Spectacular Member ComicBookNoob's Avatar

Default Omnibus? And a few other collectors questions

So I'm relatively new to comic book collecting. I've been reading and collecting on and off for the past 5 years, mainly by myself with no one really guiding me. That being said I do own over 700 comic books and a couple of TPB. I just had a few questions and figured I'd ask here for help.

1) What exactly are ominbus? I figured they are just collections of older stories or something but didn't know if it was more than that.

2) I have read a few of Frank Miller's TPB for Daredevil and want to read more, but what is the difference between the Vissionaires TPB and the regular big Frank Miller's Daredevil TPB?

3) For variant covers when do you know it'll be worth buying?

I'll probably come up wit more later but if you guys could help me with these questions it'd be a big help to me. I know you guys probably have a lot of opinions on number 3, so I'd love to hear them all. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookNoob View Post
    So I'm relatively new to comic book collecting. I've been reading and collecting on and off for the past 5 years, mainly by myself with no one really guiding me. That being said I do own over 700 comic books and a couple of TPB. I just had a few questions and figured I'd ask here for help.

1) What exactly are ominbus? I figured they are just collections of older stories or something but didn't know if it was more than that.

2) I have read a few of Frank Miller's TPB for Daredevil and want to read more, but what is the difference between the Vissionaires TPB and the regular big Frank Miller's Daredevil TPB?

I'll probably come up wit more later but if you guys could help me with these questions it'd be a big help to me. I know you guys probably have a lot of opinions on number 3, so I'd love to hear them all. Thanks
    Welcome to the board CBN.

As for your questions:

1) The omnibus format used by Marvel is DC is the oversized hardcover format that usually contains an entire run or a very significant portion of one. The books within can be collections of older issues of on going series such as Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, The Amazing Spiderman and Dr Strange or they could be recent comics like Young Avengers, Hawkeye and Ms Marvel. They are usually full colour (unless the original work was in b&w) and have decent paper stock and build though this has been on a bit of a downward curve.

Some books have been reprinted but most don't so when they sell out they can really skyrocket in price.

With DC it does seem like it is mostly older material but then there is the recent Gotham Central omnibus that contains the entire run.

2) no idea on this I'm afraid.

3) If they look good buy it. There is no other reason to do so. Buying them as an investment or to speculate is a risk.

1. They are big and (usually) thick. They also look great as part of a collection if you're into that aspect of the hobby. XD

2. Probably size, and the fat tpbs are newer

3. I'm not into variant covers myself, if you like it buy it. If you mean about speculating the future value, then you will probably need a crystal ball. I would just go with the variants with the hottest creators

Thanks guys very helpful, one more question for anybody to answer.

4) How big of a deal are the collectors cards?

Thanks guys very helpful, one more question for anybody to answer.

4) How big of a deal are the collectors cards?
    I haven't heard much buzz about them since the 90s. Game systems like VS seem to be the trend over collector packs.

Omnibus is a marketing term, mainly to justify the higher cost for the hardcover. In publishing, an omnibus edition was usually a collection of several works, like 3 John Le Carre novels or a collection of The Saint stories. For DC and Marvel, their hardcovers used to be Masterworks and Archive Editions, just like their tabloid comics were Treasury and Limited Collector Editions. Now, they are using Omnibus in place of Masterwork or Archive.

I haven't seen the newer Miller reprints; but, I suspect the content is pretty much the same. They usually use the sam sources when they reprint; often even the same forwards and endnotes, if any.

Variant covers are totally subjective. Value is always in the eye of the beholder. I never saw the point in buying another copy of the same comic, because of a different cover. I always chose whichever cover I liked best (in the rare case where I was reading something that offered a variant).

The card market fell apart in the 90s. Again, value is in the eye of the beholder. Scarcity and demand always fuel collector value; but, unless you can find a buyer that is willing to pay what you are willing to accept, they have no real value.

In the end, only you can set the value on something for your entertainment and pleasure. The guides may say it it the most valuable comic out there; but, if you don't care to read it or own it, it has no value. In my collecting days, I bought comics I wanted to read, and paid only prices I thought were fair. I refused to pay X-Men collector prices, even though I wanted to read the stories. Marvel soon obliged with Classic X-Men and I was able to read (or re-read, in a few cases) those stories, for a heck of a lot less. Why pay premium prices for Ditko Spider-Man issues, if you can read the same story in a more affordable Marvel Tales? Some folks have to have the original, which is fine; I just wanted the story.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

When buying variant covers for investment purposes, I recommend purchasing the one that will be worth the most money at the time you want to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Omnibus is a marketing term, mainly to justify the higher cost for the hardcover. In publishing, an omnibus edition was usually a collection of several works, like 3 John Le Carre novels or a collection of The Saint stories. For DC and Marvel, their hardcovers used to be Masterworks and Archive Editions, just like their tabloid comics were Treasury and Limited Collector Editions. Now, they are using Omnibus in place of Masterwork or Archive.

I haven't seen the newer Miller reprints; but, I suspect the content is pretty much the same. They usually use the sam sources when they reprint; often even the same forwards and endnotes, if any.

Variant covers are totally subjective. Value is always in the eye of the beholder. I never saw the point in buying another copy of the same comic, because of a different cover. I always chose whichever cover I liked best (in the rare case where I was reading something that offered a variant).

The card market fell apart in the 90s. Again, value is in the eye of the beholder. Scarcity and demand always fuel collector value; but, unless you can find a buyer that is willing to pay what you are willing to accept, they have no real value.

In the end, only you can set the value on something for your entertainment and pleasure. The guides may say it it the most valuable comic out there; but, if you don't care to read it or own it, it has no value. In my collecting days, I bought comics I wanted to read, and paid only prices I thought were fair. I refused to pay X-Men collector prices, even though I wanted to read the stories. Marvel soon obliged with Classic X-Men and I was able to read (or re-read, in a few cases) those stories, for a heck of a lot less. Why pay premium prices for Ditko Spider-Man issues, if you can read the same story in a more affordable Marvel Tales? Some folks have to have the original, which is fine; I just wanted the story.
    Not exactly true. While DC stopped with the archives they are basically grouping them into omnibuses. MArvel is still publishing Masterworks, even reprinting certain volume ones and their omnibuses usually collect 2-3 masterworks volumes. So basically what you said about the Le Carre novels.
    And the omnibus line doesn't replace the archives DC and Marvel is doing different formats like the Epic line.
    In case of newer material the omnibuses collect the paperbacks or premier hardcovers.
    Also since they are bigger and in a lot of the cases the price/issue ratio is lower than the single issue or trade price/issue ratio the Omnibus name doesn't just mean a justification for higher prices.
    Agree with the rest though about collecting.

Essentially, they are quite large collections of a run of comics. They are decent size larger than standard hardcovers and are a great way to appreciate the art of a comic. I doubt you'll be reading of these on your lap, so keep in mind that your reading experience is going to be limited. Personally, I read my copies on a desk.

People mention the cost but they aren't that expensive for what you get. In many cases, you are getting 30 issues and you can pick up new copies for $40-70 on instock. The quality is generally higher than the individual collected volumes.

As far as variants, buy whatever you think looks better. Some of the variants are horrible in my opinion and others look great. Yes, many variants are going to be worth more in the long run and already generally are. Even if an omnibus gets a reprint, the variant will not. Your variant copy will retain its value and go up overtime. I only own the variant for Infinity Gauntlet right now. I personally will not go out of my way for a variant. If it's an awesome looking variant, maybe I'll pay $10-30 more. Anything more than that is hard to justify for the same product.

If an omnibus is available, I buy it over individual volumes. It's great to have a huge run of comics in one book. Larger pages let you appreciate the art even more!

ComicBookNoob - I just started collecting Omnibus's this summer at the ripe old age of 45! I've always collected TPB's of everything I like (and still do, but now slowed down). I've switched to Omnibus buying this past couple months and I LOVE THEM! Yes, they are big and heavy, but they are awesome to read and look at, being oversized! The paper is nice and thick, compared to standard TPB's, and you will suddenly want all your really good stuff to be collected in that format.
    I DO read mine on my lap. I'm short and small at 5'2", but I have a lap desk from many years ago that is strong and sturdy and I put the book on it and then on my lap and tilted. I generally read just one story each at a setting but pull 2 or 3 omnibus's to read. I have several now, so I mix up what I'm going to read for that particular setting.

Now go buy one, and check it out now!
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    ComicBookNoob - I just started collecting Omnibus's this summer at the ripe old age of 45! I've always collected TPB's of everything I like (and still do, but now slowed down). I've switched to Omnibus buying this past couple months and I LOVE THEM! Yes, they are big and heavy, but they are awesome to read and look at, being oversized! The paper is nice and thick, compared to standard TPB's, and you will suddenly want all your really good stuff to be collected in that format.
    I DO read mine on my lap. I'm short and small at 5'2", but I have a lap desk from many years ago that is strong and sturdy and I put the book on it and then on my lap and tilted. I generally read just one story each at a setting but pull 2 or 3 omnibus's to read. I have several now, so I mix up what I'm going to read for that particular setting.

Now go buy one, and check it out now!
    Hahaha ok thanks, I am looking at a couple just waiting on the next paycheck or one for a great price. Probably going to get Frank Miller's Daredevil run or a Batman Omnibus
    Check out my blog: http://comicbuffet.blogspot.com/

Favorite DC Heroes: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, The Ray
    Favorite Marvel Heroes: Daredevil, Spider-man, X-23, Iron Man, Iron Heart
    Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

Incredible Member

What others have said, they're usually big hefty books that contain larger comic runs, whether it's golden, bronze or modern age, and they're pretty convenient if you can't afford the original issues.

In the early 2000's I believe Marvel released three Tpb's of Miller's run of just Daredevil's title from #154-191 and so on, then around 2009 these three volumes were released again but now with extra content and side stories by Miller maybe someone can correct me on this.

If it's drawn by an artist you like then go for it but personally for me I stay away from variant junk and I don't miss out if I don't have it anyways.