Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Scarlet Witch Rocks the Headband in "Captain America: Civil War" Concept Art

Unused "Civil War" concept art reveals an alternate Scarlet Witch design that includes the character's trademark headband from the comics.

Full article here.

I wanted her to have the headpice, but overral, the movie outfit it's better than that. IMO, Wanda don't need to have a "tatical pratical super realistically cool!" outfit like most of the other heroes.

Too true. In a world where women (and men) regularly wear some sort of head wrap, scarf, ball cap, beanie, or whatever, a woman who is not a close contact combatant should have been able to get away with a headpiece, rather than having to look like a civilian amidst the rest of the Marvelverse characters.

We have to get the headband look sometime. I'd prefer it to be a little closer to the comics, though.

BANNED

The tiara thingy looks silly in the comics and would have looked even sillier on an actual human being.

The movie costumes need to start strictly adhering to the source material in general, and anyone that thinks they look "too corny" needs to ask themselves how they can call themselves comic fans.

It does feel kind of weird seeing Wanda without the headband in the movies, and I'm at least glad they were considering including it at some point.

Going by the concept art, that looks like a solid and practical way of bringing it into live-action .

I wonder how Olsen would feel about it? She has gone on record about how impractical the classic Scarlet Witch look is, but I don't think she'd be entirely against the headband depending on the design and how iconic it is to Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The tiara thingy looks silly in the comics and would have looked even sillier on an actual human being.
    It's not exactly a tiara, though. And with a name like Scarlet Witch, it fits.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    It's not exactly a tiara, though. And with a name like Scarlet Witch, it fits.
    I didn't say it was "exactly a tiara." I said it was a "tiara thingy." But it's more of a tiara than it is a headband. Whatever you call it, however, it has no inherent relationship to Wanda having the word "witch," in her name, esp. since she isn't actually a witch in the movie (and only recently really became a full-fledged one in the comics). And I don't think anyone has actually ever referred to her as "Scarlet Witch" in the movies, anyway. So anyone who saw the movies and didn't read the comics (which would be most people who saw the movies) wouldn't likely be thinking "that silly-looking tiara thingy on her head fits because . . . witch."
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-27-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I didn't say it was "exactly a tiara." I said it was a "tiara thingy." But it's more of a tiara than it is a headband. Whatever you call it, however, it has no inherent relationship to Wanda having the word "witch," in her name, esp. since she isn't actually a witch in the movie (and only recently really became a full-fledged one in the comics). And I don't think anyone has actually ever referred to her as "Scarlet Witch" in the movies, anyway. So anyone who saw the movies and didn't read the comics (which would be most people who saw the movies) wouldn't likely be thinking "that silly-looking tiara thingy on her head fits because . . . witch."
    Thanks for clarifying. Big difference. LOL!

No need to overthink it, though...

Extraordinary Member

The costume she had at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron, if you freeze-frame, incorporated the "M" shape of her headpiece in a few places. It was gone in Civil War, and since the directors rejected the headband idea, I suppose they didn't feel it was important.

I don't know that it was that important, to be honest. I like the idea of shout-outs to the comics, but the reaction of a lot of filmgoers might have been along the lines of "why did she put on that headband?" Anything that makes the audience stop to ask "why?" is death in this type of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The costume she had at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron, if you freeze-frame, incorporated the "M" shape of her headpiece in a few places. It was gone in Civil War, and since the directors rejected the headband idea, I suppose they didn't feel it was important.

I don't know that it was that important, to be honest. I like the idea of shout-outs to the comics, but the reaction of a lot of filmgoers might have been along the lines of "why did she put on that headband?" Anything that makes the audience stop to ask "why?" is death in this type of movie.
    This may just be the comic-fan in me, but I feel it would be such a small thing that I'm not sure if it would really be an issue, anymore then the reasons why Wanda's costume is designed the way it is would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It does feel kind of weird seeing Wanda without the headband in the movies, and I'm at least glad they were considering including it at some point.

Going by the concept art, that looks like a solid and practical way of bringing it into live-action .

I wonder how Olsen would feel about it? She has gone on record about how impractical the classic Scarlet Witch look is, but I don't think she'd be entirely against the headband depending on the design and how iconic it is to Scarlet Witch.
    I think she was just talking about the swimsuit with that pink thing underneath. And they would make the tiara look less weird than it is in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    The movie costumes need to start strictly adhering to the source material in general
    Really, because they seem to have been doing just fine so far.

BANNED

Thanks for clarifying. Big difference. LOL!
    Matters of scale notwithstanding, there was a difference between what I actually said and what you claimed I said as a preface to responding to my statement. (We should probably have some kind of term for when that happens, shouldn't we?) Such a difference has relevance in a conversation, so they should be clarified.

No need to overthink it, though...
    Says the guy claiming that wearing a tiara/headband thing somehow goes hand-in-hand with being called a witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    The movie costumes need to start strictly adhering to the source material in general, and anyone that thinks they look "too corny" needs to ask themselves how they can call themselves comic fans.
    Nothing about the movies needs to "strictly adhere to the source material." The film makers should adhere only to the requirements of making good movies. And slavish devotion to the source material at all costs is not anywhere on that list of requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

The negative distraction potential of having the headpiece was probably relatively small, but since having the headpiece would have added nothing of any substantive value, then the cost/benefit analysis says it's best to err on the side of "why bother"?
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.