Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Not serious. Nobody would parody Hilary like this for fear of enflaming the Twitter-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    Not serious. Nobody would parody Hilary like this for fear of enflaming the Twitter-verse.
    I don't really care about your political views. But calling out people for supporting Trump is what any sane person should do, regardless if they are republicans or not. He truly is that bad. Taking digs at Hillary, regardless if I think Sanders would be the best alternative, don't change that. He's literally everything that is wrong with politics today, and the fact that he got this far is scary as hell. Captain America should definitely punch his face on a cover and I'd buy that, and by Captain I mean Falcon, since Hydra Cap would probably support Trump.

This is disrespectful... to MODOK. Associating the awesome character with a nutbar like Trump.

Anyway, I'm a centrist who has views that can go against both wings, but it's undeniably easy to see that Trump is awful. The things he has said in recent times are not appropriate. Although, I doubt he even believes half the crap he says, because he is just saying things to get votes from far-right crazies which says more about the people who eat his stuff up than it does about him. It takes a certain kind of disconnect from reality to disagree about these statements being racist and so forth, when it's made incredibly obvious and clear as day without any attempt to actually hide the inappropriate nature of those statements. Stop towing party lines and start looking objectively. Yes, both candidates are awful, but with things like Trump's libel law changes, the refusal to condemn the KKK and the absurdly stupid wall comments, it's easy to see that Trump is worse. A country where the Democrats are in charge isn't brilliant at all, but a country where the Republicans are in charge is straight up dangerous. This is so clearly true, nobody should be putting that up for debate. I can say a lot of things about the far left, but the far right are the most immediate threat to public safety and equality. Equality is not solely a liberal idea, it's a moral imperative we have to strive for. Being a decent human being to others is not political and people need to stop accusing others of being "a liberal" when they just want to be nice. Statements that are coming from Trump and the other far-right candidates (Cruz would have been worse than Trump honestly cos he actually believes the things he says) are not nice at all. Look at it from the perspective of a person, not as a party-member.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
    I don't really care about your political views. But calling out people for supporting Trump is what any sane person should do, regardless if they are republicans or not. He truly is that bad.
    I'm personally not a fan of Trump. People have their reasons for liking him and it's not because they're racists or uneducated. Are there Trump supporters who are racist and uneducated? Of course. The hyperbole that people use vilifying him on some sort of Hitler level is just the flip side of the "Obama is a Muslim" hyperbole. We've lost the ability to disagree with one another politically and both sides are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Kane View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of Trump. People have their reasons for liking him and it's not because they're racists or uneducated. Are there Trump supporters who are racist and uneducated? Of course. The hyperbole that people use vilifying him on some sort of Hitler level is just the flip side of the "Obama is a Muslim" hyperbole. We've lost the ability to disagree with one another politically and both sides are to blame.
    No, they aren't the same thing. Being a Muslim isn't a crime, he being one or not. You can't compare being a Muslim with endorsing racism and xenophobia. Trump is America's equivalent of Hitler by his own words and promises, not really hyperbole. And not believing that he actually believes what he says is also a manner of sugarcoating. Guy is nuts and should have no business running for president of any country, let alone the USA.

Amazing Member

No, they aren't the same thing. Being a Muslim isn't a crime, he being one or not. You can't compare being a Muslim with endorsing racism and xenophobia. Trump is America's equivalent of Hitler by his own words and promises, not really hyperbole. And not believing that he actually believes what he says is also a manner of sugarcoating. Guy is nuts and should have no business running for president of any country, let alone the USA.
    Okay you're right. Congratulations.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    This is disrespectful... to MODOK. Associating the awesome character with a nutbar like Trump.

Anyway, I'm a centrist who has views that can go against both wings, but it's undeniably easy to see that Trump is awful. The things he has said in recent times are not appropriate. Although, I doubt he even believes half the crap he says, because he is just saying things to get votes from far-right crazies which says more about the people who eat his stuff up than it does about him. It takes a certain kind of disconnect from reality to disagree about these statements being racist and so forth, when it's made incredibly obvious and clear as day without any attempt to actually hide the inappropriate nature of those statements. Stop towing party lines and start looking objectively. Yes, both candidates are awful, but with things like Trump's libel law changes, the refusal to condemn the KKK and the absurdly stupid wall comments, it's easy to see that Trump is worse. A country where the Democrats are in charge isn't brilliant at all, but a country where the Republicans are in charge is straight up dangerous. This is so clearly true, nobody should be putting that up for debate. I can say a lot of things about the far left, but the far right are the most immediate threat to public safety and equality. Equality is not solely a liberal idea, it's a moral imperative we have to strive for. Being a decent human being to others is not political and people need to stop accusing others of being "a liberal" when they just want to be nice. Statements that are coming from Trump and the other far-right candidates (Cruz would have been worse than Trump honestly cos he actually believes the things he says) are not nice at all. Look at it from the perspective of a person, not as a party-member.
    Quoted for truth.

One doesn't need to be conservative or liberal to realize that most of what Trump is saying is just wrong. All this talk about Walls, Mexicans, Muslims is morally wrong and I'm genuinely surprised that someone who's running for office (in the US no less) can have such views. It's straight up baffling.

Hilary Clinton isn't a good choice either but she's still the lesser of two evils.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Kind of funny, but it mostly seems kind of dumb. I mean what's the point of this?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    False equivalency. Trump is a cartoonish boor of an idiot. He's not on the same level of Bull Tanner and certainly not Adolf Hitler.

IMO, considering his past associations and opinions (especially close friendships with the Clintons), I would not put it past him that he is a Clinton plant purposefully becoming a caricature of Republicans in order to guarantee that Hillary not only wins the election, but causes enough damage to guarantee she wins re-election too. Now THAT is a supervillain-level plot of a higher grade than simply turning him into MODOK!

The Republican low-information voters (the Dems have their own set, btw, they came out for Obama in 2008 and 2012), largely silent since the Reagan years, came out in force for him, which alienated the swath of Republican higher-information voters such as myself. That's what caused this whole mess and the current civil war in the Republican Party. To understand why he sold the low-information voters on him is more than just appealing to racism and baser instincts, but his strong populist rhetoric appealing to a specific type of voter that feels marginalized and like the country is lost.

It is far more nuanced, and certainly more frightening, as populism can be, than turning him into MODOK and spout off stupid shit parodying some of his comments. Nick Spencer came closer to understanding what makes Trump so appealing to the low information voters in the first Steve Rogers issue, but concentrated too much on the racism and not enough on the populism aspect, which is the underlying layer that we should really be analyzing.
    Speaking of "low-information voters"....

...was Trump a "plant" back when he was calling Obama a "Kenyan" (and others were calling him a Muslim) and the vast majority of Republicans -- "high-information" and otherwise -- were sitting silent and acting as if it that wasn't a problem?

The fact that Trump could rise to the top of the Republican party so quickly has nothing to do with Hillary -- take some responsibility for the ignorance and racism that many in your party have fostered over the years: someone like Trump would never survive (and prosper) in the Democratic party spouting racist rhetoric and telling voters to "punch the crap" out of those they disagree with...

...yet that kind of behavior took him straight to the top of the Republican charts.

Trying to deflect blame to "low-information voters" and trying to dismiss Trump's blatantly racist rhetoric as not being a a MAJOR reason as to why many Republicans voted for him, when the Republican party has been appealing to the more base instincts of it's party for decades now (via racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc) is ridiculous -- you might be able to lie to yourself about what the Republican party has become in the past couple of decades, but don't expect others to fall for that nonsense, because we've been watching it happen -- and wondering why it was being allowed to happen -- on an almost daily basis for years now.

When prominent Republicans like Colin Powell and Rand Paul -- then later Kasich and Romney -- took a stand against the party's racism, they were dismissed as "RINO's" and "losers", so let's not act as if Trump is some surprising new phenomenon that no one could have predicted sweeping the Republican nomination.

Trump isn't a Hillary "plant"... he is the Republican party finally reaping what it has sown.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-03-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Amazing Member

I'm sure Marvel will get right to work abusing Hillary and Obama...maybe Hillary in an alternate universe as sweet old Aunt May and Obama as Black Panther's cool uncle.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Kind of funny, but it mostly seems kind of dumb. I mean what's the point of this?

to push the Marvel political agenda....Nick Spencer should have written it..

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by krighton View Post
    to push the Marvel political agenda....Nick Spencer should have written it..
    You make it sound like this was a editorial thing.

This bullshit talk about Marvel's "agenda" couldn't be restringed to that gamergate non-sense, isn't? I can't really believe how low the USA has fallen. This is just sad, really.

Back when Cap was created, I bet that if this non-sense about 'agenda' was a thing, there would be Hitler sympathizers talking about Timely's 'agenda'. *eyeroll*
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 07-03-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Amazing Member

This bullshit talk about Marvel's "agenda" couldn't be restringed to that gamergate non-sense, isn't? I can't really believe how low the USA has fallen. This is just sad, really.

Back when Cap was created, I bet that if this non-sense about 'agenda' was a thing, there would be Hitler sympathizers talking about Timely's 'agenda'. *eyeroll*
    Joe Simon and Jack Kirby got real, credible death threats over Cap fighting Nazis. So yeah, there absolutely were (though they likely weren't comics fans). Overall, imagining what the response would have been had the modern "everything sucks" fan communities of the internet had existed throughout comics history is a fun exercise:

"Why is some stupid character best left in the 1940's leading the Masters of Evil, and why are they calling it Avengers? Bring back the real Avengers!"

"So the X-Men are just born with super powers? Time for Marvel to admit it: They're out of ideas."

"Marvel's pushing its integrationist agenda with this Gabe Jones character. The army was segregated during WWII, stop shoving negroes down our throats!"

"Making the Falcon into Captain America's partner and putting his name in the title of the book is nothing more than PC pandering to the so-called Civil Rights crowd."

"Giving Black Widow a solo feature in Amazing Adventures is nothing more than the liberals of Marvel Comics trying to push pro-communist propaganda."

And so on and so forth.

This just seems...kinda boring. Don't take that to mean I'm a Trump supporter(I'm the furthest thing from that) but now Trump jokes are just kinda boring, especially considering how far this whole nightmare of an election is gotten so far. I'm definitely with democratic views 9 out of 10 times and thus don't often disagree with the political statements Marvel has in there comics...but I do find they tend to be really ham-fisted.