Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Wreck-It Ralph 2" in Development at Disney

A sequel to Disney Animation's box-office smash "Wreck-It Ralph" is in the pipeline for a 2018 theatrical release.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

Sweet. Been waiting to see this one get followed up on. Still one of my favorite Disney films along with Atlantis the Lost Empire.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

"Wreck-It Ralph" is a great movie and I'm uncertain about a sequel- I think its good as a stand alone

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed the origional Wreck-It Ralph and am fine with them doing a sequel as long as it can maintain the same level of quality as the original.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

As much as I'm happy to be able to look forward to another Wreck-it-Ralph, I'm unsure about the premise.

I don't doubt the creators will do a good job doing a fun exploration of the internet through the cast, and there's a lot to mine there, but I was kinda hoping they'd stick to video games...

Incredible Member

I'll say that I'm torn on this. I really liked the original, and there was definitely room for a sequel. But I have loved Disney's recent original projects- Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia- and am heavily anticipating Moana, and I don't want Disney proper to end up like Pixar- stuck churning out sequels to their films because they're guaranteed sells. With this and Frozen 2 already confirmed, and chances of both a Big Hero 6 sequel and a Zootopia sequel pretty high, I just don't want to see Disney get caught up in the sequel rage.

I was also really looking forward to Gigantic, and am disappointed it's been pushed back to the end of 2018. I hope we get more news on it soon.

On a more positive note though, I'm glad it means we'll get two Disney Feature Animated films in the same year. I would look more kindly on Disney's sequel push if they were to balance it in a similar manner, with a sequel coming out the same year as an original project too.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Sweet. Been waiting to see this one get followed up on. Still one of my favorite Disney films along with Atlantis the Lost Empire.
    Both Atlantis The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet were excellent movies that have now become timeless Disney classics. I just wished that Disney had made Atlantis into a bigger franchise because the film Atlanta The Lost Empire was rich with so much potential for an expanded franchise with varied stories sort of like Nickelodeon's Avatar The Last Airbender opened up into Legend of Korra.

I'm a little surprised to see Disney stepping into the sequel movement because they've usually avoided sequels but back when I first watched Wreck It Ralph the feeling came over me that it was definitely ripe for a sequel. I only hope that Disney doesn't start milking their franchises dead like Ubisoft has done with Assassin's Creed due to over sequelization.

@ Zorkel567, I totally feel you in regards to Gigantic. I was really excited about that movie but then my heart sank with the 2018 push-back but I'm sort of happy because that means they have lot more time to perfect the film and make it into a true masterpiece of film sort of like how the push-back to 2017 has enabled Nintendo to make a dynamically beautiful treasure with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I also agree with you that Disney shines when it comes to original concepts. Another thing that I was sad to see Disney shut down was Gravity Falls. BTW, not to go off on a Zelda tangent but the seafaring promotional art and trailer for Moana sure had me thirsty for more Zelda: The Wind Waker.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first movie. It was a uniquely fun experience. Between Sarah Silverman's humor and Jane Lynch's personality, that first movie had a lot to offer. But when it comes to sequels to their animated movies, Disney is often hit or miss. For every Toy Story 2, there's a Lion King 2 or several. The first Wreck-It Ralph was such a complete movie. I'm not sure how it would be built upon, but I'm certainly interested in giving it a chance.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Ah, no, not the internet. Hollywood needs to get off the internet, not embrace it.
    Nothing good shall come of the internet. Ralph will spend the whole movie wrecking the first movie's Rule 34 page.

Wreck-It Ralph is a pretty good movie.

I don't know how I feel about a sequel, though. Hopefully it maintains the heart and humor of the original.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZionAkeda View Post
    Both Atlantis The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet were excellent movies that have now become timeless Disney classics. I just wished that Disney had made Atlantis into a bigger franchise because the film Atlanta The Lost Empire was rich with so much potential for an expanded franchise with varied stories sort of like Nickelodeon's Avatar The Last Airbender opened up into Legend of Korra.

@ Zorkel567, I totally feel you in regards to Gigantic. I was really excited about that movie but then my heart sank with the 2018 push-back but I'm sort of happy because that means they have lot more time to perfect the film and make it into a true masterpiece of film sort of like how the push-back to 2017 has enabled Nintendo to make a dynamically beautiful treasure with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I also agree with you that Disney shines when it comes to original concepts. Another thing that I was sad to see Disney shut down was Gravity Falls. BTW, not to go off on a Zelda tangent but the seafaring promotional art and trailer for Moana sure had me thirsty for more Zelda: The Wind Waker.
    I think Disney originally did have bigger plans for an Atlantis franchise; I've read there was going to be a TV series (which was turned into the DTV sequel) and a ride at Disneyland. But Disney was disappointed in the box office and decided not to go ahead.

I agree about Gigantic. I hope this means they'll have time to perfect it, because I feel like it has the chance to be another major hit for Disney. It's supposed to be a musical, it's based on a well known fairy tale, and will have both a male and a female lead helping broaden its appeal. It's the Disney Animation film I'm currently most excited about.

In terms of Gravity Falls, I've heard it was the creator's decision to end it. He had said from early on he didn't see it lasting too long. He had a set story he wanted to tell.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=MarvelMaster616;2132619]I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first movie. It was a uniquely fun experience. Between Sarah Silverman's humor and Jane Lynch's personality, that first movie had a lot to offer. But when it comes to sequels to their animated movies, Disney is often hit or miss. For every Toy Story 2, there's a Lion King 2 or several. The first Wreck

You shouldn't count the straight-to-video sequels, as those are their own animal, not in the same ballpark as any sequels released in theaters. I remember reading that Lassiter put an end to the straight-to-video movies as soon as he became head of animation at Disney, leaving only the Tinker Bell movies (which are pretty good) to continue.

The only modern Disney animation I thought warranted a sequel was Big Hero 6 because that's what you do with superheroes.

Frozen, Ralph, etc. while very good films ... they told a complete story and a sequel would be a hard sell for me.

Kind of like Pixar. The only film I thought warranted a sequel was the Incredibles because ... well, superheroes.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I think Disney originally did have bigger plans for an Atlantis franchise; I've read there was going to be a TV series (which was turned into the DTV sequel) and a ride at Disneyland. But Disney was disappointed in the box office and decided not to go ahead.
    Saw it at the movies when it came out. It was ok but got a lot of backlash for ripping off a classic anime by anime fans when it came out!

The anime is about a boy with glasses who along with a trained ground finds the lost city of atlantis in a special sub and falls in love with the princess who has a magic neckless.

Disneys Atlantis is about a boy with glasses who along with a trained ground finds the lost city of atlantis in a special sub and falls in love with the princess who has a magic neckless.

Hmm.

As for ralph 2. I love the first one so I can't wait. Hope it lives up to the first. Still stinks that it lost to brave for best animated movie that year. I like brave but it is nowhere near as good as ralph was.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-02-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    ...As for ralph 2. I love the first one so I can't wait. Hope it lives up to the first. Still stinks that it lost to brave for best animated movie that year. I like brave but it is nowhere near as good as ralph was.
    I think that Brave was a really good movie. I loved how it had that dark magical and shadowy mystical feel that you find in the Jackson Lord of the Rings movies. I never expected to see that in a animated Disney movie.