Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Identity Crisis time is now!
    I'll be honest. I've been following this thread just waiting for you to get to Identity Crisis. Dying to know what you think of it.

I'd be happy to get issue by issue responses from you on this one series but I understand if you don't have time or inclination to do that.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I hated Syndicate Rules. I like Kurt Busiek when he does the more "special" projects like Marvels, Astro City and Secret Identity, but I don't think I get on with his standard superhero stuff at all.

Kurt Busiek is one of my absolute favorites, but Syndicate Rules was a disappointment. It ran too long and didn't amount to much. The magic he used for Avengers was not used for JLA, for whatever reason.

Incredible Member

I have now finished my re-read of Morrison through to FLASHPOINT (its been fun!) so I''m ready to rank my own preference of JLA writers (I suspect it will be unpopular but hey its my opinion!)

I'll just go up to INFINITE CRISIS now though, so that I don't rush ahead and spoil what you all have to read

1) Mark Waid (easily the best writer in this period IMHO, he had a perfect balance, for me, of character development and action

2) Joe Kelly (I liked his character developments, what he did with Plastic Man and Martian Manhunter in particular)

3) Geoff Johns (I appreciated how he handled the fall out of Identity Crisis)

4) Grant Morrison (I thought he'd be higher then this but I think there was just too much action at the cost of character development for my liking personally, I also wish he had kept Conner Hawke around longer but that's just a personal thing!)

5) Kurt Busiek (one of my favourite writers in the industry but he didn't have long enough to truly find is feet but he's still leaps and bounds above the 3 below)

6) Chris Claremont (I'd like to put him higher but his JLA arc was weak, I'm not a fan of horror stories in the JLA anyway)

7) Chuck Austen (he did good work BUT its just not up to the standard of the others remotely, I would say that his JLA arc is amongst his strongest works though)

8) Denny O'Neil (this was depressingly bad to my mind, the story was just shallow and weak and almost caused me to drp JLA, in fact it did I only felt it in a few years ago in a cheap bundle. The art was bad and the story was bad here IMHO)

I'll insert the post INFINTE CRISIS pre-FLASHPOINT order of my personal faves when you've caught up a bit Forever Knight (and others) :smile:

Cheers.

James.

Incredible Member

Again with the double post, sorry my bad! (computer is causing issues)

Fav JLA stories up to this point:
    1. World War III
    2. Pain of the Gods
    3. DC One Million
    4. Trial by Fire
    5. The Obsidian Age
    6, JLA/Avengers
    7. Rock of Ages

Had to delay my Crisis read. Had a death in the family and the time I did have for reading was for the latest DC Rebirth releases. Next weekend I hope to finally start Identity Crisis.

Incredible Member

Had to delay my Crisis read. Had a death in the family and the time I did have for reading was for the latest DC Rebirth releases. Next weekend I hope to finally start Identity Crisis.
    Sorry to hear about the death in the family (its never an easy time) and enjoy the IDENTITY CRISIS re-read when you get to it.

Cheers.

James.

Just catching up on this weeks DCU Rebirth releases and then it's back on track with JLA (Identity Crisis).

Are there any important tie ins for Identity Crisis or can I just read #1-7?

Damn, 2 issues in and I love this. It's dark, I hope Meltzer's run on JLA is dark and serious like this as well.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Just catching up on this weeks DCU Rebirth releases and then it's back on track with JLA (Identity Crisis).

Are there any important tie ins for Identity Crisis or can I just read #1-7?
    A few solo titles have important tie-ins. It's not necessary but "The Secret of Barry Allen" is a fantastic Flash tie-in.

Captain Boomerang?....really?

2 issues left.

Pretty great series. I enjoyed the big reveal in issue 7 but I have several gripes.

1. Atom's wife brought a flame thrower to scare Sue?
    2. When She was using the old Atom suit to hang herself how the hell did the suit magically disappear off her body or is that something the Atom suit is capable of doing?

Time for the finale 2 arcs of JLA (pre-Crisis)

Damn, 2 issues in and I love this. It's dark, I hope Meltzer's run on JLA is dark and serious like this as well.
    I like Identity Crisis. Sadly, Meltzer's JLA is a bit of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I like Identity Crisis. Sadly, Meltzer's JLA is a bit of a mess.
    I don't think Meltzer's JLA was as good as ID Crisis but I don't think anything is as good as ID Crisis. It's my favorite JLA story and JLA is my favorite title.

I still thoroughly loved Meltzer's JLA. Loved the lineup, loved the character moments (nobody does them better than Meltzer), loved the focus on Red Tornado(!) in his first arc. His second arc, The Lightning Saga, was less great but still very good. The one-shot with Arsenal and Vixen was pretty rad too. And Benes was a good choice of artist.

The fallout from ID Crisis made for some great comics too, especially the Crisis of Conscience storyline co-written by Johns. It was when ID Crisis was finally over and its aftermath was over and Meltzer's run was over that JLA got really bad.

If Meltzer's JLA was "a bit of a mess," what was Robinson's?! His JLA: Cry for Justice and subsequent JLA issues were among the worst I've ever read.

I'm pleased to learn OP dug ID Crisis even if he/she had quibbles. Forever Knight: You have some really great stuff still to come and then Robinson comes along and the whole thing goes to hell. I know you're wanting to read the series in a comprehensive way but you're not missing anything by skipping anything JL(A) with Robinson as writer. That stuff was stanky.

What early JLA issue #'s did this Secret Society finding out the JLA identities occur in? I'd like to read those along side the final 2 arcs of Pre-Crisis JLA