Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman #2 Preview

http://www.newsarama.com/29944-man-o...2-preview.html

Well this is a nice teaching method.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Today is a damn fine day

Gleason stay killin it on the art, man!! Like for a second I thought I was watching the continued adventures of Superman from the animated show. Also the suit isn't distracting. I really love how it looks in action and when he's interacting with people.

Also has anyone else noticed that Clark sweats now? This time it's likely just the water, but I also noticed it last issue when he was on the farm doing heavy lifting. I'm not saying it means he's weaker or what have (I mean who the f$ck even cares, right?) but I think I really like that little touch for this Superman. It's very blue collar, and evokes Fleischer Superman a bit along with the suit (in my mind for some reason).

Love Jon and Clark's interaction. I loved when he asked if his dad was gonna turn him over to the JLA. It really hammers home how the intentional creepiness of the that Trinity pic last issue.

Side note: I wonder what the meeting of Clark and Kenan will be like? lol

Astonishing Member

Boat looks like a whale to me for some reason.
    Last edited by The World; 07-01-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

WTH is the giant octopus from nowhere haha

Nice that superman took his son to the "took your son to the work day", super cute.

art is really so good, perfect colors

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    WTH is the giant octopus from nowhere haha
    Haha well, they do live in the DCU. Just about anything could happen. Classic Superman day (though it's likely something to do with Eradicator) Jon get's to see first hand.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Solid preview, love Gleason's art and the giant squid or octopus(?) is a nice touch. XD Can't wait to get my hands on this next Wednesday!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

For the love of God, would you people finally give him his underwear back?! It just looks awkward having him showing his neck again without the underwear! It's like it's only him from the waist up!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It feels like the art is even sharper now. Most excellent. And the dialogue, honestly just the one page alone made a solid preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Today is a damn fine day

Gleason stay killin it on the art, man!! Like for a second I thought I was watching the continued adventures of Superman from the animated show. Also the suit isn't distracting. I really love how it looks in action and when he's interacting with people.

Also has anyone else noticed that Clark sweats now? This time it's likely just the water, but I also noticed it last issue when he was on the farm doing heavy lifting. I'm not saying it means he's weaker or what have (I mean who the f$ck even cares, right?) but I think I really like that little touch for this Superman. It's very blue collar, and evokes Fleischer Superman a bit along with the suit (in my mind for some reason).

Love Jon and Clark's interaction. I loved when he asked if his dad was gonna turn him over to the JLA. It really hammers home how the intentional creepiness of the that Trinity pic last issue.

Side note: I wonder what the meeting of Clark and Kenan will be like? lol
    That meeting could be either hilarious or interesting depending on when it happens in Kenan's development.

This looks great. Can't believe the Super books have made it back to the top of my weekly reading stack.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Looks good.

I'm excited to read the Super books again. My comic geek life is good.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

If they had taken Jon out of it, the preview would have been fine, if fairly standard.

I mean, truth is, they did a similar story about Superman saving a nuclear sub, except with added intrigue of it being Russian and some other factors, back in, I think, it was Jurgens' run on the new52 Superman title. I liked it, and it'd be fine to do something similar that goes somewhere different. I understand that there are a ton of Superman comics published every month going back like 80 years, and you can't tell something wholly different from every other story very often.

However, oddly enough, I don't remember many people besides me liking that story from the new52 Superman book. It seems like perhaps there is a vocal contingent of folks who like this new title simply because it features SuperDad and his 10 year old superhero son. I wonder if that represents a very large group of the general public, or if this will turn them off. I also wonder if perhaps some people might buy some issues for the novelty value of Superman having a son, but eventually just want Superman stories, and drop off the title if it keeps featuring the son heavily, feeling like the Jon thing has gotten old.

I guess time will tell on the general public's reaction.

My reaction is still that I won't pay for it.

I guess there is some chance that I could buy up early issues of this title if they are featured as one of Comixology's 99 cent issues sales or something (A chance, not definitely or even 50-50, if I'm hard up for cheap reading material), but they are never going to hook me as a full price advanced subscriber with Jon at the center of this title (If I ever even buy an issue at all, which hasn't happened yet, and may never happen). I'm upset enough about them killing off my Superman and replacing him with a Superman who is different in ways I don't like and who doesn't remember any of the adventures of new52 Superman that make up the majority of my collection. Then add that he's co-starring in a book with a son and I don't like child superheroes and, well...

The Superman title still stays in the no-buy zone for me this week.

And I'll point out I was a digital subscriber to the new52 version of this title through Comixology and got each new issue automatically at full price every month. So it's not like I'm impossible to please or wouldn't subscribe no matter what. I can be pleased and I was pleased and I did subscribe- when it was new52 Superman without the young sidekick. There are definitely people who they've turned off with this direction. We'll have to see in the long-run if the people they've turned off out-number the people they've brought back in, and also whether or not people who initially were giving this a chance jump off the title as it continues, because of the direction and format, and to be fair the inverse as well, whether initial holdouts jump on for some reason.

I still feel like there was and is plenty of room in the DC Comics line for both Supermen. When new52 Superman was the guy, I would have been fine with Pre-Crisis Superman or whomever SuperDad really is having his own monthly book in his own universe. Now, on the outside looking in, it'd be nice if they'd at least throw us a bone and give new52 Superman his own monthly book in some sort of alternate continuation of the new52 universe, or as a second Superman who rare crosses pathes with the Superman cast, or even as a Superman in another city or with another name. I don't see why that's too much to ask in a world where there like a zillion Spidermans.

But, anyway, nothing here to make feel like I have to change my mind and buy this issue. It is kind of a shame, though, because, like I said, without Jon, the story would be fine and I'd probably get it, based on the preview. But they tossed my Superman overboard and hauled in a different guy with a kid-barnacle (Sticking with the preview's nautical theme).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Breaking news, Supercrab tells us once again in a really long post how much he hates Jon and won't buy Superman comics with him in it. Film at 11!

When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Spectacular Member BeefBourguignon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Breaking news, Supercrab tells us once again in a really long post how much he hates Jon and won't buy Superman comics with him in it. Film at 11!

Yes, quite tedious at this point. Broken record.

Astonishing Member

Jon isn't going anywhere any time soon. He'll probably feature in approximately 90% of the books Superman is in. It's not like he's eating up all the space by existing.