Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Isn't it common knowledge that x-rays can't penetrate lead?
    Why would a super-power from an alien being necessarily follow earthly rules? How does Luthor know he has this power in the first place? Since you decided to revisit, though... how did Luthor get a lead-lined wheelchair through a security line at a government building in the first place? A hearing like that would have had insane amounts of security. Guess it was magic Snyder plot-proof lead, huh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPirate View Post
    Why would a super-power from an alien being necessarily follow earthly rules? How does Luthor know he has this power in the first place? Since you decided to revisit, though... how did Luthor get a lead-lined wheelchair through a security line at a government building in the first place? A hearing like that would have had insane amounts of security. Guess it was magic Snyder plot-proof lead, huh? lol
    Many wheelchairs, especially the electric kind, have metal in them.

BANNED

Pretty much all wheelchairs have a fair amount of metal in them. And good luck with that ADA lawsuit that would inevitably follow from trying to bar someone from entering a public building because they're in a wheelchair.

Extraordinary Member

The only reason to revisit Superman Returns is to help me fall asleep.

11 reasons.

It's not Man of Steel.

My problems with Superman Returns are pretty much the exact opposite of the issues I have with Man of Steel.

While Man of Steel had too much brainless destruction that went on for way too long, absolutely nothing happens in Superman Returns. Not even a single punch was thrown.

Spacey's Luthor is my favorite part of this movie. I also think he's a natural extension of Hackman's Luthor, after the smarmy genius had spent some serious time behind bars in a maximum security prison. This Luthor stabs Superman with a kryptonite shiv...and breaks it off inside of him. That viciousness goes much further to selling the character, in my mind, than whatever ludicrous rationale the Eisenberg Luthor had in BvS, regardless of whether he was threatening to kill Martha ("WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?") or not.

Retired

One thing I noticed when I saw SUPERMAN RETURNS in the theatre on opening day was that the movie would stay with a scene, instead of fast cutting away. I loved that the movie lingered over these moments, because I was totally into it. But putting my critics hat on, I figured that a modern movie audience would be impatient with these long lingering scenes--they're used to fast cuts.

In this way, it was like STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE--and probably for the same reason. The first Star Trek movie had an earnest reverance for the TV show and was too much in love with the small details. The Singer Superman movie was in love with the Donner Superman and showed an abundant reverance for that movie.

The ironic thing is that BATMAN V SUPERMAN has been attacked for having too many fast cuts. Again, for me this doesn't bug me. I'm used to seeing movies that let a scene play out without fast cuts and seeing movies that cut on the action to quickly shift between many levels of the story. It's not like there's only one way to cut a movie--and I actually appreciate those movies that go the extremes, more than those that are cut in the standard way.