All-New Member

Default Confused about "Flash point" and how that started new 52 and justice league becoming gods?

Im a little confused on the "Flash Point" graphic novel. Towards the end, flash is running to undo the Flashpoint world he made and sees a woman who says that the universe was split into 3. Im assuming at the end of the book Flash returns home but in the new 52 world? Is that right? But it thats true, why didnt he remember that he was in the wrong time stream but remembered the flash point world. If thats not right, when exactly did new 52 start?

Also, right before "DC Rebirth" the justice league like, shazaam, lex luthor became gods...then when rebirth happened, it isnt mentioned and lex luthor is the new superman but not a god anymore? my understanding is that Rebirth was just a way to tie in pre flashpoint stories so that actually happened?

Someone else will have to answer the Flashpoint question, but as far as Lex I'm pretty sure everything is explained in Justice League #52 (the last issue of the New 52 series), which was released after Rebirth was released but takes place before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by her0tr0n View Post
    Im a little confused on the "Flash Point" graphic novel. Towards the end, flash is running to undo the Flashpoint world he made and sees a woman who says that the universe was split into 3. Im assuming at the end of the book Flash returns home but in the new 52 world? Is that right? But it thats true, why didnt he remember that he was in the wrong time stream but remembered the flash point world. If thats not right, when exactly did new 52 start?

Also, right before "DC Rebirth" the justice league like, shazaam, lex luthor became gods...then when rebirth happened, it isnt mentioned and lex luthor is the new superman but not a god anymore? my understanding is that Rebirth was just a way to tie in pre flashpoint stories so that actually happened?
    The new52 started the instant that Barry returned to the present after correcting the ugly Flashpoint universe. However, because the of the interference of Pandora, not only did the world change to the new52, but Barry's memories of what came before changed as well. So Barry actually thought he had fixed everything just fine, because he thought the world had always been like the new52.

I believe most of your second paragraph is resolved in Justice League #50. The most pertinent point is that Superwoman's baby turns out to have the ability to absorb godly powers, so it is used to pull those powers out of the Justice League, returning them to normal.

BANNED

The baby being used as a weapon was one of the most hilarious moments in the series. I think the baby also absorbed luthors power and darkseïd was reborn in the baby. The Crime Squad were just jobbers in the whole story and the baby was one of the most absurd plot devices I have seen in recent times introduced to work as a deux ex machina.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

It's implied in Justice League #52 that Lex still has the powers he gained on Apokolips, along with his own personal mother box.

Edit: Oops, I misread that, he actually just has a mother box.
    Last edited by sustainentropy; 07-02-2016 at 09:49 AM.

All-New Member

awesome ! thanks guys ! i got that JL #52 and it all makes sense now, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by her0tr0n View Post
    Im a little confused......
    Welcome to the DC Universe.

Would you prefer a side order of inconsistent backstories to go with your annual Crisis package or would you prefer the Anti-Monitor special?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Would you prefer a side order of inconsistent backstories to go with your annual Crisis package or would you prefer the Anti-Monitor special?
    Not to worry if it comes out wrong, Chef Geoff Johns will recook it to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSontaran View Post
    Not to worry if it comes out wrong, Chef Geoff Johns will recook it to your liking.
    Don't know how much he's even bothering with the funny book-end these days. He's no longer writing anything for the foreseeable future.

From what I understood he came in and plotted out the DC universe as it is going to be/has started to be on a board and wrote the DC Rebirth #1 to get the ball rolling. It felt like a "We really screwed up, so here's how we put the train back on the rails" sort of thing.

But I think you're right, he's going to be busy from now on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Of course, when a key issue that answers all of your questions just has to be read, I don't think that can be blamed on DC.

I'm not saying the original poster did anything wrong, but I think it's unfair to be snarky about DC in this particular case.

To me, the Darkseid war storyline became a muddled mess, and was more of a "hey, look at the cool images of the JLA being gods!" The ending plot twist with the baby was nonsense, and seriously, does Darkseid do ANYTHING besides the anti life equation???
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

BANNED

In this case it was the Anti Monitor and his daughter who had possession of the Anti Life Equation but I understand what you are trying to say. Almost every story of Darkseïd has involved the equation. Heck even in this story it's about the same thing and we don't get a explanation for why killing darkseïd causes such an upheaval and leads to the freeing of the monitor from the equation and creation of new gods. He was just one god dying and not all the new gods to necessitate creating a new pantheon of gods. You would think Darkseïd was the embodiment of the source or whatever it is that empower the New Gods the way his death affects the reality and in converse when the Anti Monitor died we hardly get a peep out of anyone. Granted he was free from the equation but the creator of Mobius Chair dying should have caused some effect. We also don't get any explanation about the connection between Mobius and the New Gods or his origins showing how he ended up in possession of the equation. It left many plot threads unresolved and didn't involve Diana getting to play a major role as all the action was hogged by Darkseïd's daughter. I don't know why but all the major villains always have a daughter who takes center stage in some event. For example Luthor's daughter played a major role in Our Worlds at War. Sin the Red Skull's daughter had a important role in Fear itself and instigated the whole event just like Darkseïd's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    To me, the Darkseid war storyline became a muddled mess, and was more of a "hey, look at the cool images of the JLA being gods!" The ending plot twist with the baby was nonsense, and seriously, does Darkseid do ANYTHING besides the anti life equation???
    In other words . . . a typical Geoff Johns story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In other words . . . a typical Geoff Johns story.
    Lol he does try to fold old concepts into new ones to create new story possibilities but it doesn't always work.