Kinburg has gone on record as saying was a mistake. So for that reason, I can never forgive Superman Returns.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I prefer Routh to Cavill myself.

but I see, moments, that Cavill impresses me. I think he isn't a great superman yet, but MAY be, if the movies improve.

Retired

When I see terms like "deadbeat dad" used with such regularity in every anti-SR post--and those exact words, all the time--it makes me wonder: Did each person watch the movie and think exactly that--"deadbeat dad"--when watching the movie. Or did they already have that term given to them or did they not know what they thought exactly but they saw the term and adopted that?

It bothers me when posters parrot the same tract. I see the same thing done to BVS. I can believe that people independently, watching these movies without knowing what other people think about them, can have a similar response. But it's the putting that response into the exact same formulation of words that bothers me.

It shows a stupendous lack of effort. I guess the counter-argument is that these movies are so bad that they don't deserve original effort, so it's okay to parrot the same lines and not look for new ways to express an opinion. But then, why bother at all? Why did SR and now BVS generate so many posts where people pretty much just kept saying the same thing over and over?

I mean, I always thought the worse thing you could do to a movie--or any piece of art--is not talk about it at all. If SUPERMAN RETURNS had come out and nobody ever talked about it ever ever. That would be a really honking big nail in its coffin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    and discover it's better than we remember.
    No. It's not.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'd never go so far as to say that Superman Returns is a bad movie in the same way the last Fantastic Four movie was bad. However, this movie was forgettable for so many reasons. Turning Superman into a deadbeat dad and having him leave Earth for such a long time...it just makes no sense. On top of that, this movie is indirectly responsible for the craptastic results we got in X3, a movie that Simon Kinburg has gone on record as saying was a mistake. So for that reason, I can never forgive Superman Returns.
    SR wasn't responsible for X-3, Fox throwing a temper tantrum was. They were the ones who chose to sabotage their own franchise out of spite just because Singer went off and did Superman. Ditto the guy who played Cyclops. I get the desire to hate on SR but let's get mad at it for what it was. Not what some other studio chose to do with their own franchise.

And for all the hate I give MOS, Cavill isn't a bad Superman, he just gets bad material to work with.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When I see terms like "deadbeat dad" used with such regularity in every anti-SR post--and those exact words, all the time--it makes me wonder: Did each person watch the movie and think exactly that--"deadbeat dad"--when watching the movie. Or did they already have that term given to them or did they not know what they thought exactly but they saw the term and adopted that?

It bothers me when posters parrot the same tract. I see the same thing done to BVS. I can believe that people independently, watching these movies without knowing what other people think about them, can have a similar response. But it's the putting that response into the exact same formulation of words that bothers me.

It shows a stupendous lack of effort. I guess the counter-argument is that these movies are so bad that they don't deserve original effort, so it's okay to parrot the same lines and not look for new ways to express an opinion. But then, why bother at all? Why did SR and now BVS generate so many posts where people pretty much just kept saying the same thing over and over?

I mean, I always thought the worse thing you could do to a movie--or any piece of art--is not talk about it at all. If SUPERMAN RETURNS had come out and nobody ever talked about it ever ever. That would be a really honking big nail in its coffin.
    Up until the end where he goes off and leaves the now super-powered kid with Lois and her new husband I would agree with you. Lois didn't tell anyone, even Superman, he was his kid. So I get that. And she wanted her new man to think it was his. So I get that too. I also get Superman wanting to respect her wishes. But I think this is all gonna come out once the kid starts lifting furniture over his head and Superdad is nowhere to be seen. Now, I know there was supposed to be a sequel (with Brainiac, YEAH!) where he supposedly comes back into the kid's life but leaving it up in the air like that with no guarantee of another movie was kind of irresponsible. Clark of all people knows the kind of special guidance growing up with super-powers takes. This struck me as being too dependent on the idea that a sequel was guaranteed.

Amazing Member

TEN YEARS!!! Wow!

Decent mix of drama & camp, but, for a sequel, it felt like an origin movie. Otherwise, lot of the criticisms I hear are just personal bias. Needed more action to have better mainstream (box office) success.
    Last edited by Yahnoos; 06-27-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Spectacular Member The Lonely Man's Avatar

When I think of some of the worst comic book movies ever made my mind always go to movies like Ghost Rider : Spirit of Vengeance, Green Lantern and Fantastic Four, the new one.
    Superman Returns, whilst not great or even good, is nowhere near the depths those fellas plumbed.

I'd also add, that I prefer Superman Returns over Man of Steel. Routh made a believable Superman. The scene where he saves the aeroplane in the sports stadium and the entire world erupts in applause as they catch sight of him, for me, I love that scene. It made the movie. It's the kind of feel good impossible stuff that only Superman could pull off.
    It made me smile and took me back who knows how many years to Christopher Reeve holding Lois Lane in one hand and a helicopter in the other whilst little boy me's heart pumped so fast.
    It's feel good stuff, it's Superman at his core. Returns at least attempted to embrace that aspect of Superman.
    Mtgglf

Quote Originally Posted by conan1982 View Post
    Kevin Spacey blows away Mark Zuckerberg as Lex Luthor. 'nuff said!
    Ironically, Frank Underwood is a better Luthor than the Luthors we've seen in film.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    On top of that, this movie is indirectly responsible for the craptastic results we got in X3, a movie that Simon Kinburg has gone on record as saying was a mistake. So for that reason, I can never forgive Superman Returns.
    Delusional nonsense. Both movies suck, but neither is responsible for the other sucking. Don't blame Ratner, either. He was hired to direct from a ready-and-waiting script.