Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post
    I have a feeling that if this current "NOW!" isn't successful, Marvel might do something similar to what DC is doing with their "Rebirth".

Heck, Marvel could even join the 'official multiple earths' club and have all the newbie characters (the 3 young avengers, Cho, Squirrel Girl, etc...) on one earth with several titles, and also reestablish a 'primary' earth with simpler and/or classic versions of Spider-Man, FF, Avengers and the X-Men. No more 'pick a name out of a hat and add an adjective' Avengers teams, no more million generations of X-teams, no more (to borrow a term I read recently) 'grey' (less heroic) Tony Stark, Reed Richards, etc...

It would: a) Clear away the clutter of decades of mini events; b) reel in older fans who left Marvel behind; and c) allow for all the newer characters to continue and flourish.

I'm not sure Marvel would do this, but it's a 'best of all worlds', IMHO.
    This is actually exactly what I was hoping for after Secret Wars, where we could have half the titles set on the new primary Earth with series suited to new readers and those who preferred elements of more traditional continuity, and the other half on Battleworld where writers could continue to focus on the better alternate reality concepts and fan favourite eras of Marvel with a greater flexibility whilst dealing with the fallout of Doom's removal from power. It could really work in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    This is actually exactly what I was hoping for after Secret Wars, where we could have half the titles set on the new primary Earth with series suited to new readers and those who preferred elements of more traditional continuity, and the other half on Battleworld where writers could continue to focus on the better alternate reality concepts and fan favourite eras of Marvel with a greater flexibility whilst dealing with the fallout of Doom's removal from power. It could really work in my opinion.
    Why not just simply books that follow certain continuity and books that are self contained without universe separation that makes everything complicated?

I think trades may be better for me.
    I used to love Marvel
    but for the last decade have constantly found a few
    new titles interesting, but slowly lost interest in them because of changes across
    the board, and yet if and when I do read a few, still like the reading experience,
    I just feel like the story is in a holding pattern for the next event.
    Perhaps if I just read the whole story in trade each step of the way, the feelings
    that take over when waiting for a story to wrap up over a few months will greatly
    pass and I can actually enjoy a few Marvel stories.
    Does any one who switched to trades, notice the character and story to be more fresh and interesting?

From what I can tell, most the "cosmic" characters continue to be completely omitted which is a good thing. I (rather surprisingly) latched onto Thor after the Jane Foster announcement, and it's been a great read thus far .... and the unfinished story would only be made worse if they "paused for CWII" or this new "Divided we stand".

To that end I think some of the earlier comments have a point: the "events" are too common. Give stories room to develop and breathe. I think Thor, despite what some may think of the "reasons", is a good example that a solid story given freedom does not need constant tie-ins.

No, i've been a predominantly Marvel fan all of my life, and honestly have no clue who most of these characters are. It honestly want to say "I'm getting too old for this" because I don't know how the Marvel landscape has changed so drastically, so quickly.

Also, X-Men, Fantastic Four, I know the whole move thing but seriously where the hell are they?

Edit: And I get that they're getting a lot of mileage out of the Spidey-Gwen thing, but in continuity Gwenpool? What is that even?
    Last edited by future cyclops; 06-30-2016 at 02:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Sam actually was a member of the newest incarnation of the New Warriors for a while. He was actually originally asked to join the Avengers after AvX but he couldn't join because his mother told him no.

And not enough people bought that New Warriors series and folks forget that there where complaints about Sam being in that series cause "he's not my Nova" or the ever popular "why isn't he/she in this title so I don't have to see them?" coded sentence

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Why not just simply books that follow certain continuity and books that are self contained without universe separation that makes everything complicated?
    Battleworld and Earth could still exist in the same reality, it just that the Earth titles would suit new readers and more traditional continuity better whilst the Battleworld titles could play with the SW fallout more and would have the same sort of quirker titles we had at the time. An ongoing X-Men '92 book would be joined by an 1872 one instead of Red Wolf, a Renew Your Vows title, a Battleworld Avengers book, a Battleworld X-Men book... that sort of thing. It would have cemented the change over with Secret Wars better in my opinion.

Is the floating blue sparkly guy fusion dance Magneto / Havok? Oh or is it that kid from Avengers Academy? I think he might be dead, hmrpf.

Quote Originally Posted by future cyclops View Post
    Is the floating blue sparkly guy fusion dance Magneto / Havok? Oh or is it that kid from Avengers Academy? I think he might be dead, hmrpf.
    He's the new Inhuman character named Mosaic. He's essentially Deadman.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by future cyclops View Post
    That's some new Inhuman named Mosaic that was announced to have his own ongoing in October.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Nothing about this excites me. Okay, I lied,seeing what I guess is Fin Fang Foom's foot has me curious, as the big guy is one of my all-time faves. But I just know that it's not actually Fin Fang Foom's, because we will discover that FFF is just a title, & he has been replaced by a quirky teen with a 'tude, who is in their freshman year, & just trying to make their way through this wacky thing called life. This leads in Civil War 3, resulting in the shocking death of another black hero.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    He's the new Inhuman character named Mosaic. He's essentially Deadman.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    That's some new Inhuman named Mosaic that was announced to have his own ongoing in October.
    Thanks guys - hrrmm, okay Deadman was always cool. Probably not "start all over as a new character from a faction that a good amount of the fan base is struggling to already take in the massive influx of new characters from and give their own ongoing" cool, but cool enough, umm Boston Brand was that is. This guy.... meh.

You know, Mosaic reminds me of the guy from the Prototype games.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Marvel's status quo pretty much just follows Bendis. His Avengers stories were the prime focus for Marvel while he was on writing duties. The cosmic corner of the MU were prominent when he was writing. The X-Men were still major players when Bendis took over. Now, Iron Man is the face of Marvel NOW! It should really be called Bendis NOW!
    The cosmic corner was prominent before Bendis, he only ruined the cosmic characters (Hickman did a better job than Bendis with the Imperial Guard, Captain Universe and Infinity). The X-men were even bigger players before he took over. I think that the big issue of Marvel is that they gave Bendis too much power and freedom to do whatever he wants (he should have been allowed to do only solo series which are his strenght, team books and events are a disaster).

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Comments like this are always funny.

You think anybody cared about Scarlet Witch when she first appeared? About Hulk? Thor? Iron Man? Every other character in existence?
    No. They were simply built up and used over time so people eventually did care. Some to the detriment of others. Fanbases don't suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Anybody remember this?

The fans of the original X-Men sure must have been salty back in that time. Their characters having to share panel time with characters nobody cares about. The horror.
    No I don't. Which is my point. I'm not excited for these new characters being the key figures in Marvel Now! either. Other people can be, I'm not saying they shouldn't, but this promotion isn't directed at me. I'm all for new characters, I just feel they should be built up before headlining the nu-Marvel. It could satisfy that itch for someone else, but I just don't feel like, as a whole, its a strong cast of characters. Its like you said, the All New All Different X-men, Hulk, Iron Man etc. all had time to build and grow and earn their place as key figures in the Marvel universe; I like the inclusion of Ms. Marvel, Kate, MAC and Miles and will give a pass to SG, but personally (again just my opinion) don't think the likes of Gwenpool, Deadpool sidekicks, nu-Wasp/War Machine, and the other few faces I don't even recognize have anything built up for me to be excited for. They're new or obscure. I'll take half the cast, but I just don't care about the rest.