Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Issue 1s of comics are widely reviewed. The difficulty with aggregating reviews for later issues of comics is that, well, they don't tend to be as frequently considered.

On comicbookroundup.com exactly one review for Uncanny X-Men 9 is given - and that review is a 4. It might actually be as bad as that, I haven't read it yet, but it's just one review.

Extraordinary X-Men in contrast has three reviews on comicbookroundup - one an 8, one a 7.6... and one a 4.

Maybe you're using more reviews than they are, but the critical community for comics is not particularly wide.
    What you are saying is definitely true. It always depends on the book though. Most reviewers simply cannot review every book that is released and that is totally logical considering the amount of time that needs to be spent for reading them and then writing a review about them and all of that fast because the next batch is only a week away. So they have to pick and choose and some books just get away more favorably than others.
    If you want an example you just have to look at All-New Wolverine. Every issue besides #6 has at least 5 reviews so it definitely has a good sample size.
    Something like X-Men '92 is the exact opposite and I have already touched upon that in my original post that I plan on removing it if I should do something like this again.

That UXM in this particular instance has a small sample size and a ravaging one to boot is unfortunate but there is nothing we can do about it. If you want to you can see it as a rating in itself that so many reviewers don't feel compelled to write their thoughts about some books.
    As a possible warning I could point out small sample sizes like this next time though. That being said comics are a niche medium that also has a weekly release schedule. Every issue of every series getting like 20 reviews is just not happening for reasons I have already said. While 1 or 0 reviews are obviously problematic I find 2 or more to be perfectly acceptable for a series that has been ongoing for over 6 months. If anything that is just the status quo on the comic book market for better or worse.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    The root mean square deviation is a way to measure the variance of a serie of measures (the differences between the various values). Applied to the various reviewers rating, it would give an indication of the "consistency" of the scores. Applied to each issues, it would give an indication of the overall consistency of the quality of the whole book (ie is the average rating the result of books with widely different quality or are all the books of a constant quality).

It's something like this: sqrt( sum( (x-mean(x))^2 )/(N-1)

Edit:
    You are doing an average and, based on it, calculate how the score evolved (+0.1, -0.1...) compared to the previous month. But as I said, if there is many issues, a single issue won't affect the result so it's kinda pointless. A RMS won't have this problem and won't be affected by the size of the population.
    I will be honest and blunt with you. Im not in the mood to do any math but I also won't stop other people from doing it if they feel like it. Feel free to volunteer
    I also don't see this as some kind of project that is in need of scientific accuracy or anything like that.

It's just fun to see the opinions of other people from time to time because of the small user base of this board.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Yeah but I don't know how to handle reviewers that put extremely high or extremely low scores just so people click and read their reviews (and who are part of the small user base of this board anyway)

Deadpool V Gambit was a good issue and really fun.
    Loved it.

This may be slightly off topic but it seemed to be the most appropriate thread to bring it up in: I noticed Lemire isn't listed as the writer for exm issue #14 on the marvel.com website. It still lists Ramos as the artist though.

I wonder if a writer change is coming?

Also we have preview covers for exm 13 and 14 but not exm 12 (at least not that I can find); I wonder if the cover for 12 is a major spoiler or something?

Also, bendis's x books received lots of reviews according to comic book roundup even far into his run. It's a shame the current x books aren't getting as many reviews.

yup I bought the issues without the Land art. He came back and then I dropped the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Because this forum is essentially a big echo chamber of mostly people who enjoy Uncanny, which is not necessarily indicative of general fan or critical reception. Because critics seem to be getting tired of the anti-hero trend, which I completely agree with. Land art.
    Here we go with that damn logic and understanding of how shit really works. Get that common sense off this board...LL
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Also, bendis's x books received lots of reviews according to comic book roundup even far into his run. It's a shame the current x books aren't getting as many reviews.
    Probably even the reviewers see that the X books are going nowhere and don't bother to review them... Or Lack of diversity.
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    EXM is doing well. UXM deserves a better rating but ANX should have the lowest score.
    There are bigger expectations from EXM since it's the flagship with an ascending writer and an A list cast, it's being reviewed as such. ANXM is a side book with b and c listers being the protagonists and it's being reviewed as such and there are lower expectations
    Last edited by somacula; 07-03-2016 at 08:21 PM.

I just can't take these rating seriously when EXM and ANXM were ranked higher than UXM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Here we go with that damn logic and understanding of how shit really works. Get that common sense off this board...LL
    Well, the sales dont agree with the critics.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This may be slightly off topic but it seemed to be the most appropriate thread to bring it up in: I noticed Lemire isn't listed as the writer for exm issue #14 on the marvel.com website. It still lists Ramos as the artist though.

I wonder if a writer change is coming?

Also we have preview covers for exm 13 and 14 but not exm 12 (at least not that I can find); I wonder if the cover for 12 is a major spoiler or something?
    Lemire gone??!! X-Fans are not that lucky so get it out of your head lol! but we should expect the worse if it's actually true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Lemire gone??!! X-Fans are not that lucky so get it out of your head lol! but we should expect the worse if it's actually true.
    That usually happens when there are rewrites mandated by the editorial and the writer is so against the story that he demands his name to be removed. So expect something horrible to happen in that issue, maybe Jeen kisses oml(or bangs him) , Storm bows down to Medusa, Iceman is turned straight again, Illyana kills a puppy, or cyclops is proven right again