Super Moderator

Default ZombieWalk Returning to SDCC for the First Time Since 2014's Near-Fatal Accident

After a two-year hiatus following a violent accident, the annual Comic-Con ZombieWalk is making its way back, one last time.

Full article here.

rockethouse

Well, that's some editorializing. "Near-Fatal"? You link to Deadline, who described it as "serious but non-life-threatening injuries." And even your own original article on it says "A 64-year-old passersby was taken to the hospital with a possible broken arm, and the other two suffered only minor injuries." How did that become "near-fatal," except for clickbait opportunities?

sdzombiewalk

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    After a two-year hiatus following a violent accident, the annual Comic-Con ZombieWalk is making its way back, one last time.

Full article here.

Wow. Okay, first... yeah, you can't exactly say "near-fatal" if you also link to an article describing the injuries as "serious but non-life-threatening" - nobody was near death.

Members of the "the crowd" who touched his car were doing so in order to get the driver to stop forcing his way into an intersection, which was filled with pedestrians who were not participating in the walk (the bulk of the walk group were several blocks away at the time of the incident).

Secondly, we weren't banned or asked to stop. Where did you hear that? I purposely took a year off because I was receiving death threats and way too much hate mail to describe... because of poorly-researched articles like this one. The exact same reason this is likely the last year... I'm tired of the walk being exploiting for clicks and views on sites like this one. The event had a fantastic reputation as being free, fun, and family-friendly until 2014... and even then, nobody involved was a walk participant, so the incident unfairly damages our legacy. You're party to that.

It was not an embarrassment to the walk, as we had nothing directly to do with the incident. Foot traffic in that area is heavy regardless of the Zombiewalk taking place or not... it's Saturday evening during Comic-Con. It was an unfair characterization and scapegoating of the walk, because zombies allegedly attacking a family (didn't happen) makes for a super sexy headline. Again, exploiting the vague details to piece together an eye-grabbing headline. We were not directly involved in the incident.

Third, the walk was started in 2007. This is our tenth year walking during Comic-Con. Yes, there was a tiny secret walk held last year. It's even mentioned on the event page. 2007-2016 is ten separate years we've held a walk. Again, please research before you publish. Maybe even reach out to us for clarification?

Please get your ducks in a row before you report on our event or any event, please. Exploiting the situation for clicks on your site is just as reprehensible as the driver and his passengers suing me in civil court, for an incident directly caused by his felonious actions (yes, he was convicted of a felony).

A retraction, corrections, and an apology would all be appreciated, but I'll settle for the first two.

- Jennifer
    Last edited by sdzombiewalk; 07-06-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

Yeaaaaaaah, no thank you.