Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I wouldn't say that mutants as endangered species ruins the X-men. I'd be more inclined to say that extinction stories that are poorly handled tend to ruin the X-men. What makes the Terrigen Mist story so egregious is that so much of it happened off-panel and the Inhumans came out with absolutely no ill effects. If there was a war, then the X-men definitely lost and for some reason, there was no sympathy whatsoever for them. Combine that with Marvel's unspoken agenda for undermining anything for which they don't have the movie rights and it's perfectly understandable why these stories would be so bad.

With respect to villain, I think that's a similar issue. It really depends on how the story is handled. An extinction story can bring about new villains, but only if the story is strong. Right now, Marvel doesn't seem to be committed to strong X-men stories. They don't seem to be committed to the X-men in general, at least not until the issue with the movie rights is resolved. It took years for the M-Day plot to play out. I imagine this plot with the T-mists will be even longer or until the movie rights issues are settled, whichever comes first.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Who's missing and how or why do you attribute their absence to the Terrigen Mist?
    Well there a lot of missing characters. The mist is probably related, but it has more to do with what happened after SW, which Marvel hasn't revealed to us yet because, you know, #suspense. There was some conflict, but we dont know the reason, or scale. Just that it's Cyclops' fault. This is so bad it's given me more reason to not bother reading any X-Men books (coming up on 2 years now). Unlike a lot of folk here who cry and whine about the problem, yet still devour anything with an "X" on it.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The "existential" threat of extinction has been bull---- from the start, for this to be the X-Men's primary motivation requires the X-men to undergo a fundamental change of thinking from believing mutants are a part of humanity to believing that mutants are something separate from mankind. It requires the X-men to philosophically believe in the title of Homo-Superior.

After M-Day Scott and Emma could have still had kids, they just would have been normal human kids... that's not extinction. Being disappointed in your kid for not having mutant powers is like being disappointed that your kid is not his highschool's starting quarterback, yeah people get that way but you're being a giant a--hole. Mutant powers were never a right they were a genetic happenstance and mutants were always supposed to be able to have children that might not be gifted.

The entire idea that Mutants are a separate race and need special privileges to be preserved as such, (i.e. the right to murder whomever they choose... looking at you Summers/Wolverine) is diametrically opposed to the idea of integration, co-existence and civil rights. It strips the X-men of everything that makes them unique in the genre of comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupe1979 View Post
    The "existential" threat of extinction has been bull---- from the start, for this to be the X-Men's primary motivation requires the X-men to undergo a fundamental change of thinking from believing mutants are a part of humanity to believing that mutants are something separate from mankind. It requires the X-men to philosophically believe in the title of Homo-Superior.

After M-Day Scott and Emma could have still had kids, they just would have been normal human kids... that's not extinction. Being disappointed in your kid for not having mutant powers is like being disappointed that your kid is not his highschool's starting quarterback, yeah people get that way but you're being a giant a--hole. Mutant powers were never a right they were a genetic happenstance and mutants were always supposed to be able to have children that might not be gifted.

The entire idea that Mutants are a separate race and need special privileges to be preserved as such, (i.e. the right to murder whomever they choose... looking at you Summers/Wolverine) is diametrically opposed to the idea of integration, co-existence and civil rights. It strips the X-men of everything that makes them unique in the genre of comic books.
    Well, i think that it's more like black parents having white childrens.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, i think that it's more like black parents having white childrens.
    Depends on if you see mutants as the equivalent of top level athletes, or an identity.

For me it's the first to be honest, never cared much for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupe1979 View Post

Well first of all, that's not the deal right now. Mutants are dying and everyone that survived the Terrigen Mists are sterile outright. No babies at all.

But M-Day didn't start that idea that mutants being mutants is their normal. And being allowed to preserve their normal IS a civil rights idea. Turning mutants into humans isn't a display of co-existence. An active curse on reality that kills mutantbabies before they are born (cause it's magic, not biology) IS something the X-Men would fight. How far they should take that fight is moral quandary that X-Men faced, Beast and Cyclops failed that test. That's not bad storytelling, or neccesarily a bad direction to take the franchise.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Well there a lot of missing characters. The mist is probably related, but it has more to do with what happened after SW, which Marvel hasn't revealed to us yet because, you know, #suspense. There was some conflict, but we dont know the reason, or scale. Just that it's Cyclops' fault. This is so bad it's given me more reason to not bother reading any X-Men books (coming up on 2 years now). Unlike a lot of folk here who cry and whine about the problem, yet still devour anything with an "X" on it.
    There are always missing characters. And no, it's probably not Mist-related.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    So, basically your guessing and have no reasonable theories to proffer, huh?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Well first of all, that's not the deal right now. Mutants are dying and everyone that survived the Terrigen Mists are sterile outright. No babies at all.

But M-Day didn't start that idea that mutants being mutants is their normal. And being allowed to preserve their normal IS a civil rights idea. Turning mutants into humans isn't a display of co-existence. An active curse on reality that kills mutantbabies before they are born (cause it's magic, not biology) IS something the X-Men would fight. How far they should take that fight is moral quandary that X-Men faced, Beast and Cyclops failed that test. That's not bad storytelling, or neccesarily a bad direction to take the franchise.
    So, your saying that baseline humans (who are supposedly unaffected by the Mist) can no longer give birth to mutants?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

So, your saying that baseline humans (who are supposedly unaffected by the Mist) can no longer give birth to mutants?
    Doesn't seem to be what he's saying at all. He's just talking about mutants.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I agree with Wall Streeter. The mutant extinction crap has been overplayed and tired. It is reduced the X-men Rouges gallery to almost nothing. It has not pushed the franchise ahead in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    I agree that racism is not logical. I just wish it was racism against both non-mutants and mutants. In a world where 50% or more have some kind of superpower. Targeting mutants makes no sense imo. In a world where the majority of people have no superpowers then it makes sense to target mutants and only mutants. In the Marvel Universe not so much imo. The Thing is less human than Cyclops yet he gets a free pass on racism because he received his power from cosmic radiation. Granted a very few non-mutants suffer from racism. It's nowhere as bad as mutants.

As I said it makes sense to target mutants in a world where they and them have powers. Yet in a world where a decent amount of people have superpowers. With no real well to tell the difference. Actually not true. Somehow due to bad writing anti-mutant bigots seem to have mutant radar and seem to be able to locate and target mutants. Were not talking about organization say like the Purifiers. I'm talking the average person can locate and attack mutants easily. We will see if the Inhumans suffer racism or if they are given a free pass by the writers. My guess is a free pass. As the writers have a bad habit of recycling the same tropes over and over imo.
    Sometimes. But I remember many instances, going back to the Claremont days, where people did NOT know they were interacting with mutants, but once they found out--however they did--they were filled with hate. The hatred of mutants is both illogical as all racism is, but also somewhat predictable in that mutants are said to be the next step in evolution. Sometimes mutants themselves publicly state they're the "next stage in evolution," which can't be helpful when it comes to promoting acceptance. Claremont used this dramatically in UNCANNY #199, when Magneto and Kitty are at a Holocaust Memorial meeting in Washington DC, and people who knew Max in the camps, and knew Kitty's grandmother, are friendly and happy to see them, until Mystique and Freedom Force invade and announce that Max is the "Magneto" and a mutant, and Kitty is one too. The victims of bigotry became overcome with fear and consequently hatred of mutants.

The humans of Marvel earth are usually portrayed as not being particularly able to tell the difference when a mutant looks like everyone else. Which is why some mutants just want to "pass" and be left alone to live their lives. Things like Decimation and the Terrigen Poison Gas cloud are particularly tragic because it forces mutants to segregate themselves, even when they don't want to. Thus increasing their vulnerability to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I wouldn't say that mutants as endangered species ruins the X-men. I'd be more inclined to say that extinction stories that are poorly handled tend to ruin the X-men. What makes the Terrigen Mist story so egregious is that so much of it happened off-panel and the Inhumans came out with absolutely no ill effects. If there was a war, then the X-men definitely lost and for some reason, there was no sympathy whatsoever for them. Combine that with Marvel's unspoken agenda for undermining anything for which they don't have the movie rights and it's perfectly understandable why these stories would be so bad.

With respect to villain, I think that's a similar issue. It really depends on how the story is handled. An extinction story can bring about new villains, but only if the story is strong. Right now, Marvel doesn't seem to be committed to strong X-men stories. They don't seem to be committed to the X-men in general, at least not until the issue with the movie rights is resolved. It took years for the M-Day plot to play out. I imagine this plot with the T-mists will be even longer or until the movie rights issues are settled, whichever comes first.
    Yeah, I agree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Doesn't seem to be what he's saying at all. He's just talking about mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Mutants are dying and everyone that survived the Terrigen Mists are sterile outright. No babies at all.
    My query was not a declaration... Moreover, assuming that mutantkind is now sterile due to the Terrigen Mist -- how does that prevent mutant babies from being born (at all) to baseline human couples if they are immune to the effects of the mist?

My query was not a declaration... Moreover, assuming that mutantkind is now sterile due to the Terrigen Mist -- how does that prevent mutant babies from being born (at all) to baseline human couples if they are immune to the effects of the mist?
    Like with M-day spell, the X-gene doesnt activate.