Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I just don’t find Aquaman or Green Arrow likable at all in the rebirth comics.

I really just started getting into DC recently and have really been enjoying the older stuff as well as the rebirth stuff…even if the rebirth stuff can be hard to follow if you don’t know the history.

As a kid I always like Aquaman in the cartoons and I don’t care about this stigma he’s gained with people thinking he talks to fish or whatever. That said, he’s just not really very likable imo. In the comic he looks like a 20 year old surfer kid and I just can’t take him seriously. I bought both rebirth comics and I’ll probably buy a couple more and hope that he grows on me but this far he just seems….blah.

And the green arrow…I have not been able to nail it down exactly but man I just do not like him. The little gut punch at conservatives kind of bugged me but even other than that he just seems like an a-hole to me for some reason. Like aquaman I’ll buy a few more issues and see where it goes and if he grows on me but so far these two are pretty…boring.

Just me? Could it be that I’m just not familiar enough with them or maybe they just are not my cup of tea….I don’t know.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Personally I have really enjoyed the Aquaman Rebirth series so far, but hey, to each their own.

As for Green Arrow, its not perfect, the dialogue is abit clunky in places, but the overall narrative is interesting enough IMO.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I've enjoyed both a ton personally.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Always Rakzo

Aquaman is easily one of the most enjoyable Rebirth books. Nothing particularly impressive in terms of ideas but still quite on-point in terms of direction, characterization and overall execution.

Green Arrow though, I can understand why people don't find him likable, I wouldn't like any guy who speaks as irrationally as him (Seriously, Percy's dialogue is atrocious).

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Green Arrow is better than it was before Rebirth certainly but I still don't enjoy it enough to put it on my pull list. Percy's dialogue is just badly done IMHO and it makes the book nearly unreadable to me.

Aquaman on the other hand was pretty good, at least good enough in my estimation to continue to pull it. I think it's a pretty solid book all around.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

All-New Member

I found Aquaman to be quite delightful. I like the fact that Black Manta is the first main villain for him in rebirth, seeing as how he is just a bad-a in his New 52 Aquaman arc. Green Arrow is decent and I do enjoy Black Canary in it (mainly because she just sees Ollie as a sidechick and I find that hilarious). I probably won't stick with the Green Arrow book though.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    I really just started getting into DC recently and have really been enjoying the older stuff as well as the rebirth stuff…even if the rebirth stuff can be hard to follow if you don’t know the history.

As a kid I always like Aquaman in the cartoons and I don’t care about this stigma he’s gained with people thinking he talks to fish or whatever. That said, he’s just not really very likable imo. In the comic he looks like a 20 year old surfer kid and I just can’t take him seriously. I bought both rebirth comics and I’ll probably buy a couple more and hope that he grows on me but this far he just seems….blah.

And the green arrow…I have not been ablI'm e to nail it down exactly but man I just do not like him. The little gut punch at conservatives kind of bugged me but even other than that he just seems like an a-hole to me for some reason. Like aquaman I’ll buy a few more issues and see where it goes and if he grows on me but so far these two are pretty…boring.

Just me? Could it be that I’m just not familiar enough with them or maybe they just are not my cup of tea….I don’t know.
    I'm digging both of these books at this time. I think Green Arrow is probably, in some ways better than it's been in years. Jeff's run was good in its own way but I think they were still missing the mark with Ollie. As for his politics... and personality.. they kinda fit together. I guess it should be noted that some of his best friends have very different political opinions than him and also he's not always in the right especially when it comes to his personal life... That said, he cares a lot about the little guy, think modern day American Robin Hood.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I don't see how Aquaman is very unlikable in his comic. I don't see what you are talking about. Maybe a direct example would help us see your point of view.

Green Arrow has always been a Social Justice Warrior, even before that term existed. If you aren't on board with his liberal sensibilities, then he won't appeal to you.

BANNED

Green Arrow is often written with a bit of smugness, he's meant to be a bit of an abrasive character. I find it entertaining when it's done right but I get why some people can't stand him.

And Aquaman, are we even reading the same series?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

AQUAMAN hasn't been great since Parker left but it's still really fun and entertaining.

Niffleheim

I was lukewarm on Aquaman until Black Manta showed up to exact his revenge. Now i'm anticipating every single panel

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I don't see how Aquaman is very unlikable in his comic. I don't see what you are talking about. Maybe a direct example would help us see your point of view.

Green Arrow has always been a Social Justice Warrior, even before that term existed. If you aren't on board with his liberal sensibilities, then he won't appeal to you.
    In regards to Green Arrow, This. 100% This.

With Aquaman, we haven't really seen much from Arthur's perspective yet. The Rebirth issue was told from Black Manta's POV. The first issue of the ongoing series focused more on Mera, and by the time Aquaman came into focus, he was engaged in a fight with Manta.

Ben Percy tends to inject his stories with a lot of loaded political buzzwords, without really having the substance to back it up. His Green Arrow comes across as someone who's championing social justice but is more interested in fighting a war against those who oppose him rather than helping those who need help.

Always Rakzo

About the whole "Green Arrow has always been a Social Justice Warrior" thing, no, he hasn't, unless you're purposely ignoring his first 30 or so years of existence that mostly portrayed him as an adventurer.

Even in subsequent stories following the 70's reinvention they didn't focus so much on his liberal persona as much as who he was as a CHARACTER. Joey Cavalieri, Mike W. Barr, Mike Grell, Kevin Smith, Brad Meltzer and Judd Winick were mostly concentrated on how he worked as an actual person and how he related to the people around him.

Which is what actually gave the character some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Ben Percy tends to inject his stories with a lot of loaded political buzzwords, without really having the substance to back it up. His Green Arrow comes across as someone who's championing social justice but is more interested in fighting a war against those who oppose him rather than helping those who need help.
    To be fair though, that's pretty much O'Neil/Adams' Green Arrow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post

I don't know, I guess he's just boring and looks like a 20 year old surfer to me....

EDIT: I may go back and read it again. It just didn't grab me but going back and rereading it may change my mind.
    Last edited by Ohnooze; 07-05-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Aquaman has had some pretty great runs since the 60's. I feel his character is flexible in what you can emphasize about him. He can be a king, he can be an outcast, he is a man caught between 2 worlds, etc. I like his Rebirth series.

Green Arrow started out as second rate Batman (with archery skills). His character only became interesting when he became socially aware & slightly abrasive. Since then he has some great runs. As far as his Rebirth series it is good but not outstanding.