pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default my LCS burned down... *cry* need help on picking its replacement.

So, my LCS burned down the other day. Well, not my only LCS. Thankfully, there are about 6~8 LCS's w/in 20ish miles of me. But this was the one that was a few blocks down the street. They gave me a 20% discount for having 20+ titles on my saver (i currently pull 25ish).

The owner is looking for a new location for his business, but isn't sure how long it'd take. After the sympathy phase, I realized I must start thinking about my comics. Here are the other LCS candidates to use temporarily (possibly permanently?):

- Option 1 is a handful of miles away, ~15 min drive. I already have a small saver there. no real benefits besides 10% off TPBs. Owner is very nice and hospitable. Some other workers are meh, but none are rude. I'm usually in this one's area 1-3 times a week.

- Option 2 is about 15 and 20 miles away (it has 2 locs), 20ish mins to both locs. No benefits to saver, besides a pts-based account (that you don't need a saver for anyway) where you can redeem the pts for free items (like a free TPB after $200/pts). Almost every employee is nice, if not just kinda neutral, but they go out of their way to help. I maybe drive by this one's areas once a month, if even that, weekends only

- Option 3 is 11 miles away, ~20 min drive (you getting the pattern of traffic here?). It has the same saver perk as the store down the street - 20% off 20+ titles saved. Perhaps the nicest employees I've seen in an LCS (besides #1's owner). I pass by this one (it's off the fwy) almost every weekend.

Hmm, now that I've typed it out, Option 3 seems like the obvious winner. But Option 1 is closer and is my favorite of all 4. It's only downside is there isn't a big enough saving for pulling so many titles, but it'd save me the most on gas (though I think the gas wouldn't outweigh the comic savings if I went to Option 3).

Do you guys have any advice or input? If it's just temporary (1-2 months), does my decision differ than if it had to be a long-term decision? I'd like to decide ASAP, but want to make sure I make the right decision. Of course, once the one down the street re-opens (assuming new location is still close), I'll go back to that one. Just not sure when that'll be. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 07-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I have 2 Comic Book Stores and 1 Book Store within driving distance and I shop at all three. Why limit yourself. You don't have to sign a Loyalty Pledge to go to any of them, do you?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have 2 Comic Book Stores and 1 Book Store within driving distance and I shop at all three. Why limit yourself. You don't have to sign a Loyalty Pledge to go to any of them, do you?
    Agreed.

Any reason not to just buy a couple of titles from each store until you get a feel for which one will be the best store for you?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I also agree. I visit two shops regularly, one in downtown Philly some five miles from my house, the other at the King of Prussia Mall, 22 miles away in the western burbs. I like both places which have friendly, helpful employees, the co-owner of the Philly store loves to talk sports with me, a definite bonus. No need to limit yourself, go to all three.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

There's also that you'd be spreading you "Comics" budget out between three stores while working out if any one of them is for you.

Can't see a downside to each shop getting a piece of the pie.

If I were in your spot, I'd be concerned about a few issues (heh, see what I did there):

Does the store handle quick sellouts well? Actually, can I get a copy of a new surprisingly popular book if I'm not there within an hour of stuff being on the shelves?
    Do they have knowledge about the non-big two books I order and read? I'm mainly a superhero guy but seriously, a store should have a clyue about books like Love and Rockets and Cerebus.
    Is there a polite and hopefully knowledgeable staff? If the only two books I buy in a week are Providence and Squirrel Girl, I want a judgment free register.

Ask the questions that you think are important. After all, you're not me and your priorities are differwent.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Agreed.

Any reason not to just buy a couple of titles from each store until you get a feel for which one will be the best store for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I also agree. I visit two shops regularly, one in downtown Philly some five miles from my house, the other at the King of Prussia Mall, 22 miles away in the western burbs. I like both places which have friendly, helpful employees, the co-owner of the Philly store loves to talk sports with me, a definite bonus. No need to limit yourself, go to all three.
    well, I did say I do stop by all 3 of them throughout the month... -___________-

The question was about which should I use for my saver, i.e., which discount should it take advantage of and at what compromise (i.e. location, gas, convenience). I'm not going to go to all 3 equally, it's just not plausible. Why only pull 10 at the one that gives 20% discount for 20? But are the extra drives worth it? etc

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If I were in your spot, I'd be concerned about a few issues (heh, see what I did there):

Does the store handle quick sellouts well? Actually, can I get a copy of a new surprisingly popular book if I'm not there within an hour of stuff being on the shelves?
    Do they have knowledge about the non-big two books I order and read? I'm mainly a superhero guy but seriously, a store should have a clyue about books like Love and Rockets and Cerebus.
    Is there a polite and hopefully knowledgeable staff? If the only two books I buy in a week are Providence and Squirrel Girl, I want a judgment free register.

Ask the questions that you think are important. After all, you're not me and your priorities are differwent.
    Yeah, #3 - which also has the 20% discount - also WAAAAY overstocks every title. For example, they've had plenty of every Rebirth title in excess of 30+ the weekend after their release date, except for Batman. I'm leaning towards that one, even though it's not as convenient as #1. I'm leaning towards that one and I guess driving there every weekend.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song