Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

He's certainly a recidivist but Batroc probably really doesn't count as 'evil' in the same way the really bad guys do. He's just going about making money, unfortunately he does it through illegal means. There are plenty of others who fall into a similar 'criminal but not evil' category as well.

Admittedly this does depend on your definition of 'evil'.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriaco View Post
    Gladiator? As in Kallark? But...he's no villain?
    Well, he did slaughter his entire race. And now, he leads a genocidal, slave-run empire.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-02-2016 at 08:06 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Fantastic Member

Three pages and no one's mentioned Porcupine? Currently in Spider-Woman's supporting cast as her child-minder

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I always feel bad for Gladiator, because, well, he can't help it. He wants to not be that guy, but he's got problems and yeah, when threatened, pushed, or just sad enough, he's gonna be that guy.
    The best moment Bendis has ever written, IMO- and I say that as someone who doesn't dislike much Bendis- is during Gladiator's encounter with Daredevil during the Alexander Bont arc in DD. "You should have killed me, Mr. Murdock." just broke me.

Another good example is the Sandman. Marvel Team-Up #1 is a classic issue showcasing why. I really like the idea of his reformation in the 90s, and think so much more could have been done with him as an Avenger. I mean, think about it! he was on the team with Cap's approval, the man who gave the go to reformed criminals Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. There's some great story potential with that in mind.

Mighty Member

I've always liked The Toad, he reminds me of Fritz from Frankenstein and all those other slaves/servants/asisstants in monster movies.

Can't believe no one has mentioned good old Grizzly, currently (mostly) reformed over in Astonishing Ant-Man.

I really loved BKV's take on "The Hood" in the original mini-series. He devolved into more of a pure villain when written by others subsequently.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

It's actually a pretty interesting question because unambiguously "non-evil" villains are hard to find. Most of the examples here have their merits but are rather debatable since the characters are pretty flawed (I'm looking at you, Magneto), and what makes them tick is their struggle or failure to do good despite their best intentions.

That being said... I agree with Leapfrog.

M'Baku, Gladiator, (recent) Super Skrull.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Three pages and no one's mentioned Porcupine? Currently in Spider-Woman's supporting cast as her child-minder
    My thoughts exactly when I read the thread title.

@Topic: Hey if we are reaaally lenient I guess you could mention Dr. Doom. I mean that guy saved "everything" during Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I really loved BKV's take on "The Hood" in the original mini-series. He devolved into more of a pure villain when written by others subsequently.
    that's partly due to his powers being demonic, in nature. any innocence he once had was sacrificed to stay "on top."

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    My thoughts exactly when I read the thread title.

@Topic: Hey if we are reaaally lenient I guess you could mention Dr. Doom. I mean that guy saved "everything" during Secret Wars.
    he made himself God. then he created a bunch of despotic battle environments and has random people thrown in an ultron & zombie-riddled killzone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he made himself God. then he created a bunch of despotic battle environments and has random people thrown in an ultron & zombie-riddled killzone.
    Yeah he recreated the world the way he wanted to. But without him there would be no world. Sure he is the Villain but is he all about being evil? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Yeah he recreated the world the way he wanted to. But without him there would be no world. Sure he is the Villain but is he all about being evil? Nah.
    He murdered Steven Strange because he didn't want his secret getting out. He was definitely evil.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I like Sabretooth better as a non psychopath. They were leading him down that road in the 90's, they had his alternate a hero in AoA and then had him undergoing rehab in the mansion. I'm not sure of the circumstances but somehow Marvel changed their mind and suddenly Psylocke could "sense he was beyond rehabilitation". It was a pretty jarring moment imo

Other than that, I feel for Rhino a lot too. He seems similar to Sandman in some respects.