Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    As someone who stopped buying anything Marvel or DC years ago, I honestly want to know why you guys still fork over your hard earned money every week to these companies. I got so sick of relaunches, reboots, scrapped histories, events, and far too many books that I had to read to get the whole story. There are other publishers out there putting out great books. So many people complain about the Big Two, but as long as everyone keeps buying them, they'll keep doing what they're doing. This has been going on for as long as I can remember, and it's only getting worse.

This isn't meant to be a slam, and I know we all have a lot of years invested in these characters, but once you put them down it won't be long before you stop missing them and find books with a lot more integrity (typically creator owned).
    I finally hit that realization awhile ago. For whatever reason, I find that I'm enjoying non superhero stuff more now and I'm digging a lot of Image books.

As someone who stopped buying anything Marvel or DC years ago, I honestly want to know why you guys still fork over your hard earned money every week to these companies. I got so sick of relaunches, reboots, scrapped histories, events, and far too many books that I had to read to get the whole story. There are other publishers out there putting out great books. So many people complain about the Big Two, but as long as everyone keeps buying them, they'll keep doing what they're doing. This has been going on for as long as I can remember, and it's only getting worse.

This isn't meant to be a slam, and I know we all have a lot of years invested in these characters, but once you put them down it won't be long before you stop missing them and find books with a lot more integrity (typically creator owned).
    I stopped buying Marvel books once Secret Wars ended. I still have a deep love for a lot of the characters - but Marvel is determined to undermine a lot of what I loved about the characters at every opportunity. Cap's a nazi, Spider-Man is no longer an everyman, Hulk and Thor are MIA, the X-Men are dwindling in numbers and relegated to second class citizen status, Wolverine is dead, and Iron Man is probably gonna be dead and replaced by Doctor Doom. The most obvious success of a comic they could put out right now is an Avengers team that resembles the movie team, but they seem bound and determined to turn away any potential reader that loved the movies.

I don't hate Marvel. I want to read comics about Marvel characters. I just wish they were putting out comic books where the characters I love are doing the things that I love to see them doing. I don't care about relaunches, reboots, or events. They never turned off of reading comics. It just feels like Marvel has abandoned me as a reader. I'm not sure who their intended audience is. There are literally millions of people who love Steve Rogers as Captain America and have never read a comic book. Marvel seems to have no interest in turning those people into comic book readers. It isn't clear to me where the potential audience for Moon Girl is supposed to come from. The existing readership? Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur was never a big hit. Is it supposed to appeal to young girls? How are they supposed to find it? No wonder it's getting cancelled. Who was the audience for All New Inhumans supposed to be? Why is Marvel content to continue carving up the existing 100-200K of people who currently read comics?

I'm unlikely to read Image books because I don't know who any of the characters are and I have limited time to devote to immersing myself in a new world. I'm glad for the creators of Image books that they get to write their own creations, own them, and get paid pretty well for it. I'm just not likely to give many of them a try because I guess I'm the kind of reader who cares more about getting stories about characters I care about than just stories. I'm lucky that movies and the various Netflix series are turning out so well, so I can continue getting stories about these characters.

Voted No. That line up of characters doesn't excite me for September at all.

When All-New Marvel NOW! came out I didn't mind because it mostly left the previous books alone while trimming out the fat. If I were reading Avengers or Xmen I could be confident that my books weren't being replaced and that they just got a point.NOW! issue to draw in new readers. But with this Marvel NOW! I have no indication they're gonna leave most of my books alone. It feels like they're doing another across-the-board relaunch. If when the previews come out and it turns they're only replacing the low-selling books with new material then maybe I get excited for this.
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

Honestly, I do it out of habit, and a shred of hope that I can find something good. I read a lot of older Marvel DC stuff, and some of the newer books have been enjoyable, but I stay away from events altogether, and I'm getting burned out on relaunches too. I've gotten more out of IDW and valiant. (I believe that IDW is an unsung hero among publishers, I like Image too, and yes they do make a lot of licensed IP comics, but a I would reccomend Transformers and Ninja Turtles over most marvel and dc titles)

Magick is Everywhere

Default "Marvel NOW!" = Dr. Doom to be the next big bad.

I'll come out and say it: This whole "Divided We Stand" paradigm in Marvel NOW! will be a vehicle to make Dr. Doom turn evil again and that will lead to the return of the Fantastic Four.

Incredible Member

There's several characters in the promo that grab my attention (foolkiller, solo, prowler and Elekta) but overall there's really not enough for me to go on yet for me have any strong feelings about this initative one way or the other.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I stopped buying Marvel books once Secret Wars ended. I still have a deep love for a lot of the characters - but Marvel is determined to undermine a lot of what I loved about the characters at every opportunity. Cap's a nazi, Spider-Man is no longer an everyman, Hulk and Thor are MIA, the X-Men are dwindling in numbers and relegated to second class citizen status, Wolverine is dead, and Iron Man is probably gonna be dead and replaced by Doctor Doom. The most obvious success of a comic they could put out right now is an Avengers team that resembles the movie team, but they seem bound and determined to turn away any potential reader that loved the movies.

I don't hate Marvel. I want to read comics about Marvel characters. I just wish they were putting out comic books where the characters I love are doing the things that I love to see them doing. I don't care about relaunches, reboots, or events. They never turned off of reading comics. It just feels like Marvel has abandoned me as a reader. I'm not sure who their intended audience is. There are literally millions of people who love Steve Rogers as Captain America and have never read a comic book. Marvel seems to have no interest in turning those people into comic book readers. It isn't clear to me where the potential audience for Moon Girl is supposed to come from. The existing readership? Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur was never a big hit. Is it supposed to appeal to young girls? How are they supposed to find it? No wonder it's getting cancelled. Who was the audience for All New Inhumans supposed to be? Why is Marvel content to continue carving up the existing 100-200K of people who currently read comics?

I'm unlikely to read Image books because I don't know who any of the characters are and I have limited time to devote to immersing myself in a new world. I'm glad for the creators of Image books that they get to write their own creations, own them, and get paid pretty well for it. I'm just not likely to give many of them a try because I guess I'm the kind of reader who cares more about getting stories about characters I care about than just stories. I'm lucky that movies and the various Netflix series are turning out so well, so I can continue getting stories about these characters.
    I'm in somewhat the same boat as some of the other commenters. I've loved Marvel since I was a kid and my dad would be bring me home random X-Men and Spider-Man comics from overseas. When I got older and could afford my own books, I started reading again. Over the years I've dropped many a book but one constanst was always Amazing Spider-Man. This year I've dropped even that as I've been really disappointed with its quality. As well as the other books put out by Marvel (although I hear Daredevil and Spider-Man 2099 are great).

Currently I've found much more joy in other companies' books such as IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (even the original b&w series), Outcast, and a few others. I still love these Marvel characters, but outside of the MCU (and the Netflix shows) there's not much of a place for me to get my fix besides maybe also delving into the classics (something I plan to do when I have more money).

So yeah, seeing the poll results don't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post

PREACH. I feel almost exactly the same way. And I think if it wasn't for Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man I'd have quit comics altogether already. I don't know man. First, seeing the results of this poll was epically hilarious. Now? I just feel sad and pissed off. It's like Marvel just don't want me to care anymore, it's like they are sabotaging themselves and not even trying to gather the kind of attention they are getting with the films. My "happy" Marvel place now is Dan Slott's Spider-Man stories and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Those are the Marvel related stories that I'm deeply passionate about. The way Marvel is going, I feel that I'm getting other books just out of sense of not giving up on Marvel, not really because I'm actually caring about anything else Marvel is doing, everything is so... bleak. Meanwhile, my DC Rebirth pull list keeps growing...
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

BANNED

I think the main reason a lot of people voted "no" is because there are no X-men team books and prolly unnecessary ongoing solos for some characters.

And it was fun seeing an X-man showing up on Avengers books/covers and seeing an Avenger showing up on x-men book/covers. Looks like they do it very rarely this time.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 07-12-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Less excited than ever. It seems every last book I was reading, with Ultimates being to sole exception, has been cancelled. Out of all the new ones, the only one I might pick up is Hawkeye, assuming it is actually starring Kate.

That's aweful. My pull list is down to 1 or maybe 2. It's never been that low.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think the main reason a lot of people voted "no" is because there are no X-men team books and prolly unnecessary ongoing solos for some characters.

And it was fun seeing an X-man showing up on Avengers books/covers and seeing an Avenger showing up on x-men book/covers. Looks like they do it very rarely this time.
    Not me. I voted "no" because what Marvel is doing is pure crapola. Meanwhile, I haven't read so much as one X-book since just before the turn of the century after that line turned into one huge, bloated mess. And you want to know something? I don't miss them one single bit.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post

I tend to agree with you, especially about the part in bold. And while I'm not a X-Men reader, I can definitely understand why people get frustrated or even angry at the lack of X-related titles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I think it was the other way and that when new52 started, DC sales started to go lower (many people were angry when new52 was announced).
    DC rebirth is not a reboot, it's just bringing the clasics elements that fans wanted while keeping the few things that worked in the reboot. The best part is that DC admitted that new52 was failing (Geoff Johns admitted that many of the new52 series lacked of a sense of direction and the characters changed too much that it was hard to recognize them or to feel something about them) and that it's practically bringing good writers and giving them freedom and power (like Dan Abnett for example). Marvel with this new status quo is basically doing a new52 (the teaser image gave the sensation that nearly all those series will lack of a sense of direction and that in few months everything will change again).
    Currently collection.titans.wonder woman.batman.green lanterns.the flash.aquaman.justice league.will be collecting superwoman.cyborg.new super man.teen Titans.the legion of superheroes and justice society when they come out at DC. At marvel just civil war 2 and the only reason.im doing that is because of David Marquez art work is awesome This all new marvel.now.not my cup of tea so I'll continue with DC for now

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

By that thinking, I wouldn't buy any comics at all.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier