Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

I guess I am not seeing how two very popular female characters don't count just because their male equivalents are also very popular. How does that make them any less important to the DC Universe?
    They are characters in their own right and have their own adventures and their own villains they fight. Have long passed being mere sidekicks of Batman and Superman. They don't even interact with
    Batman or Superman that much anymore. Catwoman is more closely tied to Batman than Batgirl is. Hell, Bruce and Selina are getting married. And Mera basically has the same relationship to Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I guess I am not seeing how two very popular female characters don't count just because their male equivalents are also very popular. How does that make them any less important to the DC Universe?
    They are characters in their own right and have their own adventures and their own villains they fight. Have long passed being mere sidekicks of Batman and Superman. They don't even interact with
    Batman or Superman that much anymore. Catwoman is more closely tied to Batman than Batgirl is. Hell, Bruce and Selina are getting married. And Mera basically has the same relationship to Aquaman.
    You know that about Babs and Kara but the general audiences still associate the "Bat" and "Super" branding with Batman and Superman first and foremost, not with Batgirl and Supergirl. The female characters were created to piggyback off the popularity of those respective brands. Barbara literally refers to coming into her own identity when she ditched the Batgirl nickname and took on the mantle of Oracle.

Also as others have pointed out, Babsgirl and Supergirl get enough media exposure as it is and will continue to do so. What's wrong in including someone lesser known like Big Barda? And they were going to include Mera in an Amber Heard video no matter what. Catwoman too is very iconic in her own right and she's had her own movie completely separate from Batman (an awful movie granted) that helps people disassociate her from Batman much more easily than with Batgirl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Amber Heard talking about some heavyweight DC ladies

I'm stunned that Barda was included! Does this mean there are cinematic plans afoot?
    Yeah Barda was the odd lady out in the video since everyone else is either in the universe or going to. I suppose all things given with the DCEU she is pretty likely to be used if the New Gods continue to get more focus.

A bit amused Diana, Ivy and Harley's sexuality were brought up (though I don't think Diana's has ever been specified outside of not straight). Oddly Catwoman also being bi wasn't brought up but hah either way, can't be perfect in a less than 2 minute video.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Yeah Barda was the odd lady out in the video since everyone else is either in the universe or going to. I suppose all things given with the DCEU she is pretty likely to be used if the New Gods continue to get more focus.

A bit amused Diana, Ivy and Harley's sexuality were brought up (though I don't think Diana's has ever been specified outside of not straight). Oddly Catwoman also being bi wasn't brought up but hah either way, can't be perfect in a less than 2 minute video.
    Barda's inclusion does excite me a lot. Hopefully the poor reception to Steppenwolf doesn't scare WB off the New Gods route if they are indeed planning to go that way. He was easily the weakest link of an incredibly rich mythos anyway.

Didn't Rucka describe Diana as bi? Could be wrong. It's Ivy being called polyamorous that I'm unsure of. When was she ever poly? She's barely had one steady relationship at a time.

It'd be cool if we get to a point where gals like Vixen, Black Canary, Katana, and Zatanna are expected in videos about DC female Superheroes over the Gotham City Sirens .
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Didn't Rucka describe Diana as bi? Could be wrong. It's Ivy being called polyamorous that I'm unsure of. When was she ever poly? She's barely had one steady relationship at a time.
    Rucka established Diana as having a female lover on Themyscira in Year One, and talked about it in interviews, though it really hasn't been followed-up on.

It's kind of like Catwoman being Bi, which only really came up once in Valentine's run, and is now kind of moot with her marrying Batman.

I think the polyamorous thing comes from how they handle her relationship with Harley in the latter's solo book (or so I've heard) where they're together, but not "steady," and free to sleep with or love anyone else that suits their fancy (which seems to apply more to Harley then Ivy, if only because she's the star).

Astonishing Member

Rucka discussed her sexuality but never really says what Diana is directly. Only that her society is supportive of it etc... Course even if he did it'd be a "YMMV short of it actually being said on paper" given she could still be pan, bi or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Rucka discussed her sexuality but never really says what Diana is directly. Only that her society is supportive of it etc... Course even if he did it'd be a "YMMV short of it actually being said on paper" given she could still be pan, bi or something else.
    I mean, it's basically like in the movie where Diana mentions to Steve that on Themyscira they understand that men are necessary for procreation, not pleasure, but unlike in the movie Rucka actually showed Diana having a female lover or something close to that.

My favorite DC Women are Catwoman and Wonder Woman period. I know people have mentioned them but I just wanted to add my own appreciation for those ladies

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, it's basically like in the movie where Diana mentions to Steve that on Themyscira they understand that men are necessary for procreation, not pleasure, but unlike in the movie Rucka actually showed Diana having a female lover or something close to that.
    More or less yeah. Of course I'm just trying to drive that there's a big difference between "Diana is Bi" and "Diana comes from a culture where everyone's otherwise welcoming to different sexualities and Diana is also into girls but her sexuality is never specified as of yet". Unwieldy I know but I'd rather it be clear.

Reminds me of how many times I've had to ask and correct people over in Marvel who keep touting Viv Vision as being a lesbian when there's been no actual statement or confirmation of it (though it's possible).

Credit: Heyyouhai on deviant art/tumblr

I believe the lady Titans/Young Justice females give the JL women a run for their money in coolness/awesomeness!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of like Catwoman being Bi, which only really came up once in Valentine's run, and is now kind of moot with her marrying Batman.
    Yes, anymore I doubt anyone is going to have Selina cheat on Bruce with another woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    My favorite DC Women are Catwoman and Wonder Woman period. I know people have mentioned them but I just wanted to add my own appreciation for those ladies
    Mine is Catwoman. But I also like Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and Zatanna. I would read or watch anything with them in it.

DC Bombshells need an animated series! I know we have Superhero Girls, but Bombshells would be cool too!

My lineup would be: Wonder Woman, Jessica Cruz, Black Canary, Mera, Hawkgirl, Vixen, Katana and Zatanna. Of course every female would show up eventually like the Sirens, Lady Titans, female Legionares, JLI and the Squad/Society.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Honestly if they ever do make a Bombshells animated series there's basically no need to alter anything already so I hope it's almost a page for page replica. And while the lineups still nice Kate is alongside Diana the two big characters of the book so I'd not want her gone.

Of course given just how many LGBT themes run in the book I'd be REALLY worried about how different a potential animated series would run.

BANNED

Gonna go ahead and say I don't want a Bombshells animated series. I wouldn't watch it anyway, it'd only make me hate Kate more than I already do and I really don't want that.