Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default John Carpenter Says "The Walking Dead" is 'Milking' George Romero's Work

The legendary "Halloween" helmer criticizes "The Walking Dead" for rehashing elements of "Night of the Living Dead."

Full article here.

It's not a completely incorrect sentiment. Though, I think that was part of the point.

BANNED

Meh

Romero hasn't made anything worthwhile in almost 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    Meh

Romero hasn't made anything worthwhile in almost 30 years.
    Not the point Carpenter was making.

Nor is it even remotely relevant to having your work milked/copied/imitated by others.

At least WD is ok.

He should've used something else like.............................................. ....................Ghostbusters?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    At least WD is ok.

He should've used something else like.............................................. ....................Ghostbusters?
    Has The Walking Dead finally risen to the ranks of just being ok?

Most if not all Zombie works milk Romero's work to some extent, the entire style of slow shambling Zombies are called Romero zombies

Mighty Member

Sound's like Carpenter's never going to receive a offer to direct a episode of Walking Dead after this.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Sound's like Carpenter's never going to receive a offer to direct a episode of Walking Dead after this.
    LOL. I don't think he's interested.

BANNED

Every Zombie film since Romero's classic has "milked" the original concept. Whey you basically create something new... people copy it. Basically though... The Walking Dead reinvented the genre, or at least reinvigorated it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's not a completely incorrect sentiment. Though, I think that was part of the point.
    Quoted for truth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Not the point Carpenter was making.
    I understand his point...but who really cares?

Bram Stoker is widely credited for the popularity of the modern vampire...and movies, TV shows and literature have been piggybacking off of Stoker's ideas for the last several decades.

Tolkien is widely credited for the popularity of the fantasy/sword and sorcery genre in the modern day...

Guess I don't see what the big deal is.

If anything, The Walking Dead has reinvigorated Romero's concept. Because before TWD came along, zombie related media had been complete dogshit for years, with Romero being one of the primary culprits during that time with shitastic efforts like Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and the most colossal shit stain of them all...Survival of the Dead.

BANNED

He ain't wrong!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I remember Romero critiqued the show after that 1st season and didn't like it. Last year at Scarefest , I asked him if he had seen season #2 and the ending of that or Season #3 and above, Romero told me he hadn't seen any after it. I told him there was a nice homage to his Night of the Living Dead at end of season #2 and season #3 has a very nice Day of the Dead comparison in a way. Romero was surprised at this and told me he would have to check it out.

In a lot of cases , the older ones complaining have rarely watched an episode or seen anything when they do this. Romero himself just watched that 1st 6 episodes and quit more or less because Darabont was let go. Likely believing the show wouldn't get better. (he was wrong ...waaaaay waaaay wrong on that)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.