Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default question about Ibn al Xu'ffasch ?

ok this is about the Ibn al Xu'ffasch from the kingdom come universe. I was wondering is the name Ibn al Xu'ffasch one word or two ? example. is his first Ibn and his las al Xu'ffasch or maybe Ibn al then Xu'ffasch or is it just one word like Kaldur'ahm, kal-el or kon-el ?

It's Arabic, so al Xu'ffasch would be his full last name.

Look at this.

ibn.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirnotappearinginthisthread View Post
    It's Arabic, so al Xu'ffasch would be his full last name.
    so let me get this right his first is Ibn and last name is al Xu'ffasch ? if that's so then why is the al part not capitlised like Ibn and Xu'ffasch ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    so let me get this right his first is Ibn and last name is al Xu'ffasch ? if that's so then why is the al part not capitlised like Ibn and Xu'ffasch ?
    Possibly because that's how Arabic names might be capitalized.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

ok this is about the Ibn al Xu'ffasch from the kingdom come universe. I was wondering is the name Ibn al Xu'ffasch one word or two ? example. is his first Ibn and his las al Xu'ffasch or maybe Ibn al then Xu'ffasch or is it just one word like Kaldur'ahm, kal-el or kon-el ?
    I don't know how arabic works, particularly, but not all languages follow the English pattern of "name/last name". In portuguese, for instance, take Fire. Her name is always shown as Beatriz DaCosta (because people don't do proper research), but "DaCosta" doesn't exist. Her last name should be "Costa", and the correct form would be "Beatriz da Costa". The "da" translates roughly as "of", and is not capitalized. the 'al" here may work in a similar manner.

BANNED

I was wondering is the name Ibn al Xu'ffasch one word or two ?
    It's three words.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I don't know how arabic works, particularly, but not all languages follow the English pattern of "name/last name". In portuguese, for instance, take Fire. Her name is always shown as Beatriz DaCosta (because people don't do proper research), but "DaCosta" doesn't exist. Her last name should be "Costa", and the correct form would be "Beatriz da Costa". The "da" translates roughly as "of", and is not capitalized. the 'al" here may work in a similar manner.
    This. I'm not an expert but as far as I can tell, the "al-" part of Arabic names basically means "the". For example, Saddam Hussain al-Tikriti means "Saddam Hussain the Tikriti" (i.e. he was from Tikrit) while Bashar al-Assad apparently means "Bashar the Lion". It always seems to be written with a hyphen as well so I think it should really be Ibn al-Xu'ffasch.
    Last edited by Bruce Vain; 06-27-2014 at 11:52 PM.

BANNED

DC-Arabic seems to work diferently since Ra's al Ghul means head of the demon and isn't even a proper name but a title.

Put it under "didn't do the research".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Vain View Post
    This. I'm not an expert but as far as I can tell, the "al-" part of Arabic names basically means "the".
    It translates as "Son of the Bat", I don't think it's a "name" in the way we'd use it (like Al Smith) so much as a title. It COULD be a name, but I'd bet there's more to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    DC-Arabic seems to work diferently since Ra's al Ghul means head of the demon and isn't even a proper name but a title.

Put it under "didn't do the research".
    I wish I'd seen this first. I think you're right, it IS a title. (I learned SOME Arabic years ago, and am slowly trying to get back into understanding it)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's three words.
    three words. so his first name is "Ibn" his middle is "al" and last is "Xu'ffasch" ?

Are you sure your name isn't Richard Feder?

Are you from Fort Lee, New Jersey?

BANNED

It's Arabic. It's not made-up space alien language.

Ibn is his name, consider "al" like "of" and Xu'ffasch his family name. Just like Ra's al Ghul, just like Ayman al-Zawahiri. It's the Arabic version of saying "Arthur of Camelot"

Charles of Wales, for instance. That's just his actual name. There was a point in time when your last name was literally your place of origin or occupation.
    Last edited by ReverseReverseFlash; 07-01-2014 at 05:06 PM.

BANNED

three words. so his first name is "Ibn" his middle is "al" and last is "Xu'ffasch" ?
    It's like Victor Von Doom. Or Jack The Ripper.