Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    Well of course greed is bad. But there seems to be a growing group of people who believe that successful companies are all evil empires that don't have a productive place in our economy. For example the large oil companies....everyone loves to demonize them because they make so much money. The thing is they do employ a crap ton of people and the more money they make the more people they employ. I know this because I'm in the oil, gas and petrochemical engineering business. I make good money but I'm not wealthy. Thing is there are tons of people who depend on these companies....everyone from the people in reproduction making copies to the people answering phones to the guys working in the plants and refineries to the guy who delivers paper and office supplies to the companies and the list goes on. Sure some of these big wigs make a ridiculous amount of money that really no one person needs. So when I see people say things about the evil big companies yet I see first hand all the people they support.....I don't know, just doesn't seem right. I have seen so many people lose their jobs when the oil companies starting hurting like they are now. And people think yea hit the oil companies super hard with taxes....yea that's a terrible idea because the harder you hit them with taxes and regulations the less people they employ. That's said, you specifically said the fat cats and to some degree i would agree with you but I don't care for demonizing people for being successful. Besides I don't know how much these fat cats donate so I try not to judge them.

Also people tend to forget the massive amount of money they spend on expansion and upkeep.....it's a crap ton.

Typing on my tablet so sorry if my spelling is all off.
    I work in education. In PA where there's been a gas boom for a while. The thing is and I think you kinda touch on it is some people benefit a little, some a lot and others not at all, but everyone is harmed by environmental and infrastructure damage. Land made useless, roads ruined, etc. During most of the years of the recent "gas boom" in education every year there has been cuts but the oil / gas industry is hardly taxed. The problem isn't that the taxes and regulations demand they employ less people... but they would make less money and really, they should. This is the crux of the biggest economic problems we face. The when the big guys need to take a hit they use the working folks as their ropes in their financial rope-a-dope, letting furloughs take the hit. This isn't demonetization, this is reality. They could still be rich, they'd just be less rich The people who work in the field earn their cash, it's often dangerous and arguably very necessary work but the guys in charge profit off of everyone else and the extent to which they do makes them pretty good bad guy foder.

Once again, it's worth noting that some of Olies best friends hold vastly different view-points and Olie is notably not always right but he is very passionate and his heart is in the right place.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    If you aren't on board with his liberal sensibilities, then he won't appeal to you.
    I dunno if this is entirely true. I enjoy many superheroes I wouldn't agree with politically.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Even in rebirth, for now I see a Great Aquaman..

About Green Arrow.. It is a comic that I only see a few times..

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I like Green Arrow best as a leftist champion of the poor; it's not at all what defines his character and personality, but it's a big part of his history and legacy.

But the way Percy writes it, there's no subtlety or depth. The dialogue beats you over the head, there is no congruence with the story, and the term social justice warrior shouldn't be used, since that term is used to describe a certain type of liberal that cares more about proper labels and respecting identities rather than meaningful structural change, and he's not about that. Hell, he's as rude, abrasive, and offensive as it comes within his personality. I might give it one more shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I work in education. In PA where there's been a gas boom for a while. The thing is and I think you kinda touch on it is some people benefit a little, some a lot and others not at all, but everyone is harmed by environmental and infrastructure damage. Land made useless, roads ruined, etc. During most of the years of the recent "gas boom" in education every year there has been cuts but the oil / gas industry is hardly taxed. The problem isn't that the taxes and regulations demand they employ less people... but they would make less money and really, they should. This is the crux of the biggest economic problems we face. The when the big guys need to take a hit they use the working folks as their ropes in their financial rope-a-dope, letting furloughs take the hit. This isn't demonetization, this is reality. They could still be rich, they'd just be less rich The people who work in the field earn their cash, it's often dangerous and arguably very necessary work but the guys in charge profit off of everyone else and the extent to which they do makes them pretty good bad guy foder.

Once again, it's worth noting that some of Olies best friends hold vastly different view-points and Olie is notably not always right but he is very passionate and his heart is in the right place.
    There will always be big cats, it's the way of the world. I was just using oil as an example so I environmental issues wasn't really part of where I was going. I'm talking about any large company really...I just know how my business is connected. Every election year these chemical, oil and gas companies scale way back on new work. They do this because they are waiting to see how hard they will be hit with new regulations and taxes. So years like this one are always tough and especially this year because of the price of oil.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

There will always be big cats, it's the way of the world. I was just using oil as an example so I environmental issues wasn't really part of where I was going. I'm talking about any large company really...I just know how my business is connected. Every election year these chemical, oil and gas companies scale way back on new work. They do this because they are waiting to see how hard they will be hit with new regulations and taxes. So years like this one are always tough and especially this year because of the price of oil.
    That's the problem with having people's necessities depend on the profit interest of a few. The interests often conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Most of the Rebirth one shot specials were duds, but many of the actual #1's were AWESOME!!! Aquaman had arguably the best first issue, IMO. Give the actual series a chance and don't judge it based solely on the dull Rebirth one-shot. You might actually like it.
    I read the Special and actual #1 (first issue of the series). I buy a lot of books. Something has to give and it hasn't pulled me in like others have so far with the same limited sampling/starter issues.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

BANNED

I have really enjoyed the rebirth Titans, Superman, Batman and Wonder-woman a lot. Aquman, Green Arrow and Green lanterns were all....mehh. Still on the fence on with Aquaman and Green Arrow....I may continue buying them still. At least until I decide that I just can't stomach it anymore. Green Lantern I thought was decent but I have not read the latest issue yet. I have liked most the rebirth books this far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That's the problem with having people's necessities depend on the profit interest of a few. The interests often conflict.
    And then there's the added dimension that if the company is publicly traded, then there are people whose 401K type retirement is tied up in the success of the company. So cutting pay to workers at the company might raise profits, which enables dividends to be paid to the stockholders, who are 'regular people' just like the employees of the company itself.

It's all a bit messed up.

The story is good I just don't like the art work

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    Tried the Rebirth Aquaman Special and #1. I'm going to pass on continuing with the series. Nothing really wrong it just didn't interest me. My favorite version of Arthur was under Waid and Morrison.

Green Arrow is good except for the dialogue. That has me on the fence with it, but I'm onboard at least through the first arc. Hopefully it gets better.
    This was the PAD Aquaman right? With the grey armour and the hook?

Could it be that I’m just not familiar enough with them or maybe they just are not my cup of tea….I don’t know.
    It sounds like both. In a nutshell, Aquaman is King Arthur and Green Arrow is Robin Hood. If that's not your thing. I can see why nothing is catching. To me, Aquaman is like a game of thrones in the sea. And Green Arrow is an egotistical lefty. In contrast Hawkman has conservative values. If Hawkman were written with liberal views, he would feel out of place. Just like if the GA were written with conservative values. The two often butt heads over their differences of opinion. Its not a matter of what is right or wrong its about who these people are at their core.

I am against fascism. But that doesn't mean I don't like a good story with Sinestro or Thanagarians who are known for their totalitarian ways. You dont have to agree with the character to enjoy the story.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I really just started getting into DC recently and have really been enjoying the older stuff as well as the rebirth stuff…even if the rebirth stuff can be hard to follow if you don’t know the history.

As a kid I always like Aquaman in the cartoons and I don’t care about this stigma he’s gained with people thinking he talks to fish or whatever. That said, he’s just not really very likable imo. In the comic he looks like a 20 year old surfer kid and I just can’t take him seriously. I bought both rebirth comics and I’ll probably buy a couple more and hope that he grows on me but this far he just seems….blah.

And the green arrow…I have not been able to nail it down exactly but man I just do not like him. The little gut punch at conservatives kind of bugged me but even other than that he just seems like an a-hole to me for some reason. Like aquaman I’ll buy a few more issues and see where it goes and if he grows on me but so far these two are pretty…boring.

Just me? Could it be that I’m just not familiar enough with them or maybe they just are not my cup of tea….I don’t know.
    I felt like you during Ollie's New 52 run. As for Rebirth, the tea is simply equisite. Two lumps, please.

Incredible Member

The way green arrows political views are expressed is laughable at best. Its like a 7 years old kid trying to act and talk like an adult without realizing he does not have the intelligence to do both. So but true story.

I'd like to see Green Arrow take down Martin Shkreli ( he's a real super villain).