Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Default Is there TOO MUCH humor in Marvel Comics these days?

So I picked up Captain America this week, and as a long time fan of I feel that the potential dramatic effect of explaining Cap's turn to Hydra was squandered for me by way too much humor in the book.

I get that there should be elements of humor in any kind of entertainment to counter balance the grim and gritty, but as of late Marvel seems to be slipping to the overtly silly instead of being funny.

I picked up an issue of Amazing Spider-Man recently too, which featured Tony and Pete having a brawl in public. Not only is that completely the opposite of the Peter Parker character, but again it was just silly.

Obviously the humor element is a huge part of Marvel's movie formula, but do you guys think there's TOO much humor in the comics?

Fantastic Member

Nope. Some books have more humor than others, but some of those are meant to be comedy books.
    I don't mind general humor in books, never find it to be "too much". Comics aren't meant to have a cap on how much or how little humor it has.

Unless your taking a book like Punisher and turning it into a Deadpool book, I don't see an issue with it. Definitely don' t have an issue with any of the books I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJMorales View Post
    Nope. Some books have more humor than others, but some of those are meant to be comedy books.
    I don't mind general humor in books, never find it to be "too much". Comics aren't meant to have a cap on how much or how little humor it has.

Unless your taking a book like Punisher and turning it into a Deadpool book, I don't see an issue with it. Definitely don' t have an issue with any of the books I'm reading.
    I'd agree with you that humor is an integral part to some books, but this is the first time I've encountered sillyness like this in a Cap book. It's a huge change from other volumes of Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    I'd agree with you that humor is an integral part to some books, but this is the first time I've encountered sillyness like this in a Cap book. It's a huge change from other volumes of Captain America.
    I think that's a good example of why it's better to analyze the issue book-by-book rather than line wide. It may have been a poor editorial choice for this one issue... but I don't think it's a problem for Marvel in general.

Marvel's generally been pushing towards having more light hearted books. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but I can see how some would prefer a more serious tone in some of them.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

What was the humour on Captain America?

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Marvel's generally been pushing towards having more light hearted books. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but I can see how some would prefer a more serious tone in some of them.
    If it's a case of Marvel's comics division trying to emulate the movie division then I think it's a bit of a shame personally, and it definitely puts me off. Obviously I don't expect everyone to share my viewpoint, and I'm really happy for them if they enjoy this shift in tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    What was the humour on Captain America?
    skull.jpg

skull2.jpg

Now I'm not for one second suggesting that it's not funny, but it's too silly for me to invest fully.

I'm actually really glad Marvel's embracing humour so much lately. Superhero comics are inherently ridiculous, and taking them too seriously is just silly.

I prefer lightheartedness in my comics, don't get me wrong comics should have serious situations and do require drama because everything being happy all the time is boring, but I like a sense of fun and humor because I feel not being serious all the time is a good thing. We should be able to enjoy the characters we read and not feel sorry of them or be afraid what will happen to them every time we pick up an issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I prefer lightheartedness in my comics, don't get me wrong comics should have serious situations and do require drama because everything being happy all the time is boring, but I like a sense of fun and humor because I feel not being serious all the time is a good thing. We should be able to enjoy the characters we read and not feel sorry of them or be afraid what will happen to them every time we pick up an issue.
    It becomes an issue for me when it renders the threat of the antagonist impotent. I'm all for enjoying the characters, but when humor is shoehorned in at the expense of past characterisation, that's when it becomes a problem for me.

It's like Marvel are trying too hard to be like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty or something. If I wanted comedy, I'd read comedy.

It becomes an issue for me when it renders the threat of the antagonist impotent. I'm all for enjoying the characters, but when humor is shoehorned in at the expense of past characterisation, that's when it becomes a problem for me.

It's like Marvel are trying too hard to be like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty or something. If I wanted comedy, I'd read comedy.
    I think it depends on the characters that are being written for how humor works. For example: Should Punisher be funny? No! Should Squirrel Girl be funny? Yes! When I read a comic I want to see a sense of joy that comes with the powers or wish fulfillment for the reader.

However it is also important to have a sense of seriousness when the story calls for it so we can feel for the stakes. I guess what I'm trying to say is a nice balance is important.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

skull.jpg

skull2.jpg

Now I'm not for one second suggesting that it's not funny, but it's too silly for me to invest fully.
    You were so bothered you decided that Marvel has too much humour just because of these two panels? Really? The whole book is pretty serious, that doesn't change anything.

The X-books has been dark and gritty for a really long time.

BANNED

Depends on how serious one wants to take comics. A story being all grrrr-serious doesn't make it more mature and adult.