Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Frank Grillo Questions Crossbones' "Captain America: Civil War" Fate

The actor teases that we may see more of his heavily armored villain in upcoming Marvel movies.

Full article here.

I don't see how he could have survived, but I'd be happy to have more of Crossbones in the MCU .

It would be ridiculous, but I'd like to see him come back. Killing Crossbones so early is a waste of a good villain.

No body no death. I'm down to see Crossbones back.

BANNED

Whether or not Crossbones survived the blast remains to be seen, and it's not clear where he would pop up again if he did survive; Grillo has signed a multi-picture deal with Marvel Studios, but the "Captain America" franchise has seemingly come to an end.
    What evidence is there of that?

In terms of announcements, structuring of the stars' deals, etc., each of the "franchises" seem to be set up for three films (with other appearances in the Avengers films as well as cross-appearances in other films); consider the ongoing question of whether an "Iron Man 4" is economically feasible given the nature of RDJ's contract. While it's possible that we'll see another Captain America solo film (given the successes of the last two in both domestic and international box offices), it wouldn't be until after 2020 and the two Infinity War films (which, despite being broken in half, together effectively act as the Avengers' third film) and would likely require a restructuring of Evans' contract – of course, consider how RDJ had films like Civil War added on to his, but not films he's headlining as Iron Man. However, since the character of Captain America (like that of Thor) is one that could be affected by the actor aging too much (versus an Iron Man already introduced at middle age), I consider it unlikely that we'll see many more films (and likely not those with him as the centerpiece, versus broadening the universe for future 'phases').

In terms of Grillo and Crossbones, I can see why the comment was made, although I have to wonder how much it may have been a comics-to-film joke, especially given the options in his contract had they chose to keep the character around (Marvel contracts tend to have multiple films in them, since the studio wants to make certain from the start that the actor is available if the character is used again –*they knew Crossbones was returning post-Winter Soldier, but wouldn't have known how he would be used). As much as him constantly reappearing –*each time more scarred and armored, only to have ANOTHER building fall on him –*would be a fun gag, it seems unlike both from logistics (how many subplots can fit into not-Captain America films) and from the view of Scarlet Witch's character development (him surviving changes the dynamic of the Nigeria scene and the tragedy of her response attempt).

All-New Member

Wanda's power propelled him up, so maybe it also acted like a shield which kept him alive as well?

Plausible enough for comic book/movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Indestructible Man View Post
    In terms of announcements, structuring of the stars' deals, etc., each of the "franchises" seem to be set up for three films (with other appearances in the Avengers films as well as cross-appearances in other films); consider the ongoing question of whether an "Iron Man 4" is economically feasible given the nature of RDJ's contract. While it's possible that we'll see another Captain America solo film (given the successes of the last two in both domestic and international box offices), it wouldn't be until after 2020 and the two Infinity War films (which, despite being broken in half, together effectively act as the Avengers' third film) and would likely require a restructuring of Evans' contract – of course, consider how RDJ had films like Civil War added on to his, but not films he's headlining as Iron Man. However, since the character of Captain America (like that of Thor) is one that could be affected by the actor aging too much (versus an Iron Man already introduced at middle age), I consider it unlikely that we'll see many more films (and likely not those with him as the centerpiece, versus broadening the universe for future 'phases').
    None of which in any way supports the supposition that the Captain America franchise has already come to an end, as the article suggests.

Given the success of the last two, I can't see them walking away from the franchise, especially since Chris Evans has said he's in for whatever Marvel wants to do. Seems like there's spot open in 2019 if "Inhumans" stays dead (fingers crossed)

Ultimate Member

If Phil is still 'dead', I don't see Rumlow making it out alive. Especially when in the grand scheme of things, Crossbones is a thug and not a foil. Yeah, he killed Cap in the comics, but he was just a bullet in a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by drewmoore View Post
    Wanda's power propelled him up, so maybe it also acted like a shield which kept him alive as well?
    Judging by his scream, that's a firm no. I would imagine he was blown into unrecognizable, meaty chunks. Wanda simply kept the blast in an encapsulated state for a moment.

Personally, I felt that Crossbones' death was a waste of a character. He could have appeared down the line in a Masters of Evil, or even possibly a Thunderbolts film.
    Last edited by ComiCop; 07-04-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Spectacular Member

Almost positive he's gonna be brought back as part of Thanos' black order as Cap's opponent.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComiCop View Post
    Personally, I felt that Crossbones' death was a waste of a character. He could have appeared down the line in a Masters of Evil, or even possibly a Thunderbolts film.
    Agreed. Marvel only has a small handful of problems but killing off baddies is one of them. Especially those with limited screentime like Strucker. At least Batroc, Zemo, and Hammer are still out there amongst others.

Fantastic Member

maybe something happens that makes wanda's magic lose control and accidentally undoes the crossbones exploding. anyway im more curious with red skull's fate. it wasnt clear that he was obliterated or something.. it looked more like he was beamed to another realm. i know hugo weaving doesnt want to return, but given that the face is all prosthetic anyway they can easily replace the actor (something they've done like twice i think)