Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Christopher J. Priest!!!

Christopher J. Priest (born James Owsley) has written almost every major character published. Priest is also the first African American writer in comics, as well as the first African American editor.

Christopher J. Priest was born James Christopher Owsley in 1961. He was born and raised in New York. When he was 10 years old he started writing superhero and sci-fi stories, with dreams of becoming an editor.
    In 1978, he was hired to work at Marvel and worked alongside creators such as Stan Lee, John Romita Jr., Dave Cockrum, Ralf Macchio, Larry Hama, Roger Stern, and many others.

In 1984 he was promoted to editor (becoming the first African American in mainstream comics) and was put in charge of Spider-Man books.
    Christopher Priest went on to become the first African American writer in comics when his Falcon Limited Series was published.
    He went on to cover such books as Power Man & Iron Fist, Conan The Barbarian and Spider-Man v. Wolverine.

He scored an exclusive writing deal in '87 that let him work from home, but after that he went "non-exclusive" and did some work at DC. He did some writing then decided to stop working on comics.
    In 1990, he was offered an editor position at DC and, being recently married, he took it (after some resistance). Priest became friends with DC Executive VP and Publisher Paul Levitz, and they are still friends today.
    He worked on several projects (including The Ray) but not all of them made it to print.

Around that time, he joined up with Dwayne McDuffie, Michael Davis and Derek Dingle to work on what would eventually be the Milstone comics line. After some time, Priest decided to go freelance.
    He got some work from DC writing The Ray and another book. A little after this, he changed his name from Jim Owsley to Christopher J. Priest.
    He went to work for Valiant, but it ended badly because of problems with "Solar: Man of the Atom" that were out of his control.

After this whole unfortunate fiasco, he moved to Colorado Springs. He got a call and was offered work from Fabian Nicieza of New Valiant.
    After checking with other creators, he learned that Fabian wasn't a bad guy, so he accepted and started writing the fan-favorite Quantum & Woody.
    He then went on to work for Marvel doing the third (and considered by many, the BEST) volume of Black Panther.

Outside of his comics career, Priest is an ordained Baptist minister and a professional music producer.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I would love to see him working for Marvel again but he's doing his thing with other companies now. Funny how Marvel can hire CM Punk to write comics just from meeting him at a party but Marvel won't give Priest a phone call.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Happy birthday Chris!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

I'd very much like to see him return to Marvel, but as it stands, I'm really excited for his Deathstroke book.

Cristoper Priest is awesome. Period.

BANNED

Happy birthday Christopher Priest. Keep on writing such great works of comics.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Christopher J. Priest!!!

Looking forward to seeing what he does with the Inhumans. And to tell the truth, I'd be interested to see how Infamous Iron Man would have turned out if Priest were doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what he does with the Inhumans. And to tell the truth, I'd be interested to see how Infamous Iron Man would have turned out if Priest were doing it.
    I just want him to come back and write black panther, though that's probably never gonna happen. But as you said, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with inhumans and his deathstroke run is awesome.

Incredible Member

Happy Birthday! I'm really looking forward to Inhumans Once and Future Kings. Finally a book with all of the Royals in it, as opposed to Royals, which only has half the Royal Family in it.

Mr. Priest needs to get brought back as the writer for an ongoing Fantastic Four series. That would be classic. He can have Panther guest star all he wants. Sub-Mariner, Deadpool, Thor, etc.

Happy belated birthday Mr. Priest .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Mr. Priest needs to get brought back as the writer for an ongoing Fantastic Four series. That would be classic. He can have Panther guest star all he wants. Sub-Mariner, Deadpool, Thor, etc.
    I'd read it for sure.