Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Great Lakes Avengers Appreciation

In anticipation of the return of the amazing, uncanny, astonishing, sensational, same old and - almost - equal Great Lake Avengers, I came to the realization that the greatest superhero team that the Great Lakes area has ever seen doesn't have an appreciation thread. But that's a mistake that I'm correcting here, but first...

Who the heck are the Great Lakes Avengers?! Well, you can read all that on the CBR story I've just linked but allow me to give you a run down with some help of Comic Vine and Marvel Wikia.

After Mr. Immortal discovered his powers after failing to killing himself, he decided to become a superhero and join a team of like-minded people. After placing a personal ad in a local newspaper, Mr. Immortal was joined by Big Bertha, Dinah Soar, Doorman and Flatman to make the Great Lakes Avengers. They also attracted the attention of a sexual deviant known only as Leather Boy who completely misunderstood the ad. The Great Lakes Avengers were created by John Byrne and first appeared in West Coast Avengers #46.

You can read a lot more about them on the following links:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/great-...rs/4060-23989/

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Great_L...rs_(Earth-616)

Today was announced on Nerdist that the Great Lakes Avengers are getting their very own first ever brand new ongoing comic, how cool is that? With the writing of Zac Gordon (Rick and Morty, Magical Game Time) - never heard of him - and Will Robson (Star Lord), based on the cover alone that you can see below, it seems at the very least that it's going to be a pretty looking comic:

And even tho I haven't ever heard of this Zac Gordon guy, I did some research and came around to this:

It seems he's the guy behind these cartoons, and I guess he just made me a new fan because this stuff is hillarious and I need to check this out, do you think it's on Netflix? Oh man I'm so ready for this!!!

Here's a basic run down on the team's roster:

Big Bertha: Wisconsin's most famous super model, Ashley Crawford possesses the mutant ability to transform from trim and svelte to remarkably obese and back through the power of regurgitation.

Mr. Immortal: Possesses the superhuman ability of immortality. Before his untimely death, his teammate and sometimes lover Dinah Soar was the only one able to calm him down when he was revived, as he was prone to fits of rages upon returning to life. This unique ability always gave him the courage to try daring, reckless life-endangering stunts and he was quite ready to sacrifice himself for the rest of the team. It also left him in frequent states of depression by having to watch his loved ones die around him. He discovered his ability after attempting suicide several times.

Flat Man: Dr. Val Ventura, a.k.a. Flat Man, was created by John Byrne and debuted in Avengers West Coast (Vol 2) #46, July 1989. He's one of the only openly gay superheroes.

Door Man: Before joining the Great Lakes Avengers, DeMarr Davis was an average American youngster. Sometime during his years in college, DeMarr's mother died. After completing four years of college and three years of graduate school,[1] DeMarr decided to answer Mr. Immortal's newspaper ad asking "costumed adventurers" to join together and form a team. DeMarr, being a mutant[2] and possessing his unique teleporting ability, is able to allow his teammates entrance into almost any structure, thus creating both a stealthy entrance as well as a surprise attack.[3] He joined the original incarnation of the Great Lakes Avengers.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Really looking forward to the new GLA book myself.

I've only read the GLA: Misassembled mini and the Deadpool crossover previously but both were good fun. Best of luck to Gordon and Robson.

The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar

Happy Birthday John Byrne!!!

The GLA were already quite defined from their first appearance, John Byrne clearly had an exact idea how these oddball heroes were from the start. http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....ay_john_byrne/
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

Looking forward to this for sure!

BANNED

i should say though that Zac gorman was behind the first couple of issues for the rick and morty comic book he's got nothing to do with the tv show

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thank you Zauri for this up-date--
    missed--skipped--the GLA first time around, having given up on Marvel abut a decade back. Nowadays my only two regular Marvel comics are Squirrel girl and Moon Girl/Devil Dino. & I'd be tempted to follow Doreen Green to the GLA...
    but jeez, Bertha's surely not the character I remember-- and none of the others are familiar to me at all.
    hopefully some more GLA fans here-on will be able to convince me to (oh no!) expand my buying list further....
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Usagi, Velvet