Thread: Alan Moore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Alan Moore

So, I own the following -

The Swamp Thing volumes - I enjoyed this a fair amount.
    Watchmen - I definitely enjoyed this.
    The Promethea volumes - Really, really enjoyed this.
    V for Vendetta - Enjoyed this a lot.
    Top 10 1 & 2 - absolutely loved this.
    the new marvel collections of Miracleman, 1 & 2 - This wasn't bad, but it wasn't as spectacular as the 25 years of hype I'd been hearing would have suggested.
    Supreme: The Return - well written, but I didn't really care about it.
    the two WildCATS collections of his - I thought that these were mostly awful. I read Joe Casey before I read these, and this felt like both a stylistic and narrative step backwards.
    Lost Girls - What the unholy **** did I read.

So, what am I missing? What should I pick up next? At his best - in my opinion of what I've read, Top 10, Watchmen, V, Promethea - he writes some of the most incredible stuff I've ever read in this medium. What else of his is at that level?

I know that most of the stuff he writes is superhero stuff - something I usually completely avoid - but I'll read anything that's good.

Mighty Member

LOEG and From Hell are probably the most notable you haven't gotten too

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    LOEG and From Hell are probably the most notable you haven't gotten too
    Oh ****, I forgot about those. Yeah, I have League 1-3 and the Black Dossier. I enjoyed those well enough.

None of his stuff comes close to what he was doing on Swamp Thing that run are some of the greatest comics ever produced IMO.

My favorite Moore book is Ballad of Halo Jones, up there with V for me. Halo Jones is a great sci-fi adventure about a girl who just goes and sees what is out there and has crazy adventures, goes to war, and all kinds of sci-fi fun. It was suppose to have more volumes, but he had a falling out like he does with everyone it seems, but great art by Ian Gibson. The Complete Future Shocks are a good read from a young Alan Moore was from 1980 - 1983 so right before Swamp Thing. D.R. & Quinch is another good early Moore book, but it is very different from anything else he wrote, it is a comedy series about two delinquent aliens, he does not seem to be a fan he said it has no lasting social value, it is just a goofy sci-fi book, but Neil Gaiman praised it. I enjoyed it, but I generally like the goofy sci-fi humor 2000 AD was doing at the time.

Top 10: SMAX is one my favorites from Mr. Moore. It's really kind of goofy, but just a whole lot of fun all around.
    Also didn't see The Killing Joke on that list. That's a classic.
    You may also want to check out Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Some series that I did NOT enjoy and recommend you only read if you're wanting be a Moore completionist:
    Tom Strong. I know this gets a lot of praise in some corners, but I found it to be merely average.
    Neonomicon. While its predecessor (The Courtyard) was a truly psychologically disturbing work of horror, Neonomicon relies more on a sexual type of horror and did not sit right with me. It make me feel sick for all the wrong reasons. I was looking forward to reading Providence until I read this, and now I'm not sure I ever will.
    Tomorrow Stories: Just a weird compilation of tales with some recurring characters and themes. Not really good at all.

If it's just "great comics" you're looking for, may I kindly recommend Lone Wolf and Cub, All Star Superman, Sandman, Scalped, Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Tom Strong!

I liked Tom Strong.

1963, and the Majestic one shot.

oh, and Crossed +100.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Cobweb is the best thing Alan Moore's done. Cobweb was the stuff.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)