Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Thoughts on Revival and Morning Glories

I'm looking to go back and try some series that I've missed in the past few years. Specifically looking at Revival and Morning Glories. What are the forum's thoughts on those books? They seem fairly well regarded on various websites, but just wanted an idea of the consensus here. Also, how about Chew?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Revival is artwise 10/10 for me. The artist should draw every book I'm currently reading. The story reminds me of Fargo (the show) mixed with Stephen King. That's another
    plus for me. I love Revival!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I'm looking to go back and try some series that I've missed in the past few years. Specifically looking at Revival and Morning Glories. What are the forum's thoughts on those books? They seem fairly well regarded on various websites, but just wanted an idea of the consensus here. Also, how about Chew?

Thanks for the thoughts!
    Revival is probably the longest single issue indie run I have ever done. I haven't read Morning Glories yet. I had read an earlier Tim Seeley indie so I was somewhat familiar with his name. Try Great Pacific and Snowfall by Harris and Morrazzo.

Revival is in my top 3. I think Seeley has done a great job of keeping things interesting the whole way through.

Chew is also very good.

Morning Glories is one of my favorite series. But its veeeery long form. Dont even bother with it if youre a "I want answers and I want them NOW!" kinda reader.

Revivals decent too.

Amazing Member

Morning Glories is hard to read in monthly format [or however long it takes for the singles to come out]. It demands rereading and there are clues thrown about everywhere. For example, things in #49 are sort of referenced way back in #10 and things like that. So reading it in TPB would probably be better but I think it's worth it. The answers are slow to come as the above poster said. Also, for some reason the art has taken a turn for the worse the past 10-20 issues. I'm not sure what happened.

Revival started out great but I feel like they just padded a story because it was selling well. Maybe I need to reread it but I feel like it's aimless. The art is top notch though.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Revival is in my top 3. I think Seeley has done a great job of keeping things interesting the whole way through.

Chew is also very good.
    Agree. Both are great books.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Revival is fantastic and the thing about it is the fact that the series is actually set in the place I live. As such, seeing all of the locations and how it really captures the air and feel of my home makes is extra special to me.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Revival is fantastic and the thing about it is the fact that the series is actually set in the place I live. As such, seeing all of the locations and how it really captures the air and feel of my home makes is extra special to me.
    You're from Wausau huh? That is awesome. How cool would it before Revival to get picked up for a television show and they actually filmed there?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    You're from Wausau huh? That is awesome. How cool would it before Revival to get picked up for a television show and they actually filmed there?
    They wouldn't film it here. They would film it up in Canada like every other show and movie.

I'll be the one negative Nancy and tell OP that Revival and Morning Glories are TERRIBLE.
    Morning Glories 50 is this week and will likely be my final issue.
    I read 35+ issues of Revival before dropping it in frustration. It is terribly paced and I don't like any of the characters. I know it is about to end but I don;t even care enough to see the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I'll be the one negative Nancy and tell OP that Revival and Morning Glories are TERRIBLE.
    Morning Glories 50 is this week and will likely be my final issue.
    I read 35+ issues of Revival before dropping it in frustration. It is terribly paced and I don't like any of the characters. I know it is about to end but I don;t even care enough to see the ending.
    What books are you enjoying Ragdoll? It is always good to get a base line for comparison Same goes for wwise03 what are you enjoying at the moment?

Morning Glories started great, but as others have said, the answers came slow. I went from singles to trade waiting. I'm probably done after issue 50. I bought that last trade months ago and still haven't read it. I'll probably to another reread after the next trade including issue 50 is released.

I still like Revival and consider it amongst my top 5 image books. I went from singles to trades after the creators jacked up the price by a dollar and gave some bullshit reason for doing so.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

I've read the first five trades of Revival. I've enjoyed it, but it started to feel like they were trying to pad and stretch the story out a bit too much. Once they complete the book I do plan on getting the rest of the trades and I'm excited to see how it wraps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    What books are you enjoying Ragdoll? It is always good to get a base line for comparison Same goes for wwise03 what are you enjoying at the moment?
    For Image: Saga, all Rick Remender books, Jonathan Hickman (not that he puts things out anymore).
    Another thing is that people advertise Morning Glories as something for LOST fans. I loved LOST with a huge nerdy passion and MG is not for me. MG is for people who wished LOST had the cast and subplots of Gossip Girl.