Default Who Could/Should Be Able To Hurt, Kill and/or Outwit The Olympians?

Of the beings in the DCU, who do you think should be able to hurt, kill and/or outsmart the Olympian gods?

Hurt: Kryptonians, Martians, Shazam family, magic users, other gods, Amazons depending on power levels

Kill: Other gods, humans with futuristic tech, Amazons depending on power levels

Outsmart: Other gods, other immortals depending on how smart they are, John Constantine.

Your thoughts?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't think any non-god should be able hurt a god unless they have a god-created weapon in their hands. It just doesn't seem very impressive to me if gods can be hurt by non-deities. I could see some exceptions being made for high-level mystical beings like the original Dr. Fate and Spectre but when Martian Manhunter is able to hurt a god, that makes the god look very ungodly.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member

An interesting question. While they certainly were powerful, the Greek gods were never omnipotent, so they certainly were not invulnerable entirely. I would certainly not be adverse to them being outsmarted, or even beaten to some degree, as that happened in the myths themselves, sometimes by mortals themselves. Of course, you don't want them to look too weak, but having someone on the level of Superman, or Martian Manhunter being able to challenge them certainly seems plausible. I would, I think, make the Olympians only be able to be killed by other gods or with god-forged equipment however.

Even in myths, the gods could be tricked/endangered.

Imma say Hurt: Red Son Aliens, Amazons, Atlantiens, Speedsters, heavy magic users.

Kill: Old gods, new gods, beings using new god tech (like a mothebox). Beings with godly weapons.

Outsmart: Very old entities.

Mighty Member

I think the gods are better served as behind the scene players and omni powerful beings so honestly no one should be able to truly hurt them

Spectacular Member

Except that's not really how the Greek Gods did things for the most part. They were not omni powerful, and they loved to get directly involved in stuff. There are some times where they simply "helped" mortals, but it usually seemed to be for their amusement mostly than not being able to, or because the other gods, or more likely Zeus, told them not to.

Obviously, for the Wonder Woman comic the writer is free to change that, but they honestly would feel less like the Olympians of myth and more of what we today view as godhood, in the sense of a omnipotent but generally non interfering being.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    Except that's not really how the Greek Gods did things for the most part. They were not omni powerful, and they loved to get directly involved in stuff. There are some times where they simply "helped" mortals, but it usually seemed to be for their amusement mostly than not being able to, or because the other gods, or more likely Zeus, told them not to.

Obviously, for the Wonder Woman comic the writer is free to change that, but they honestly would feel less like the Olympians of myth and more of what we today view as godhood, in the sense of a omnipotent but generally non interfering being.
    Idrc I think ww writers spend too much time indulging greek myth anyway and it always hurts the book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Of the beings in the DCU, who do you think should be able to hurt, kill and/or outsmart the Olympian gods?

Hurt: Shazam family, magic users*, other gods, Amazons**

Kill: Other gods

Outsmart: Other gods, other immortals depending on how smart they are, John Constantine***.

Your thoughts?
    Removed those I dont think should be able to do anything, changes:

*: Only those of sufficient power
    **: Depends on what gear they are carrying since their individual power should be nothing in comparison
    ***: Change to 'everyone', because this is how you as a mortal is supposed to be able to get the upper hand on an entity to whom you are nothing but an insignificant insect.

Only other Gods can 'kill'/'hurt' Olympians outside of the use of particular implements of divine origin. I think the Olympians can be impressed by mortal efforts. Those non-divinities with strength at Hercules level or above have the best chances. That is a very short list.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 07-06-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Only other Gods can 'kill'/'hurt' Olympians outside of the use of particular implements of divine origin. I think the Olympians can be impressed by mortal efforts. Those non-divinities with strength at Hercules level or above have the best chances. That is a very short list.
    basically this and even they shouldnt really be able to hurt them. i think the same should go for the new gods and other powerful aliens

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Your thoughts?

Hurt the Olympians: any of the planet-splitters (Supes, WW, MM, Shazam, Captain Atom, Darkseid, etc) or top-level mages (Dr. Fate, Zatanna, etc) or mere mortals armed with extremely rare divine instruments

Kill the Olympians: total disbelief (true gods require believers, else they have no power and cease to matter/exist) or cosmic characters who naturally and completely outclass them (Spectre, Anti-Monitor, Mandrakk, etc)

Outsmart the Olympians: anyone who can consistently think 3 or 4 steps ahead (as the Olympians were never close to omniscient and always embued with all-too-human foibles)