Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Finished Year One. Overall I enjoyed it. I'm not much of a Silver age guy but it was nice to see some JLA roots. Was there a tie in between issues 11 and 12? Issue 12 seemed to jump right to the invasion already happening and other heroes just showing up out of nowhere. I was shocked to see the JLA being funded by Ollie in the end.

Now it's time for The Nail, Another Nail, Joker: Last Laugh (is JLA in this one?), and then finally Infinite Crisis.

I do still need to read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour: Crisis in Time. Are there trades available for these?
    Yeah both are in trade. CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS only reprints the 12 main issues though, none of the tie-ins (I still love reading that occasionally).

The same is true of ZERO HOUR, I still don't like that trade with the extreme damage that series did to the JSA but your mileage may vary.

Cheers.

James.

Are there any tie-ins for Crisis and Zero Hour that are required for the read?

Incredible Member

Are there any tie-ins for Crisis and Zero Hour that are required for the read?
    None of it is really *required* but I do feel that reading GREEN LANTERN adds a lot to the over-all story (I also enjoy the GREEN LANTERN CORPS series that span out of it).

If you get (going from memory) GREEN LANTERN #197-200 then GREEN LANTERN CORPS 201 to whenever that ends it showssome of the effects of CRISIS (you might also want to read LEGENDS to see Wally become the Flash for the first time)

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

James.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    None of it is really *required* but I do feel that reading GREEN LANTERN adds a lot to the over-all story (I also enjoy the GREEN LANTERN CORPS series that span out of it).

If you get (going from memory) GREEN LANTERN #197-200 then GREEN LANTERN CORPS 201 to whenever that ends it shows some of the effects of CRISIS (you might also want to read LEGENDS to see Wally become the Flash for the first time)

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

James.
    Green Lantern 194-200 are in the "Green Lantern Sector 2814" volume 3 TPB that came out in 2014 and is still in print. The post COIE issues (201-206) are in "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" vol 3 that was published in 2010

Also of note is DC are publishing a new TPB called "Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion" due out in November which according to the solicit (which might not be 100% accurate):

In 1985, DC Comics dramatically altered comics' original universe with CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS,a 12-issue series that rocked the comics community, tragically dooming some of DC's most belovedcharacters and drastically altering others. While the Crisis on Infinite Earths raged across the many worlds of the DC Universe in the early 1980s, the action spilled over into numerous comic books, which are collected here for the first time.

This new title collects numerous issues of series including ACTION COMICS, BATMAN, DETECTIVE COMICS, FIRESTORM, GREEN LANTERN, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, THE NEW TEEN TITANS, SWAMP THING, WONDER WOMAN and many more for the first time.

There is also a "Legends Companion" planned which according to the solicits:
    In the wake of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, the heroes of the DC Universe must find a new purpose and direction in the battle for justice! Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and more have dedicated their lives to protecting the innocent and defending justice. But when G. Gordon Godfrey arrives and acts on behalf of Darkseid to create a hate campaign that outlaws super-heroic activities, the world's greatest find themselves fighting the very people they swore to protect! Features appearances by many of DC's top heroes, including Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and Firestorm (currently seen on the CW TV series DC's Legends of Tomorrow). Collects BATMAN #401, DETECTIVE COMICS #568, GREEN LANTERN CORPS #207, COSMIC BOY #1-4, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #259-261, SECRET ORIGINS #10 and #14, FURY OF FIRESTORM #55-56, BLUE BEETLE #9-10, WARLORD #114-115, SUPERMAN #3, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #426 and ACTION COMICS #586.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Green Lantern 194-200 are in the "Green Lantern Sector 2814" volume 3 TPB that came out in 2014 and is still in print. The post COIE issues (201-206) are in "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" vol 3 that was published in 2010

Also of note is DC are publishing a new TPB called "Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion" due out in November which according to the solicit (which might not be 100% accurate):

In 1985, DC Comics dramatically altered comics' original universe with CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS,a 12-issue series that rocked the comics community, tragically dooming some of DC's most belovedcharacters and drastically altering others. While the Crisis on Infinite Earths raged across the many worlds of the DC Universe in the early 1980s, the action spilled over into numerous comic books, which are collected here for the first time.

This new title collects numerous issues of series including ACTION COMICS, BATMAN, DETECTIVE COMICS, FIRESTORM, GREEN LANTERN, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, THE NEW TEEN TITANS, SWAMP THING, WONDER WOMAN and many more for the first time.

There is also a "Legends Companion" planned which according to the solicits:
    In the wake of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, the heroes of the DC Universe must find a new purpose and direction in the battle for justice! Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and more have dedicated their lives to protecting the innocent and defending justice. But when G. Gordon Godfrey arrives and acts on behalf of Darkseid to create a hate campaign that outlaws super-heroic activities, the world's greatest find themselves fighting the very people they swore to protect! Features appearances by many of DC's top heroes, including Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and Firestorm (currently seen on the CW TV series DC's Legends of Tomorrow). Collects BATMAN #401, DETECTIVE COMICS #568, GREEN LANTERN CORPS #207, COSMIC BOY #1-4, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #259-261, SECRET ORIGINS #10 and #14, FURY OF FIRESTORM #55-56, BLUE BEETLE #9-10, WARLORD #114-115, SUPERMAN #3, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #426 and ACTION COMICS #586.
    I'd somehow missed out on the solicits for the "CRISIS ON INFINTE EARTHS COMPANION" and the "LEGENDS COMPANION". I'll have to add those to the amazon wish list for Xmas!

Cheers.

James.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Brad Meltzer is my favorite JLA writer ever and JLA is my favorite title. I thought Identity Crisis was that good. I know it's not a super popular opinion but it's always nice to see someone else saying they enjoyed it.
    I know this response is late but Meltzer has written one of my favourite comics... one that made me come back after almost outgrowing comics: Green Arrow Archer's Quest

This thread made me read Morrison's JLA and I've ordered Waid's already...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I'd somehow missed out on the solicits for the "CRISIS ON INFINTE EARTHS COMPANION" and the "LEGENDS COMPANION". I'll have to add those to the amazon wish list for Xmas!

Cheers.

James.
    No problem, happy to help

Diggin' The Nail so far.

Diggin' The Nail so far.
    The Nail is awesome.

If you're planning to read Crisis on Infinite Earths eventually you might want to stop what your doing with Crisis events and read that one now. It predates all events that followed and at least one of the Crisis events is way more fun if you've read CoIE first.

That and Zero Hour, I should read before Infinite Crisis and post-crisis JLA.... hmmmm.

I also heard that 52 takes place in between Infinite Crisis and post-crisis JLA issue #0?

That and Zero Hour, I should read before Infinite Crisis and post-crisis JLA.... hmmmm.

I also heard that 52 takes place in between Infinite Crisis and post-crisis JLA issue #0?
    I don't have my history straight on all that but you should definitely read Crisis or Infinite Earths before Infinite Crisis.

Incredible Member

That is correct, you should really go INFINITE CRISIS-52 (which gives you some *unique* takes on the League)-JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #0-6. When you've got up to that first arc we can talk about the second (key point is that you need some JUSTICE SOCIETY OFAMERICA issues too)

I personally would recommend FINAL NIGHT as a very good read too.

Cheers.

James.

Yeah, there is some sort of JSA/JLA team up, I gotta grab the 2 JSA issues before I begin.

So.... Nail really kicked ass. I loved it from beginning to end and the unique take on that DCU. I will never look at Jimmy Olsen the same way ever again hahaha. Nail is now right up there as one of my fav JLA stories. I also enjoyed the fact that GL was a big focus in it, Jordan is the ****. I did however have 2 gripes about Nail.

#1) It was revealed Jimmy tried to join the JLA and was denied which is what caused this. But no JLA member made mention of this in the beginning of the first book during his interview. So it kinda felt like it came out of nowhere when they revealed it in the end. I guess that was done to keep things secret for the big reveal.

#2) No GLC/Darkseid War.... I was disappointed.... until I just started reading Another Nail book 1. I am now satisfied. Seeing the Corps and Apokalips going at it was great. Darkseid was a complete bad ass in this. I'd have to rank his bad assery in this right up with his JL Origins and Darkseid War appearances in New 52.
    Last edited by Forever Knight; 10-31-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Yeah, there is some sort of JSA/JLA team up, I gotta grab the 2 JSA issues before I begin.

So.... Nail really kicked ass. I loved it from beginning to end and the unique take on that DCU. I will never look at Jimmy Olsen the same way ever again hahaha. Nail is now right up there as one of my fav JLA stories. I also enjoyed the fact that GL was a big focus in it, Jordan is the ****. I did however have 2 gripes about Nail.

#1) It was revealed Jimmy tried to join the JLA and was denied which is what caused this. But no JLA member made mention of this in the beginning of the first book during his interview. So it kinda felt like it came out of nowhere when they revealed it in the end. I guess that was done to keep things secret for the big reveal.

#2) No GLC/Darkseid War.... I was disappointed.... until I just started reading Another Nail book 1. I am now satisfied. Seeing the Corps and Apokalips going at it was great. Darkseid was a complete bad ass in this. I'd have to rank his bad assery in this right up with his JL Origins and Darkseid War appearances in New 52.
    I'm embarrassed to say I've only read THE NAIL once and that was when I rented it from the Library about 10 years ago! I do love ANOTHER NAIL though. Especially because of the GLC involvement.

Cheers.

James.

Another Nail was right up there with The Nail. I was hoping it was the Anti-Monitor that was revealed to be the big bad at the end there but it still turned out solid.

So I decided to push Infinite Crisis and Post-Crisis JLA back a bit and read COIE and Zero Hour before going back. That will complete everything I wanted to read Pre-Crisis for the JLA stuff.

Just finishing up Joker: Last Laugh (which I also had a backtrack on)