Super Moderator

Default James Cameron Dodges Question About His Opinion of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

The Oscar-winning "Aliens" director (kind of) gives his opinion of the J.J. Abrams' "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

Full article here.

“George [Lucas] and I had a good conversation about it…I don’t want to say too much about the film as I have a lot of respect for J.J. Abrams.”

“I want to see where they’re taking it next,”
    TRANSLATION!

It looked good but it's a remake of Ep4.
    They better come up with something new for the next film.

TRANSLATION OVER.

Dude is being diplomatic cause he doesnt want dump on it cause then people will dump on him.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I understand why he dodged. Lots of people get accused of being haters for not digging force awakens by Fanatics.

Yeh, basically saying he didn't think much of it but respects JJ too much to slag it off in public.

It was a very divisive film, no doubt about that.

He's kind of right on the visual aspect of the film-pretty much all the ships/technology was stuff we've seen before with some tweaks. Star Destroyers with a few extra decks, The Falcon with a new radar dish, X-wings with a slightly different engine, and the TIEs were nearly identical except painted black. The other OT films at least had some variation, especially with the TIEs. There was some new stuff but it sort of came off as boxy and uninteresting, such as the Stormtrooper landing craft and Leia's transport. Plus the planets were pretty much the same ol' desert/snow/forest worlds (Although Luke's planet sort of looked new, a sort of archipelgo world).

The film did innovate with the aliens though. Apart from the CG characters, most of the aliens we saw in the prequels were pretty much the same species we saw in the Cantina and Jabba's palace. The only 'old' aliens in TFA were previously established characters such as Chewbacca.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.

"It sucked. I mean, they even did another cantina scene. But I'm, uh, responsible for Avatar, so I'm going to shut up now."

^Empire I think is the only film that doesn't have some variation on the alien bar.