Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel's Teen Heroes Unite In New "Champions" Series From Waid, Ramos

Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Nova and more resurrect the classic Champions name in a new ongoing from Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos.

Full article here.

Should pick a different name, the Champions name is considered a joke in-universe

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Should pick a different name, the Champions name is considered a joke in-universe
    I'm thinking the name being a bit of a joke is completely intentional. It's better than the All-New, All-Different Young Avengers or some-such silliness.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Just wondering but ... Are there no more characters to be part of a team like that? Why always the same ones and forget other good teen characters across the whole Marvel Universe?

People like The Initiative, Avengers Academy, A lot of teen mutant characters, Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover and more ....
    Last edited by Charlie_1981; 07-05-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Spectacular Member

This is a cool surprise!

Will be interesting to see what happens to the Avengers teams now...
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

This is good news to all the people asking for a teen heroes book. I'm happy for them, and happy to see Waid is writing it. I just hope he will remain a writer for an Avengers book featuring adult heroes as well, because Waid is just a great writer. I don't personally have any plans to pick this up, as teen heroes aren't my cup of tea, but if this means we get a more "grown-up" Avengers team, I'll be happy

Hm, nice. But I'm sure that there's more characters who could be on that, and that no one would mind any of them instead of Vision's daughter

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindTricked View Post
    I'm thinking the name being a bit of a joke is completely intentional. It's better than the All-New, All-Different Young Avengers or some-such silliness.
    I was thinking All-"New", All-Different NEW WARRIORS myself.....but it appears that the Champions might be a better choice.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    This is good news to all the people asking for a teen heroes book. I'm happy for them, and happy to see Waid is writing it. I just hope he will remain a writer for an Avengers book featuring adult heroes as well, because Waid is just a great writer. I don't personally have any plans to pick this up, as teen heroes aren't my cup of tea, but if this means we get a more "grown-up" Avengers team, I'll be happy
    Good news? Not really, seriously, why Ramos as the artist when there are better artists?

Love the lineup. Also love the creative team. Nice to see that Vision's daughter won't be quickly forgotten after King's run ends.

Dang I'm gonna miss the ANAD Avengers! And Mahmud Asrar drawing these young characters. (Not a huge fan of Ramos usually, but he and Waid do have history with superteens, right? Impulse?)

This sounds awesome! I'm glad to see that Kamala, Miles, and Sam will still be written by Mark Waid, I loved their interactions and I felt he did a pretty good job with them as Avengers and it will be cool to see them strike out on their own.

I'm a big fan of the Totally Awesome Hulk so I'm down with him joining those three, same goes for 05 Cyclops. Although he seems to have a habit of leaving the X-men a lot lately.

As for Viv I haven't read Vision so I have no idea what I'm heading into with her character, but I'm interested to see how Miles, Kamala, and Sam interact with her given their history with her father on the ANAD Avengers.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm okay with Ramos art, but I hope that means he'll be out of EXM, mostly because I hate how he draws the costumes. Some redesigns would be appreciated, or just the same being done better really.

Maximum Hype levels. With this and USAvengers, Marvel NOW may not be as big a bust as I feared. Seriously, I LOVE this lineup.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Extraordinary Member

Well, I'm just happy about this team idea. In All-New, All-Different Avengers it seemed to me that the kids were by far the best part of the book and the adult heroes were holding them back. So this is like getting the best part of that comic without the weaker elements.

And yes, as Brevoort says, even a silly name like "Champions" is better for this team than calling them ____ Avengers.