Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Moore

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Captain Britain. Some of his earliest comic work, well worth reading (though the trade collecting it is unfortunately OOP).
    Was that for Marvel or Marvel UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Was that for Marvel or Marvel UK?
    It was Marvel UK, he did a couple Star Wars and Doctor Who stories and then got Captain Britain, it is a really good read. My favorite Moore stuff is from that era 1980 - 1985 he was on fire, he had a bunch of great 2000 AD stuff like Halo Jones, D.R. and Quinch and Future Shock, also at other companies he was doing Captain Britain, Marvelman, V, Swamp Thing, Mogo Doesn't Socialize, For the Man Who Has Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    It was Marvel UK, he did a couple Star Wars and Doctor Who stories and then got Captain Britain, it is a really good read. My favorite Moore stuff is from that era 1980 - 1985 he was on fire, he had a bunch of great 2000 AD stuff like Halo Jones, D.R. and Quinch and Future Shock, also at other companies he was doing Captain Britain, Marvelman, V, Swamp Thing, Mogo Doesn't Socialize, For the Man Who Has Everything.
    Moore is really hit and miss for me. I've loved LoEG, Top Ten, Providence and From Hell but not been a big fan of Tom Strong, Watchmen, V for Vendetta. I really want to read his Marvelman and Captain Britain.

Moore is really hit and miss for me. I've loved LoEG, Top Ten, Providence and From Hell but not been a big fan of Tom Strong, Watchmen, V for Vendetta. I really want to read his Marvelman and Captain Britain.
    I am not to big on him outside of his early work, I gotta try From Hell bought it a while ago and have not read it yet. LoEG was solid, but hated the follow ups, Prometha was okay I need to reread it at some point, Watchmen was a good read, but I feel it is overrated. I tried Providence for the first couple issues because of its relation to Lovecraft, but could not get into it. Probably still going to get the trade, grabbed Neonomicon based on the Lovecraft tie also, but have not read it yet. I think his early work is brilliant and he killed it on Swamp Thing really want an absolute those hardcovers are okay, but needs over sized art. Killing Joke is a fun and messed up read.

Has anyone mentioned Miracleman?
    Freaking awesome stuff, especially since it started off serialized in 2000AD

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I am not to big on him outside of his early work, I gotta try From Hell bought it a while ago and have not read it yet. LoEG was solid, but hated the follow ups, Prometha was okay I need to reread it at some point, Watchmen was a good read, but I feel it is overrated. I tried Providence for the first couple issues because of its relation to Lovecraft, but could not get into it. Probably still going to get the trade, grabbed Neonomicon based on the Lovecraft tie also, but have not read it yet. I think his early work is brilliant and he killed it on Swamp Thing really want an absolute those hardcovers are okay, but needs over sized art. Killing Joke is a fun and messed up read.
    I didn't enjoy Neonomicon and thought that Providence was a lot better, so it will be interesting to see what you think. From Hell is a great book, and has a more subdued LoEG feel to it. As for LoEG the second volume was okay and the Black Dossier and Nemo Trilogy are a little meh but the final volume (I think it is the final one) LoEG: Century was fantastic. Easily as good as the first.

He mentioned it in his first post that he has 2 of the Marvel Hardcovers. Also was it was part of Warrior, the old British comics 2000 AD revived was Dan Dare. I am not sure they had a superhero in 2000 AD before Zenith.

Edit: Will have to pick up LoEG: Century and give it a try.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Definitely check out Captain Britain & Voodoo solo adventure! I asked my therapist to read Lost Girls now he has me on meds lol.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

I didn't enjoy Neonomicon and thought that Providence was a lot better, so it will be interesting to see what you think. From Hell is a great book, and has a more subdued LoEG feel to it. As for LoEG the second volume was okay and the Black Dossier and Nemo Trilogy are a little meh but the final volume (I think it is the final one) LoEG: Century was fantastic. Easily as good as the first.
    There will be one last volume from LoEG... and then he will quit doing comics.
    It's amazing how many diferent and fascinating stories that man wrote!! Everybody here has a diferent favourite one...

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    There will be one last volume from LoEG... and then he will quit doing comics.
    It's amazing how many diferent and fascinating stories that man wrote!! Everybody here has a diferent favourite one...
    So the final volume will be set in the future? Now that will be interesting. I'd love to see what and how he seeds in all those little Easter eggs.

Just want to throw Big Numbers into the mix. It was never finished but the first 2 issues that were released were weaving a really interesting thread. It's a shame we never got to see where he would go with it. Bill Sienkiewicz' art was as awesome as ever too.

I loved Tom Strong, which, for me, was number three, behind LOEG and Top Ten, for the America's Best line.

Everything mentioned so far is good. I would add Brought to Light, from Eclipse, with art by Bill Sienkiewicz and A Small Killing. The later was reprinted a few years ago. The former is a bit tougher to find. The other thing I would mention, which also started in Warrior, is the Bojeffries Saga.

I don't think anyone mentioned Fashion beast yet. IIRC he co wrote it with someone or someone wrote the comic based on his script for a movie or a tv series. It's not his best work but well worth a read and I think it speaks about the storytelling quality when a book keeps you engaged even if it's about something you have zero interest in (fashion...well, partially)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing are some of the best comics I've ever read.

It's hard to top that.

I remember D.R. & Quinch being a good fun read in 2000ad I think it may have been collected in a titan trade