Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Is it just me or in most continuity don't most of the Robins train for about a year before becoming Robin at the age of 13 or so? Coulda sworn Dick Grayson and Tim Drake started out that way. Picking up the issues when they first came out, I'm pretty sure the post-Crisis Jason only got about six months or so, though.
    I look at Dick Grayson's time as Robin going from 1,940 to 1,984 because it actually flowed over time and kept the origin & stories the same while his post-1,984 Robin stories I considers TDKR/James Bond/Grimdark Grounded/Multiversal Madness with multiple origins that contradict each other and cause confusion. This is why i liked the Morrison era because it went back to that and revived a character that became stagnant. The same thing happened with the new 52 retelling a different origin that got saved by a Morrison influenced Grayson series.

Outside of Grayson things:.

Superman acting like a Greek God and not a Man of Tomorrow.
    The Green Lantern Corps having their hands in everything Cosmic. I was happy when the Vega systems was completely off limits to the GL Corps before the Orange Light retcon.
    Destroying the heroes base - JL Tower, Hall of Justice, Titans Island etc.

BANNED

Evil Siblings, (Orm is much interesting now that's he's complexed and not generally evil) But even then you have Diana who know has a possible Evil Brother, Bruce whose had an Evil brother, Hawkman I believe had an evil Brother, Mera an evil sister,

If we look at evil relatives in general the entire Damian TT lineup exception Beast Boy maybe have evil relatives, Ras, Daniel West, Black Fire, Trigon, possibly Black Manta.

Heroes always Win, every superhero for the most part has incredible will power.

Death is meaningless.

Earth is the center of everything

Astonishing Member

Tragic backstories. Particularly ones that involve dead parents. I was willing to accept the ones that already existed. However, years ago when they started giving them to characters who never needed them like Tora Olafsdotter and Barry Allen, I thought it was becoming too much.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Ending a cliffhanger where the main character is "dead".
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Well, they have introduced Wally and Jesse. Granted, neither of them have gained powers yet like their comic book counterparts, but it's only a matter of time. There was also that one who died real quick (no pun intended) and isn't there supposed to be another next season? I thought I read that somewhere.
    I thought your complaint was about evil speedsters not multiple speedsters in general.

This is what bugged me about Laurel on Arrow. I mean, Sara trained for a minimum of three years before coming back to Star City with what I'm assuming was the entire League of Assassins. Laurel had a few months with an ex-boxer and Nissa. Not to take away from Nissa's abilities, but she didn't even stick around that long.
    Laurel still wasn't on Sara's level even after all that training.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I look at Dick Grayson's time as Robin going from 1,940 to 1,984 because it actually flowed over time and kept the origin & stories the same while his post-1,984 Robin stories I considers TDKR/James Bond/Grimdark Grounded/Multiversal Madness with multiple origins that contradict each other and cause confusion. This is why i liked the Morrison era because it went back to that and revived a character that became stagnant. The same thing happened with the new 52 retelling a different origin that got saved by a Morrison influenced Grayson series.

Outside of Grayson things:.

Superman acting like a Greek God and not a Man of Tomorrow.
    The Green Lantern Corps having their hands in everything Cosmic. I was happy when the Vega systems was completely off limits to the GL Corps before the Orange Light retcon.
    Destroying the heroes base - JL Tower, Hall of Justice, Titans Island etc.
    How is Superman acting like a Greek god?

Turning great villains into generic anti-heroes as their popularity gains traction (or because the writers can't think of anywhere else to put them).

Turning great villains into walking monologues that constantly preach about how symbolic they are and that don't even feel real and human.

Shock value just for the sake of shock value (usually at the expense of more obscure characters that could otherwise be interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How is Superman acting like a Greek god?
    Arrogant or making flawed decisions like TDKR and New 52.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Writers trying to disguise commentary as dialogue. Lol we see you bro. We're picking up what you're putting down.

Hero vs hero, especially with how serious modern stories try to be about it. Beating up another good guy is a low point.

The evil mirror. Usually similar powers and similar background so the story ends up like "I could have been you." Often this involves some improbable tie to the hero, like being the son of Thomas Wayne's old roommate or crash landing on earth the same way superman did.

As for Earth as the center of the universe, well, I'm sure the superhero comics made on Larkstar 7 have Larkmen as the most important beings, too.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

-Hero vs Hero- I'm sick of this one. Marvel I'm looking at you!
    - "Everything you know is wrong..." Yeah right except that it oftentimes isn't.
    -"This event will be a game changing one" or "Things will never be the same after this event" Again yeah right.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Donald Duck has been around now for more than 82 years and still can't hold on to a job. :-)

Annoy...nothing really.

But its got to point where a lot of things about mainstream super hero yarns bore me. For me most of those boring aspects are to do with the primacy of brand image over story.

The pointless fake deaths. All the main characters being young and impossibly good looking. ("Wow" some JSA characters are drawn as early middle aged...but must be better looking than George Clooney and suffer none of the frailties of age. Well maybe for one issue...but next issue they are cured.) No main character ages, retires, realistically matures, permanently dies.

Batman routinely does stuff that no normal human could ever do. No powers...but its Batman...writing him unrealistically must be the "right" thing to do because it sells loads of comics.

But worst of all...Superman, the blue eyed boy of my young lost youth. He's a wonderful character in comics for youngsters.

But DC haven't got a clue how to use him in adult comics. But jeez...he sells comics and moves merchandise...so he has to appear in loads of comics each and every month. Even when nobody has a worthwhile story to tell about him. Seriously...how can DC get to point where they do a storyline on him walking across America spouting psycho-babble?? Something the "real" guy would never do...he'd be too busy helping people.