Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

So, what I'm getting from this thread is "No, don't do risky projects that might not sell, only do what sells! We need more Deadpool, and at least 4 more new versions of Spiderman, stat!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dang0 View Post
    So, what I'm getting from this thread is "No, don't do risky projects that might not sell, only do what sells! We need more Deadpool, and at least 4 more new versions of Spiderman, stat!"
    I think people would be more inclined to support books like this if they were accompanied by a decent marketing push and sales strategy, so that the books don't get cancelled at #6.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, the X-men books are treated as second tier books.
    Are they selling like second tier books? I figured the sales would be the opposite - they're hoping three books (four if you count Wolverine) would help avoid diluting X-book sales so they're overall stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Are they selling like second tier books? I figured the sales would be the opposite - they're hoping three books (four if you count Wolverine) would help avoid diluting X-book sales so they're overall stronger.
    No, the team books sell around 42k-47k.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I think people would be more inclined to support books like this if they were accompanied by a decent marketing push and sales strategy, so that the books don't get cancelled at #6.
    Except from what I read, the sentiment in this thread isn't 'this isn't going to be marketed properly, its 'this book won't sell so it shouldn't be made', which I feel is a bad message to send to Marvel.

I'm not saying this book will sell, but even if it doesn't, it couldstill be awesome. I'd rather have six really good issues of a comic that doesn't sell, then 100 issues of a mediocre bestseller.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

It's a stretch to call this a total waste or dumb or stupid, given the current climate of comics sales. In the last few years expectations about series longevity have lowered to the point where 12 issues for a brand-new title is considered a success in many circles. The GLA, however, is old property, it has a niche market that Marvel is reaching out to and wants to broaden (if the Squirrel Girl cutout is any hint), and definitely there is room for levity and wackiness in what is often a gritty and serious universe.

In other words? Wait and see. It could rise, or it could sink. I'm reserving my judgement until it actually arrives.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Don't know if it will succeed, but I'll never bash Marvel for trying different stuff. Loved the original specials written by Slot, and I love Rick & Morty. Don't know where my pull will be once this comes out but I think I'll give it a shot.

Spectacular Member SoupStainedTie's Avatar

Marvel has basically become a publisher of comedy comics and a studio of comedy films, so this series is born of that. They're experimenting with an old comedic property to see if it works in the new climate.

Forbush Man and Damage Control are probably not far behind.

And I bet they've been pleading with Ellis to do more Nextwave.

Amazing Member

Honestly, I think Marvel have found an area that they're really excelling at with their more light-hearted and inclusive series, and even some of the darker-hearted comedy series of recent years (anyone who's read Superior Foes of Spider-man can see the GLA-aping gestation of that particular team). Resurrecting the GLA right now seems like a brilliant idea - and having them go full meta by utilising the building popularity of Squirrel Girl as a gimmick is frankly, a touch of genius. I can see this new series getting some great cross-over potential, not only with Unbeatable SG and Deadpool but also Gwenpool and maybe, just maybe, a revitalised Nextwave or (AND!) Damage Control series?
    The notion that GLA are somehow taking up a 'slot' that a more worthy comic could potentially be filling is one of the silliest bits of tin-foil hattage I've read on here in a while... or it would be if it didn't keep being touted ad nauseum.
    There are no slots, people. Marvel will push out a comic it feels has potential to sell regardless of how many others it currently has. They don't have a limit.

BANNED

is squirrel girl even that popular in the marvel universe? seems like most people don't even know she exists let alone want her autograph

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    is squirrel girl even that popular in the marvel universe? seems like most people don't even know she exists let alone want her autograph
    Well, if in-universe, Deadpool went from mercenary to Iron-man-level of celebrity..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Okay. I was not expect this. Seriously this gets people thinking marvel on drugs? Not the marvel now dived thing last week? Sadly I don't think this will last long. I love this to last more then a few issues. We finally get a real avengers team book again just not the one we hope for.
    lol, that was probably their intention.
    "We're gonna bring back a classic Avengers team! ...The Great Lakes Avengers. :3"

I would get this if it was $3... and if it had the real Squirrel Girl in it.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dang0 View Post
    Except from what I read, the sentiment in this thread isn't 'this isn't going to be marketed properly, its 'this book won't sell so it shouldn't be made', which I feel is a bad message to send to Marvel.
    I'd rather have six really good issues of a comic that doesn't sell, then 100 issues of a mediocre bestseller.
    I would rather have Marvel TRY stuff like this versus 50 Deadpool or Peter Parker books that end pack dollar bins. Because they leave so many unsold issues.

I am not going to buy an X-Men (going on 7 years of not supporting them now) comic. I'll give this one a shot. Oh and the reason why I won't buy those others is because I can read them for free at the library for as long as I want.

A book like this-I might not find a copy to check out.

Or there is a year long waiting list like Ms Marvel & Miles always seem to have.

You have to look at it like Marvel is trying to make sure they get EVERYBODY's money some way or some how.

The usual guys can't always do it. And you can scream SJW and all that mess but at the end of the day-if Miles, Squirrel Girl & Ms Marvel can do what Steve Rodgers & X-Men can't-get kids reading. Give me more of those 3.

There is a reason kids are fighting over manga. There is a reason I see at comic cons kids DESTROY bins looking for Kyle, Static, Fantastic Four, Ms Marvel, Wally West and others-that get ton of hate around here-they find them interesting.

Let Marvel try this and who knows maybe if it works-we might see the books folks are screaming for.

BANNED

what's gonna make this any different than Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Gwenpool or any of the other comedy books marvel's done?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    what's gonna make this any different than Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Gwenpool or any of the other comedy books marvel's done?
    That is a team book instead of a solo book ?.