Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Retired

In terms of Penguin, many decades ago when I had dreams of writing and drawing Batman, I wanted Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot to be born in England. I feel that the early comics--with him quoting Shakespeare and Keats--are suggestive of this. My idea was to give him a family background similar to that of Alfred Hitchcock (who has a bird fascination in his movies). However, it wasn't Oswald who became the film director--it was his brother, Osgood. The two brothers were estranged and Osgood went on to have a career in Hollywood much like Hitch had.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My idea was to give him a family background similar to that of Alfred Hitchcock (who has a bird fascination in his movies). However, it wasn't Oswald who became the film director--it was his brother, Osgood. The two brothers were estranged and Osgood went on to have a career in Hollywood much like Hitch had.
    So, Osgood and Osbad?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In terms of Penguin, many decades ago when I had dreams of writing and drawing Batman, I wanted Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot to be born in England. I feel that the early comics--with him quoting Shakespeare and Keats--are suggestive of this. My idea was to give him a family background similar to that of Alfred Hitchcock (who has a bird fascination in his movies). However, it wasn't Oswald who became the film director--it was his brother, Osgood. The two brothers were estranged and Osgood went on to have a career in Hollywood much like Hitch had.
    You know, I never considered this, and, checking wikipedia, it seems that neither of Penguin's creators (in interviews) mentioned or even hinted at England, he's simply a high-society gentleman type, but perhaps England does make more sense than one might initially think. Though I'm sure high-society Americans quoted some Shakespeare and Keats (imagine people like the Vermont students in Dead Poets Society), Americans and the English have shared a lot of culture and education.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-02-2023 at 08:11 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

I've always thought there was a kind of similarity between Burgess Meredith and Rudy Valle, so I think of Lord Fogg as Penguin's British cousin, once removed, in The Batman '66 universe.

Ah, had a think today, about someone we've not seen in almost 20 years I think?

Sugar and Spice, the henchwomen from the movie.

Hmm... one fan-site I just read... makes an interesting observation.... Sugar and Spice presumably know Batman's secret identity.... and they escaped the destruction of Riddler's base. Two-face died, and riddler..... had his brain explode... or something, but Sugar and Spice didn't have either of those things happen.

So.... a pair of super villainesses who have some of Riddler's left over brain juice still in their heads, some of the money from that operation, and knowledge of who Batman really is? Hmm... sounds like a story seed.

Heck if someone wanted to do a movie... Drew Barrymore might be available.

Extraordinary Member

Eh, what the hell.

Sugar and Spice

These are aliases recorded by law enforcement officials regarding the two great loves of Harvey Dent/Two-Face, with the mystery being who they are, and how exactly they relate to Dent now; he’s been moving money with both of them, separately, and they’ve been clearly tied to his activities. All the officials have is some recorded but “bounced” calls between Harvey and Two-Face separately, that reveal the personalities are trying to hide these contacts from each other.

“Sugar” has a more openly flirty and “sweet” interaction with the Harvey side, while “Spice” has an antagonistic partnership with Two-Face with both threatening to reveal what the others been doing to Harvey.

Sugar is actually Janice Porter.

Spice? Gilda “Holiday” Dent.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I want to bring back ... THE MUSE.

He's an old Hostess ad villain, and I do not want to change a single thing about him, right down to keeping his 60s/70s (I'm not quite sure) era look. He's an older style rock musician that has discovered a way to turn other musicians directly into musical energy. That just sounds like the weird kinda stuff that writers like Morrison thrive on. Start off with a mystery of missing musicians and go from there.

And after his initial story, you can bring him back again for a team-up with Johnny Karaoke and The Music Meister.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Sugar and Spice, the henchwomen from the movie....

Heck if someone wanted to do a movie... Drew Barrymore might be available.
    Even at the time it was crazy to me that it was Drew Barrymore. So weird that this was just before she was catapulted back to prominence with Scream.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Even at the time it was crazy to me that it was Drew Barrymore. So weird that this was just before she was catapulted back to prominence with Scream.
    It's not a starring role, but... next best thing.

Bob

Bob is "the Legendary Goon."

The guy is practically treated like underworld royalty. He's one of the first henchmen the Joker ever had. Before Harley, before Gagsy, before Captain Clown, there was Bob.

Some people even say he knew Joker before he became the Joker. He certainly has plenty of stories to tell, although it's obvious they're not all true. Regardless he's worked with Joker longer than any other henchman anybody can track down and is still alive to talk about it. Bob is mostly retired these days, he spends most of his time in criminal run bars clubs where everything he wants is on the house. He's mostly retired now and doesn't do a lot of hench-work, but if somebody has an idea and needs a team, or has a team and needs an plan, he can put together a group faster than almost anyone.

Joker doesn't hang out with him or call him up much anymore, but he occasionally tracks him down while he's out clubbing and acts like Bob is his best friend in the whole world, mostly because it amuses Joker to do this.

Harley on the other hand mostly just remembers him as "that guy that smelled like booze and kept trying to grab my butt."

Terrible Trio: I had this idea a long time ago. Basically, the TT are lawyers for super villains. They're the guys hired by Penguin, Riddler, Ventriloquist and Scarface, Black Mask and even the Joker to help them get off their sentences. They have various lawyers who appear independent but are actually working for the same firm so nobody can actually trace them and even sympathetic villains like Two-Face and Ivy prefer to keep their anonymity because they might need them as allies.

But being lawyers isn't their only area of expertise they have other branches with their own expertise. Like one branch for inventions (which is where the Golden Age Terrible Trio are from), the occult (the TT from Dr Midnight special), investors (the TT from Brave and the Bold) and even recruit university students for their cause (which is how we incorporate the 'The Batman' and 'B:TAS' versions of those characters).

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly