Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Outcast, #1

Robert Kirkman's creepy new series "Outcast" has a ton of potential largely thanks to gorgeous visuals by Paul Azaceto and Elizabeth Breitweiser that find the perfect blend of humanity and horror.

Full review here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Robert Kirkman's creepy new series "Outcast" has a ton of potential largely thanks to gorgeous visuals by Paul Azaceto and Elizabeth Breitweiser that find the perfect blend of humanity and horror.

Full review here.
    Completely agree with your opinion on the art of this book. Paul Azacetas art and pacing of his pages are fantastic and Elizabeth's colors are just aces over his art and compliment it so well. I picked this up without planning on it and I'm glad I did. The story does sort of go into that typical demonic, or whatever they are, possession story but the development towards the end of the story definitely piqued my interest and I'm excited to see where Kirkman goes with it.

You can't go wrong with that $2.99 price either. Twice the entertainment for less than what you get out a typical $3.99 book by some other publishers.

Spectacular Member FN Spider-Man's Avatar

I think the thing that ultimately sold me on this book was Kirkman's letter at the end where he made it clear that this wasn't going to be a religious debate book. Just a storytelling one.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Spider-Man View Post
    I think the thing that ultimately sold me on this book was Kirkman's letter at the end where he made it clear that this wasn't going to be a religious debate book. Just a storytelling one.
    I'm really glad you mentioned this because I was worried it would turn into that. I will definitely grab the trade now when it comes out.

All-New Member

It seems as though Robert Kirkman has ascended a level with his writing technique. The dialogue was MUCH more realistic and much less stilted and long-winded than usual for him.

Horror is my favorite genre, but I've never been able to feel very creeped out by horror comics. Unlike movies, they lack movement and sound, which are big parts of what helps the scares in movies. A comic really has to rely on the visuals and I haven't found very many (if any) comics that can scare me. Paul Azaceta has now set a personal record for me. He's the first comic artist to have scared me. Job well done. I'm hooked.

numberONE

Completly agree with the review.
    The "pilot" is very interesting: I hadn't doubts about Kirkman's ability, but Azaceta's arts and Breitweiser's colors are the strenghts of this comic book. I am very curious to read the next issue.

A friend of mine twisted my arm till I bought a copy... Extremely pleased I did, read brilliantly and was a great bonus having a huge page count that was all relevant story.